Jump to content

The Rock v The Diamonds 7/8/21


Recommended Posts

I thnk the game showed our obvious weaknesses.We really need to be at full strength to trouble the better sides in this league.For me Boyle,Geggan,Paton,Mckee and Sam all missing meant we were always open to a hiding .It may well have gone that way if not for the red card.Airdrie were hngrier sharper and maybe even fitter than us over the first hour but no doubt the red card changed everything.

Airdrie threw away 2 points yesterday and we gained one.I just hope the 5 i mentioned can return next week (not sure about Sam given the quarantine period).Its another game down and 34 to go and my hope is we can only get better as the team gels.As mentioned above young Calum (who seriously couldn't kick the ball up to the halfway line ) and sam muir could do with some time being loaned out.Unfortuneately with Boyle being 34 you have to worry about injuries etcProblem is too old and too young!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, The Moonster said:

 I don't know why there's any complaint about the red, Wardrop kicked through the back of McLean when he was on a yellow, it was daft stuff regardless of McLean milking it. 

Exactly. It was the most obvious second yellow you'll see all day long. I really don't understand anyone saying Wardrop was unlucky.

Murray's a legend, but he was being a total fanny yesterday.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Murray gets booked practically every game and has been sent off at least once before. It is amusing, and it’s about the only thing that is consistent with him. But discipline, or in this case indiscipline (J.O’Brien, 2021) comes from the top and it’s hardly an indicator that your team are going to be able to keep the head and see out a game when things go against them if your manager is going tonto every week. It’s no wonder we couldn’t see the game out. 
 

Once again I think our poor game management and poor use of substitutions has cost us. If Wardrop’s getting rinsed and he’s already on a booking why not take him off? There’s a number of players in that team yesterday who can play right-back or wing-back. Take him off and the game is possibly won based on that decision alone. And once we’re down to 10 men why take off Easton? The one thing you want to do when you’re down to 10 men is keep the ball and Easton is your best player at doing that. He’s also potentially got a moment of magic in his locker that wins you the game once Dumbarton get a goal back. Why not take off Frizzell, who does Easton’s job but not as well, or one of the forwards? It’s not as if you need both Gallagher and McGill on the pitch at that point. Bringing on Scott McGill to shore things up in the midfield made perfect sense. But then he plays him as some sort of winger/wide forward? Baffling. Get him in the middle and keep things as tight as possible. 
 

Red card or not we absolutely should be seeing that out from two goals ahead. It’s not like it’s difficult or uncommon a thing to do. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, FifeSons said:

Exactly. It was the most obvious second yellow you'll see all day long. I really don't understand anyone saying Wardrop was unlucky.

Murray's a legend, but he was being a total fanny yesterday.

Back to the football and having watched the highlights i've back tracked on my original thinking. It was a foul by Mclean.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Back to the football and having watched the highlights i've back tracked on my original thinking. It was a foul by Mclean.

I enjoyed Currie pulling McLean up, only for him to forget his crippling injury for a few seconds before rolling about like he’d been snipered again. I’ve missed the fitba 🤣🤣

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, airdrieman said:

Murray gets booked practically every game and has been sent off at least once before. It is amusing, and it’s about the only thing that is consistent with him. But discipline, or in this case indiscipline (J.O’Brien, 2021) comes from the top and it’s hardly an indicator that your team are going to be able to keep the head and see out a game when things go against them if your manager is going tonto every week. It’s no wonder we couldn’t see the game out. 
 

Once again I think our poor game management and poor use of substitutions has cost us. If Wardrop’s getting rinsed and he’s already on a booking why not take him off? There’s a number of players in that team yesterday who can play right-back or wing-back. Take him off and the game is possibly won based on that decision alone. And once we’re down to 10 men why take off Easton? The one thing you want to do when you’re down to 10 men is keep the ball and Easton is your best player at doing that. He’s also potentially got a moment of magic in his locker that wins you the game once Dumbarton get a goal back. Why not take off Frizzell, who does Easton’s job but not as well, or one of the forwards? It’s not as if you need both Gallagher and McGill on the pitch at that point. Bringing on Scott McGill to shore things up in the midfield made perfect sense. But then he plays him as some sort of winger/wide forward? Baffling. Get him in the middle and keep things as tight as possible. 
 

Red card or not we absolutely should be seeing that out from two goals ahead. It’s not like it’s difficult or uncommon a thing to do. 

 

I've said it before but I think it is an issue. I get totally he is going to be passionate and it's his livelihood, so not having a go at him for being passionate (and he would get criticised if he stood passively, not that I'm wanting him to do that either), but I think he needs to work on remaining more in control and channeling that passion positively during the game. There's numerous times (mainly Raith games stick out) I can remember where he latches onto a perceived injustice, starts to lose it, the players then lose it and we lose the game, or in this case chuck a 2 goal lead. It also gives the message to the team that he doesn't have faith in them, a manager confident in his players would remain calm and in control knowing his players will deal with it. When they look over and see a manager going nuts it is hardly going to translate into cool heads on the pitch and give the players the message that the manager has faith in them.

