Lowland league Attendances

The Faceman

On 27/05/2022 at 20:09, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Now that Broomhill have the Open Goal lads in the sky's the limit. Probably gonna need to move matches to Hampden for the bigger games.

Broomhill v Stirling Uni at Hampden, guaranteed sell-out.

On 11/05/2022 at 10:10, The Faceman said:

This table includes the following stats.

The complete league table

The home attendances - Total - games and average

The away attendances - Total - games and average

The cup games are the next section

and finally the totals.

Please remember there are still 2 Bonnyrigg, 1 East Kilbride, 1 Bo'ness United and 1 Gala Fairydean Rovers matches to go to complete this table. 

Once again sadly we have no Fraserburgh v Bonnyrigg Rose number but hopeful of getting it....

Again thank you to the clubs supporters and guys on here for your help

LOWCOMP2.JPG

Looking at that table the Colt teams attendance’s are pretty poor considering it’s the 1st season with a novelty factor for “local fans”. Celtic B not much better than Spartans and Rangers B only 318 over 16 when you remove their derby game of 9000.  For or against Colts those numbers are surely poorer than the Old Firm would have expected and are hardly likely to convince the SPFL their inclusion is a benefit to members. 

3 hours ago, San Starko Rover said:

Looking at that table the Colt teams attendance’s are pretty poor considering it’s the 1st season with a novelty factor for “local fans”. Celtic B not much better than Spartans and Rangers B only 318 over 16 when you remove their derby game of 9000.  For or against Colts those numbers are surely poorer than the Old Firm would have expected and are hardly likely to convince the SPFL their inclusion is a benefit to members. 

It doesn't really matter what Celtic and Rangers home attendances are though, because for the LL clubs it's all about getting OF fans through their own gates. 

Not just the OF but I've always wondered why fans don't bother watching their youth & reserve teams - these kids are probably the future,aren't they ? That aside there are some decent crowds in the Lowland, compared to spfl2, if you can get 350+ at this level, well done everyone.Again well done Faceman and others, excellent work 👏

On 03/06/2022 at 11:54, Andy groundhopper said:

Not just the OF but I've always wondered why fans don't bother watching their youth & reserve teams - these kids are probably the future,aren't they ? That aside there are some decent crowds in the Lowland, compared to spfl2, if you can get 350+ at this level, well done everyone.Again well done Faceman and others, excellent work 👏

Can't speak for fans of other clubs, but sadly Hearts youth and reserve teams always seem to play on weekday afternoons making it near impossible to go and watch them. Our youth teams primarily play their games up at Oriam which is on the edge of Edinburgh, but previously the reserve team played games out in Stirling.

I've watched the youth teams a few times but only usually when it's been played at Tynecastle, which only tends to happen if its the Youth Cup, particularly the latter stages. Only other youth match I've attended was a youth derby played at Ainslie Park. Thankfully it was played at night time and got a decent turn out. I'd personally love to watch the youth teams more, but as mentioned, for whatever reasons, the games are just not played at suitable times and locations for the average punter.

• 2 months later...
33 minutes ago, seenitall said:

Absolutely no way was there just 38 more people at the BU v UoS game than the CC game .

Yeah I was at the UofS game too and that seems low. A few kids snuck in for free that might not be counted and maybe a few complimentaries for the day... but I'd have thought closer to and maybe a little over 300.

11 minutes ago, Cowdenleith said:

Small sample but Staunch and Shellick B teams really look like they are going to be packing the crowds in this season.

Premiership season has now started. Going by last year it will take a dip. More noticeably against those teams that don't have much of a support themselves.

Year to year comparison 2021-22 to 2022-23

Celtic B

Berwick 459 down to 405

CSS 223 down to 127

Spartans 317 down to 255

Rangers B

CSS 207 up to 361

Cumbernauld Colts 620 down to 418

East Kilbride 305 up to 556

1 hour ago, Benidorm said:

Broomhill crowd looked visibly less v Berwick.

Not sustainable courting the Old Firm wee team coin. You already have B teams, womens teams, all the different ex junior mobs who lean one way or another to compete with. A saturated market.

Noticed that as well.

Happy to announce the 500+ crowds on the socials but not a peep about Saturday. 

Looked somewhere between 100-150 to me on the highlights if you're lucky.

13 hours ago, Pyramid Watcher said:

Sounds low for Shire?

Sadly 80 was the correct figure for Shire v Braves.

It is our worst LL home crowd ever and worst home competitive crowd for a very long time (potential ever if u are not including some shire cup matches in the last couple of decades)

On 09/08/2022 at 12:45, Dead said:

...(potential ever if u are not including some shire cup matches in the last couple of decades)

Definitely not ever in terms of number actually going through the gates having been at plenty of your games at the old Shire park in the early 1980s.

On 11/08/2022 at 10:39, LongTimeLurker said:

Definitely not ever in terms of number actually going through the gates having been at plenty of your games at the old Shire park in the early 1980s.

Of the 220 odd competitive home matches Shire played from 1980/81 to 1989/90 I am only missing details of the "official" crowds from 6 Stirlingshire Cup matches and 1 Anglo Scottish Cup match. The lowest "official" crowd from that period was 119 v Stranraer on 4/4/1990 in 2nd Division.  The only other "official" crowd under 150 in the 1980s was 130 v Stranraer on 6/9/1986 in 2nd Division.

Like you what the "official" crowd and what the actual crowd was were on occasion 2 completely different things. I remember going the League Cup match at Firs v Arbroath on 11/8/1988 and been stunned when the crowd was claimed to have been 600 when it though it was nearer 100. Certainly in the 1990s when counting the crowds we included everyone there including the ambulance staff when other clubs in out league did their counting differently.  

I have Shire crowd details all the way back to 1880/81 and the 80 named v Braves is the lowest ever given numbered crowd for a competitive match in our history though I have no doubt there have been lower actual crowds. We just will never be able to find out. In the earlier days crowds were given sometimes as a number but mainly as things like "large crowd", "disappointing crowd" etc. We will never know what was meant by a "meagre crowd" when the same season #Shire would play to home crowds of 1000 or more. There are 2 potential awful crowds that stick out 1) "A few dozen" v Rumford Rovers on 1/11/1890 in Stirlingshire Cup 1st Round and 2) "Bare Handful" on 20/10/1934 v Montrose in Division Two.

One final thing to mention is that the supposed record low crowd of 32 at Firs Park on 15/4/1939 v Leith Athletic in Division Two is an error. The Falkirk Herald actual called the crowd "a mere handful". Then the match comments went onto say that the crowd was counted at exactly 32 5 minutes before kick off, most of them huddled in a little group behind the shelter of the covered enclosure. By the time the game was in progress there was about 100 spectators.  Gate receipts were about £5.