Explain your profile picture

Lofarl

I used to post on a forum about the game battlefield 2.   It was the first computer game I was really into.   There was a guy on that forum I liked that used the profile pic I now use.    I just find the image funny.  Anyway.

Do you judge people by their profile picture or signature?  There’s a few people who for some reason I think are total bellends solely based on the picture they use or their stupid signature.  I know I shouldn’t but I do.  Also people that use that Kenneth Williams pic.

So.  Explain why you choose the picture you use.

Edited by Lofarl

I like that bit in "Jimi Hendrix at Monterey" when he sets hits guitar on fire and everyone in the crowd looks really shocked. I like to imagine Jimmy Shand in the same situation playing "Wild Thing" on his accordion before burning it and blowing the kids' minds.

@Mon Dieu stuck this GIF up after we had a decent cup win (I forget against who, probably the Binos), so I nicked it. Before that I used a Zombatar from the greatest video game of all time, Plants vs Zombies.

I can't say I pay much attention to people's avatars, but it's a bit jarring when one of the regulars changes theirs. Like walking into a room and noticing something's moved; you've no idea where it was before, but it's different now and you just don't like it.

Also, folk who don't set an avatar are almost always nogoodniks.

My avatar is a tupilaq. In Inuit shamanistic rituals, a tupilaq was used to curse someone. The carved figurine would be paced in water following chants and incantations, after which it was said to come alive and track down the victim to kill.

Mine is my favourite actor, Warren Oates, starring in the greatest film ever made, Bring me the head of Alfredo Garcia, directed by Sam Peckinpah. Had a drunken escapade in Wales once (not involving sheep and not very serious, they let me go the next day) when I was nabbed by the police and my mate managed to get away. The cops asked me who he was and I said Alfredo Garcia. They woke up everyone in my house asking where he was. My housemates weren't very happy with me.

Spoiler

Alfredo Garcia was dead in the film before it started.

Edited by welshbairn

Everyone and their mum is packin' around here. Like farmers.

*puffs cigarette sheepishly* and farmer's mums.

edit: i cant say with absolute certainty but i think another poster might have had the same .gif as an avatar for a while, no idea who. Its just a visual gag I really like and it slots in nicely on here with the Andy's sliding in and out of view imo.

Previous avatars were me faceapp'd as a solid wid, and a Baldur's Gate style Arnold Schwarzenegger portrait with the big guy confidently puffing a cigar. Can't honestly mind what went before that, might see if there's a way to go down memory lane and see what other stuff I had there through my profile, sure there was something Kingsley related. May well change it up soon too if I can find anything suitably comical I've downloaded in a drunken haze recently.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

24 minutes ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

Everyone and their mum is packin' around here. Like farmers.

*puffs cigarette sheepishly* and farmer's mums.

edit: i cant say with absolute certainty but i think another poster might have had the same .gif as an avatar for a while, no idea who. Its just a visual gag I really like and it slots in nicely on here with the Andy's sliding in and out of view imo.

Previous avatars were me faceapp'd as a solid wid, and a Baldur's Gate style Arnold Schwarzenegger portrait with the big guy confidently puffing a cigar. Can't honestly mind what went before that, might see if there's a way to go down memory lane and see what other stuff I had there through my profile, sure there was something Kingsley related. May well change it up soon too if I can find anything suitably comical I've downloaded in a drunken haze recently.

I for one think your avatar's great, and think it's from a film I saw the other week about a bunch of London gays clubbing together to support the miners strike and picking a Welsh village at random to help. The scene, if I'm right, is the Welsh shop steward showing some guy who had been nasty to the gays what he thought of him, not sure if the other guy has been added in. If I'm wrong this is going to be very embarrassing.

7 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I for one think your avatar's great, and think it's from a film I saw the other week about a bunch of London gays clubbing together to support the miners strike and picking a Welsh village at random to help. The scene, if I'm right, is the Welsh shop steward showing some guy who had been nasty to the gays what he thought of him, not sure if the other guy has been added in. If I'm wrong this is going to be very embarrassing.

Narp?

27 minutes ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

Narp?

Not sure what that means, but here's the actor in the film.

e2e0d83c5d36160db456e2350ddfeb53.png

And here's a bit about the film.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pride_(2014_film)

Oh f**k, maybe he shaved off his moustache for that bit. Anyway, pretty sure it's Paddy Considine.

P.S. Wrong film, it's Hot Fuzz

ec69794c3a315f0cb462aa307da74985.gif

Edited by welshbairn

9 years on here and never occurred to me to use a profile pic.  In fact I only realised I did not have on due to this topic. 

On a similar theme, I do not even particularly like my forum name.  Think it was born out of lack of inspiration and was something a mate used to chant at me years ago when he was pissed.

If I could change it I suppose I would pay homage to the original while acknowledging my penchant for the occasional long-winded post (current example) and call myself "Essay".

As for a profile pic?  No idea.