You can only control yourself and your players, I see no benefit in losing it with the referee or opposing manager/players. Clearly that's easier said than done and every manager loses it from time to time, but Murray does it far too much in my opinion.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A fairly soft penalty and a fairly soft red card but totally daft from both Erskine and Wardrop who gave the attackers the chance to win the foul and gave the ref a decision to make. The rammy that followed the red card was daft handbags and if Barry Cook had just dealt with the situation straight away it probably wouldn’t have happened. 

It’s actually great to see a bit of drama and fans losing the plot. The MacLean and Max Currie incident was excellent as was MacLean’s big GIRUY after the 2nd goal. You absolutely love to see it. The fitba is back!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

A fairly soft penalty and a fairly soft red card but totally daft from both Erskine and Wardrop who gave the attackers the chance to win the foul and gave the ref a decision to make. The rammy that followed the red card was daft handbags and if Barry Cook had just dealt with the situation straight away it probably wouldn’t have happened. 

It’s actually great to see a bit of drama and fans losing the plot. The MacLean and Max Currie incident was excellent as was MacLean’s big GIRUY after the 2nd goal. You absolutely love to see it. The fitba is back!

Essential Sunday viewing 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Watched the highlights and I go for the" McLean fouls Wardrop" decision but that was not why we lost the 2 goals. The one thing I wonder if it actually helped McLean as his recovery was quick and lasted another 30 minutes- I also thought he had some good football moves in that last spell so maybe it is just the usual modern "professionalism" . Hard to blame him for winding up the away end after the equaliser as he was getting lots of justified stick.  I also think the Ref was quite poor. It was good to be back and loads of incidents.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, FifeSons said:

Exactly. It was the most obvious second yellow you'll see all day long. I really don't understand anyone saying Wardrop was unlucky.

Murray's a legend, but he was being a total fanny yesterday.

It really wasn’t. Watch the highlights. Wardrop was naive but entities to go for the ball in what was essentially a 50-50. It was reckless and would fall under the careless category. Foul to the Sons and get on with the game. Not that I’m complaining as it turned the game in our favour and balanced out the ridiculous penalty award. Highlights two poor decisions from a consistently poor referee.

Edited by Jordo1872
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Theres wardrop no happy on Instagram about the red card.  It does look a soft booking and smart play by maclean.  At full speed you can see why the ref has booked him for it, but when you slow it down it does look different.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, squeezeboxson said:

Only got this far but it does look a bit on the soft side. Clumsy looking but unsure how much contact there actually was...

SmartSelect_20210808-195814_Chrome.gif

On another day the penalty isn't given and Wardrop gets a warning for the challenge on MacLean imo. To be fair, having seen the highlights, I can see why Barry Cook gave both decisions - and I don't think either side can complain about them too much. They got themselves into the situation and gave the referee a decision to make. In the end it evened itself out I suppose. 

I understand why Sam is pee'd off on Instagram given it was Barry Cook who only booked Brian Graham for fracturing his eye-socket mind you. You would feel a real sense of injustice. 

6 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

That’s quite the interview from Gabby McGill…

“We need to be seeing off these teams”

”even before the red card we need to be 3 or 4 goals ahead”

Calm doon mate, you’ve signed for Airdrie, not 1994 Ajax.

That sort of attitude is probably how they managed to chuck away a dominant position and two goal lead. There's very little between all the teams at this level this year and, after Airdrie's pumping last week, I'm not quite sure why Gabby McGill expected them to turn us over this week. Christ even Duffy's Sons beat Airdrie this time last year!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

On another day the penalty isn't given and Wardrop gets a warning for the challenge on MacLean imo. To be fair, having seen the highlights, I can see why Barry Cook gave both decisions - and I don't think either side can complain about them too much. They got themselves into the situation and gave the referee a decision to make. In the end it evened itself out I suppose. 

I understand why Sam is pee'd off on Instagram given it was Barry Cook who only booked Brian Graham for fracturing his eye-socket mind you. You would feel a real sense of injustice. 

That sort of attitude is probably how they managed to chuck away a dominant position and two goal lead. There's very little between all the teams at this level this year and, after Airdrie's pumping last week, I'm not quite sure why Gabby McGill expected them to turn us over this week. Christ even Duffy's Sons beat Airdrie this time last year!

Just watched through it and actually agree 100%. Both could have gone either way on another day. A bit clumsy in both cases.

I enjoyed how bitter Murray was😄. He didn't admit that the pen was soft and points out that "their (our) 'keeper ran half the length of the park to tell the ref to give the booking" yet didn't mention any of his own players behaviour at that point. Needs to take off the tinted specs and stop being such a bitter dick.

Yeah, that interview was a bit surprising to me. Saying that "we need to be seeing off 'these' teams" is pretty disrespectful and he could be doing with winding in the his neck and stopping with the Billy big baws attitude because at this level there isn't going to be too much between any of the sides.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Jordo1872 said:

It really wasn’t. Watch the highlights. Wardrop was naive but entities to go for the ball in what was essentially a 50-50. It was reckless and would fall under the careless category. Foul to the Sons and get on with the game. Not that I’m complaining as it turned the game in our favour and balanced out the ridiculous penalty award. Highlights two poor decisions from a consistently poor referee.

Doesn’t matter if he’s entitled to go for it. If he gets it wrong, it’s a clear foul and second yellow.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...