Rank the Goalkeepers

Hardest list I've had to do. Firmly expect people to completely rearrange this list. I see it as being there's 2 absolutely shite goalkeepers in this division in Barkas and Laidlaw. Clark is in 10th because he's a dodgy mess 95% of the time and a super hero the other 5%. If he has a big season this year, he can shoot up the list. Early signs indicate that Legzdins and Macey can shoot right up the list by the season end if they keep up their early showings, but still too early for me to put them above proven quantities like Alnwick & Stryjek just yet even if I think Macey & Legzdins are better. Craig Gordon was a better keeper than McGregor at his peak, but McGregor has improved massively as he got older and arguably had his best ever season last year.

1. Allan McGregor

2. Craig Gordon

3. Benji Siegrist

4. Joe Lewis (Previously would have had him above Siegrist but form dipped last season)

5. Liam Kelly

6. Jak Alnwick

7. Max Stryjek

8.  Matt Macey (Will no doubt break into the top 5/6 keepers by season end IMO)

9. Adam Legzdins

10. Zander Clark

11. Vasilis Barkas

12. Ross Laidlaw

So, feel free to laugh at, ridicule and change this list. I wanna see yours.

Must say, I think this is the strongest this division has been in this position for a number of years. No shite like Jack Hamilton, Craig Samson or the like.

Edited by Ludo*1

14 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Well, indeed.  You could swap pretty much any of the keepers of the bottom eight clubs and it would make nary a difference. 

You honestly think he's at the same level as Kelly or Alnwick to name just 2?

My wee system has them ranked thusly last season, using only first choice keepers based on mins played, league only...

1. Siegrist
  2. Alnwick
  3. McGregor
  4. Kelly
  5. Stryjek
  6. Marciano
  7. Fulton
  8. Lewis
  9. Bain
  10. Laidlaw
  11. Rogers
  12. Clark

Doohan and McCrorie below Clark, with Barkas just above Clark. McLaughlin in 6th above Marciano.

Feels pretty good tbh. 

Obviously a level down but Legzdins would come in 7th between Marciano and Fulton, if you subbed his performances last season into this group, while Gordon would be just below Laidlaw. Expect I'll get pelters for the Gordon bit, but on paper he was an average Championship keeper last season. No idea about Macey, suspect he'll be fairly invisible most of the time so plop him in around 5th or something, he'll just mostly do his job without any shite or spectacular.

Edited by RandomGuy.

40 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

My wee system has them ranked thusly last season, using only first choice keepers based on mins played, league only...

1. Siegrist
  2. Alnwick
  3. McGregor
  4. Kelly
  5. Stryjek
  6. Marciano
  7. Fulton
  8. Lewis
  9. Bain
  10. Laidlaw
  11. Rogers
  12. Clark

Doohan and McCrorie below Clark, with Barkas just above Clark. McLaughlin in 6th above Marciano.

Feels pretty good tbh. 

Obviously a level down but Legzdins would come in 7th between Marciano and Fulton, if you subbed his performances last season into this group, while Gordon would be just below Laidlaw. Expect I'll get pelters for the Gordon bit, but on paper he was an average Championship keeper last season. No idea about Macey, suspect he'll be fairly invisible most of the time so plop him in around 5th or something, he'll just mostly do his job without any shite or spectacular.

I want no part of this alleged system

44 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

1. Siegrist
  2. Alnwick
  3. McGregor
  4. Kelly
  5. Stryjek
  6. Marciano
  7. Fulton
  8. Lewis
  9. Bain
  10. Laidlaw
  11. Rogers
  12. Clark

Feels pretty good tbh. 

You've just made your system lose all credibility.

Although, it did successfully identify 4 shite keepers at the bottom so I'd suggest there's some promise. Need to tweak it massively though.

45 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

1. Siegrist
  2. Alnwick
  3. McGregor
  4. Kelly
  5. Stryjek
  6. Marciano
  7. Fulton
  8. Lewis
  9. Bain
  10. Laidlaw
  11. Rogers
  12. Clark

Feels pretty good tbh. 

System:

https://wordwall.net/resource/185439/math/random-number-wheel-1-12

1 minute ago, Ludo*1 said:

You've just made your system lose all credibility.

Although, it did successfully identify 4 shite keepers at the bottom so I'd suggest there's some promise. Need to tweak it massively though.

It's hard to use on keepers as there's so few metrics available. His save % and "prevented goals" figures were both average in the Championship last season.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

It's hard to use on keepers as there's so few metrics available. His save % and "prevented goals" figures were both average in the Championship last season.

A keeper at the top team in the league will naturally have lower percentages in these percentiles due to their defence (And the keeper organising said defence) dealing with the simple stuff that weaker teams need their keepers to bail them out with. As it is, Gordon was fantastic last season and ke[t Hearts from going through a real bad sticky spell. His influence was evident when he was away on Scotland duty and that Ross Stewart guy came in for a couple of games..

1 minute ago, Ludo*1 said:

A keeper at the top team in the league will naturally have lower percentages in these percentiles due to their defence (And the keeper organising said defence) dealing with the simple stuff that weaker teams need their keepers to bail them out with. As it is, Gordon was fantastic last season and ke[t Hearts from going through a real bad sticky spell. His influence was evident when he was away on Scotland duty and that Ross Stewart guy came in for a couple of games..

Quite.  He also had to play behind an abysmal back line and made about 15 incredible saves through the season

Just now, Ludo*1 said:

Then why is McGregor, who faced almost no shots last season, so high in the top flight one?

I've got xG per shot figures/goals conceded per shot/other metrics created, to try and account for different keepers facing different challenges. Been fucking about it for a few weeks and Gordon is literally always average based on last season.

Honestly some players just aren't liked on paper as its impossible to quantify what they bring through numbers, Gordon is probably one of those.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Then why is McGregor, who faced almost no shots last season, so high in the top flight one?

I've got xG per shot figures/goals conceded per shot/other metrics created, to try and account for different keepers facing different challenges. Been fucking about it for a few weeks and Gordon is literally always average based on last season.

Honestly some players just aren't liked on paper as its impossible to quantify what they bring through numbers, Gordon is probably one of those.

Out of interest, how does Stewart compare in his limited appearances to Gordon? Is there a substantial drop?