The Rock v The Diamonds 7/8/21

15 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Even from an Airdrie point of view this was funny. Proper pantomime villain stuff but it makes games like this so much more entertaining. 

That was definitely much more entertaining than Dumbarton v Airdrie usually is, I’ll put that down to Jim Duffy not being involved anymore. Dumbarton started well but fell out of the game after our first goal and we controlled things until the sending off. Quite a few of our players seemed to have a heads gone during and after the sending off and we never really recovered from it.

I’d need too see it back but I thought Wardrop’s sending off was quite harsh, if anything you could probably make an argument for Quitongo and Geggan being more deserving of a sending off for what happened afterwards. My highlight of the whole thing was Currie storming out his goals to pick MacLean up. Big David Hutton vibes. I think we got lucky with the penalty though so perhaps we can’t complain too much.

I’m not convinced Dumbarton would have got back into the game without the sending off but fair play to them, took their goals well and probably deserved a point in the end. 

It probably wouldn’t have had a huge impact anyway but not convinced by Murray’s subs today. Gabby McGill looked done so I was surprised when he took off Gallagher first, even if he was struggling to get into the game. Bringing Scott McGill on seemed sensible to shore things up but he seemed to be playing very high up on the left, almost as a striker, which didn’t make much sense to me. Jordan Allan as the lone striker to hold the ball up was a strange one too. The goals came from set-pieces and poor defending so it probably wouldn’t have changed much anyway but it definitely didn’t help.

Just to double check, you realise it was a 2nd booking and not a straight red?

Rico was lucky to stay on really and so was the 'keeper. He was warned for time wasting 3 times before being booked (the 1st of which was in the first half!!)

I didn't even realise Easton was on the park until he was subbed off either 😂 Going by that showing we aren't exactly going to miss players like Wardrop, Quitongo and Frizzell this season though.

Edited by squeezeboxson

2 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Not denying that Currie was absolutely time wasting after the red card, but I genuinely couldn't believe it when the ref booked him for it at a goal kick with Orsi still standing in his box.

I actually mentioned this today. The one where he actually booked him was where he was time wasting the least for me!

Barry Cook... 😒

14 minutes ago, squeezeboxson said:

Just to double check, you realise it was a 2nd booking and not a straight red?

Rico was lucky to stay on really and so was the 'keeper. He was warned for time wasting 3 times before being booked (the 1st of which was in the first half!!)

I didn't even realise Easton was on the park until he was subbed off either 😂 Going by that showing we aren't exactly going to miss players like Wardrop, Quitongo and Frizzell this season though.

Yeah I just didn’t think there was too much in it, even for a yellow card. Might change my mind after seeing the replay though. 

Did any of the officials even notice Currie picking MacLean up? I thought that was a certainty for a booking but didn’t see anything come from it.

Just now, Mr November said:

Yeah I just didn’t think there was too much in it, even for a yellow card. Might change my mind after seeing the replay though. 

Did any of the officials even notice Currie picking MacLean up? I thought that was a certainty for a booking but didn’t see anything come from it.

Or him being and absolute fanny and confronting our physio as she was going over to MacLean.

7 minutes ago, Mr November said:

I thought it was a yellow. Intelligent play from our player but Wardrop was sucked right into it.

Yeah for me that was as bad as the handbags stuff that went on between Quitongo and Buchanan, Geggan and McGeever. McGeever seemed to be calming him more than anything but his heads seemed to have gone.

But yeah, had to be at least a booking for me to do that.

Great game for the neutral.  I think we started really positively but couldn’t take any of the early half chances and Airdrie found their way into the game comfortably.   Quite a lot of sloppy passing by Sons certainly didn’t help as we gave the ball away cheaply.

Quite happy with the creativity in the team (especially compared to last season) but I do hope we can get another striker in.  I like how physical Orsi is though - a couple of times he picked up possession by committing to challenging the defence and I think he’ll be a useful player - if not an out and out goalscorer.

Ross Maclean’s reaction to the 2nd goal has made him an instant Sons legend in my book.  Love to see it.  He looks a good player too - not afraid to take his man on and wants to get on the ball a lot.  

Lynch is definitely quite raw but I think he’s got a lot of potential too.  Similar to Rico last year where he’s a bit suss in defence but quite a positive player when he gets further forward. 

Not a great performance from Erskine and he doesn’t fill me with confidence even as a backup keeper.  Don’t want to be too harsh on the guy but hope he has a better game if he’s playing for us again.

Only two games in so don’t want to get too ahead of myself but I definitely think we look like a team capable of avoiding a relegation fight like last season.  

I'm sure the Dumbarton fans are enjoying the seeth from the Airdrie support. But I was livid. 

Rolling about in front of the support only to stop have a wink and laugh at the Airdrie support then return to rolling about. Quite frankly I think if that's caught on camera he should get banned. 

If someone cheats like that against you, you're raging. If it's one of your players you can can sit back and enjoy the rage of the opposition. 

