The Rock v The Diamonds 7/8/21

Good point we're still top of the league. Airdrie were miles in front in the first 45 but we deserved a point through our persistence and willingness to improve in the 2nd. 

McLean was good in the second half and Wilson definitely has something about him. I'm pleased we didn't cave in. It's going to be far more exciting and entertaining this season! If we get a striker in that can bag ten goals a season we're really going to be dangerous

I thought we played poorly for much of the game. Lost it in midfield. We had no real shape - at times Carswell was dropping back into a back 3 and the 2 fullbacks were pushed forward. Carlo ended up lost in midfield because Hpokirk isn't the guy to support him in the middle. In that regard  the Airdrie midfield deserve  credit because they pressed well after the first 10 minutes.

The penalty. I don't think it was. I can get why Cook gave it, and not just because he's a fud. He was the wrong side of it but his linesman had a perfect view and should have helped him. Regardless,  Erskine came but was never getting it and we defended the attacker poorly. Erskine looked very dodgy.

Red card? Deserved. Expected better from Wardrop. A few more could have walked. Max Currie trying to pick up a Dumbarton player and then having  a go at the physio - absolute p***k behaviour. Thought Cook lost control of the game early and allowed Airdrie far too much leeway to dive, tug jerseys, hold players and have sly wee digs.

Great comeback, we were so far off the pace for long spells, Quitongo was a wee bawbag all game.

From the scuffles around the 60mins mark until full-time it was great viewing.

Farrell will hopefully look at his starting line-up as we lacked any ideas until Geggan, Wilson etc came on.

Pleasing 

I thought we started quite brightly, but really struggled when Airdrie started to take control of the game. 

Rightfully trailing at half time and rightfully found ourselves 2-0 (even though I think the lad McGill has bought one with the pen).

Really pleasing fightback after the red card - we were verging on 'hit and hope' but the likes of McLean, Pignatiello and Geggan helped us keep the ball moving.

McLean is showing early signs of being a very good signing for us.

14 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Rossco McLean getting it up the away support after being hounded for having the audacity to receive treatment after Wardrop stupidly got himself sent off is why we go to these games. Inject it right into my eyeballs.

Even from an Airdrie point of view this was funny. Proper pantomime villain stuff but it makes games like this so much more entertaining. 

That was definitely much more entertaining than Dumbarton v Airdrie usually is, I’ll put that down to Jim Duffy not being involved anymore. Dumbarton started well but fell out of the game after our first goal and we controlled things until the sending off. Quite a few of our players seemed to have a heads gone during and after the sending off and we never really recovered from it.

I’d need too see it back but I thought Wardrop’s sending off was quite harsh, if anything you could probably make an argument for Quitongo and Geggan being more deserving of a sending off for what happened afterwards. My highlight of the whole thing was Currie storming out his goals to pick MacLean up. Big David Hutton vibes. I think we got lucky with the penalty though so perhaps we can’t complain too much.

I’m not convinced Dumbarton would have got back into the game without the sending off but fair play to them, took their goals well and probably deserved a point in the end. 

It probably wouldn’t have had a huge impact anyway but not convinced by Murray’s subs today. Gabby McGill looked done so I was surprised when he took off Gallagher first, even if he was struggling to get into the game. Bringing Scott McGill on seemed sensible to shore things up but he seemed to be playing very high up on the left, almost as a striker, which didn’t make much sense to me. Jordan Allan as the lone striker to hold the ball up was a strange one too. The goals came from set-pieces and poor defending so it probably wouldn’t have changed much anyway but it definitely didn’t help.

I missed the game but, even with ten men, poor result to not be able to see it out from 2-0 up. I thought Murray taking off Easton was a strange one. Given that the one thing you want to do when you go down to 10 men is keep the ball it’s odd he took off our player who’s the best at doing that and our most creative player to boot. Why not take off Frizzell or a forward instead? 

I liked him at Dumbarton but Wardrop has been a liability for us so far. Got done for the penalty against Annan, most of Motherwell’s few chances came down his side, got rinsed by a man old enough to be his da at Palmerston and he’s got himself sent off today. Not good enough. 

Much better performance up until the sending off by the sounds of things. Hopefully we can keep that sort of standard up and not lose the heads when something goes against us.