6 minutes ago, sonsism said:

Similar to Rico last year where he’s a bit suss in defence but quite a positive player when he gets further forward.

I’ll admit, I’m not a Quitongo fan at all, but I thought his biggest weakness was going forward when he was with us. Absolutely zero end product and 9 times out of 10 he just hoofed it without lifting his head. His two redeeming features were that he normally gave 100% and was fairly hard in the tackle.  

I wasn’t hugely bothered by Quitongo, Wardrop or Frizzell leaving us for Airdrie in the summer and today pretty much cemented that for me. Wardrop and Frizzel in particular were absolutely hopeless. Rico was slightly better but I reckon if we had Hopkirk out wide he would’ve been running rings round him.

20 minutes ago, Tory Boy said:

I'm sure the Dumbarton fans are enjoying the seeth from the Airdrie support. But I was livid. 

Rolling about in front of the support only to stop have a wink and laugh at the Airdrie support then return to rolling about. Quite frankly I think if that's caught on camera he should get banned. 

If someone cheats like that against you, you're raging. If it's one of your players you can can sit back and enjoy the rage of the opposition. 

I hope he did do this. It makes the 'get it up you' gesture even better!

Was the card at full time definitely for Murray? I thought it mightve been shown at the keeper 

8 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I’ll admit, I’m not a Quitongo fan at all, but I thought his biggest weakness was going forward when he was with us. Absolutely zero end product and 9 times out of 10 he just hoofed it without lifting his head. His two redeeming features were that he normally gave 100% and was fairly hard in the tackle.  

I wasn’t hugely bothered by Quitongo, Wardrop or Frizzell leaving us for Airdrie in the summer and today pretty much cemented that for me. Wardrop and Frizzel in particular were absolutely hopeless. Rico was slightly better but I reckon if we had Hopkirk out wide he would’ve been running rings round him.

Wardrop was one i thought would do well but he was extremely naive today! Mclean  bought the foul  by sticking his leg in his path of which he is was perfectly entitled to do so..

Overall I was actually pleased with Airdrie's performance as in all honesty we were cruising it and looked in no danger until the sending off, Frizzell did ok in what was his debut but i'ts fair to say i'm not a Quitongo fan.

Thoroughly enjoyed being back at the Rock today. Good competitive game in some horrendous weather and who doesn’t love a late comeback. Good to see away fans back in as well, it just makes the game so much more enjoyable when there’s a good sized support for both teams.

Thought a draw was about right. We started well and Airdrie's goal came against the run of play imo but we struggled after that as they controlled the rest of the half. Two key decisions in the game and in true form Barry Cook got both wrong. The penalty isn’t a penalty and it’s an embarrassing decision. The red card; I think Wardrop is unlucky. Both players going for the ball and on another day he wins the free-kick. Hard for a full-back to pull out of that, on a booking or not.  

It’s great to see a Sons team with that type of fighting spirit though. Last season we lose that game no question. We definitely missed McKee and Ramsbottom but overall the players did well. Special mention to Geggan who was superb when he came on and took his goal really well.

Posting this before I catch up with all the previous. As I got to the car I heard a similarly aged Dumbarton fan say that " we got out of jail there".  That is true when you think that the goals did come late . However I felt we just failed to keep a wee bit of composure as Dumbarton did start to get a hold of the ball and the play after Wardrop's Red card. I did think we might hold out but a daft bit of poor defending let Andy Geggan score against us for what seems every time we play. It was exciting if you were a home fan but frustrating for me. On the whole Dumbarton had the better period in the first 15 minutes but I felt we deserved the lead, although the looping header was not dealt with well  by the goalie. A 2nd penalty and a daft goalie: That goal should have seen us dealing with the situation.  Wardrop was always under a bit of pressure with that stupid jersey pull in the first half and clearly Dumbarton would pressurise him. I obviously have tinted glasses but I genuinely thought it was the No 11 who blocked him and I was in line with it. The screams  and pitch thumping were overdone but I can see how the Ref made his decision. The stooshie around it seemed overdone . I may have to change my mind when (if) there is a highlight of it. That changed the game and fair dos to Dumbarton for getting back into it. I did think Murray took off the wrong player in that once Easton was gone Carswell etc ran the show.  I had predicted a draw so I should be happy and it's better than the first game last season.  

I thoroughly enjoyed the final half hour of that. A former player being sent off, a midfield melee that involved 21 players, pantomime villainy from both teams and a comeback which means we're still top of the league. What's not to love about the beautiful game.

Eta, I also enjoyed Murray having a heads gone moment at full time.

Just now, FifeSons said:

I have literally no idea what Murray had to complain about. It was the most obvious second yellow possible.

If anything, we had something to complain about with the penalty.

Even if he wasn't happy about the 2nd yellow. He must be forming his decision on the players reactions because there's no way he had a clear view from the other side. Very petty way to get sent off for someone who should know better.

As always, Murray had his team ready to frustrate. From the moment the first goal went in they were taking an eternity to do anything (especially the 'keeper). Came back to bite them in that they didn't do enough to prevent us equalising.