The Rock v The Diamonds 7/8/21

A fine win for us at Cumbernauld whilst Airdrie lost by a reverse of our scoreline at home v Montrose.

Will Stevie Farrell stick with a winning line-up?

Will our pitch be ok in time?

Welcome back Sir Ian.

Please feel free to discuss either sides prospects in this upcoming clash.

I’m not sure why I’m asking after yesterday but do you think away fans will be allowed in for this one? I feel like every Dumbarton v Airdrie game has been awful since that 3-3 draw a few years ago. Our wins there since that game have been pretty scrappy 1-0’s, I’d happily take the same next week if it gets some points on the board.

I’m expecting Murray to stick with the back three but I think Easton will start, maybe Wardrop coming back in too if he’s fit. Between Murray, Prunty, Wardrop, Agnew, Quitongo, Frizzell, Gallagher and Easton we could have a ridiculous number of ex Dumbarton players/staff involved. 

5 minutes ago, Mr November said:

I’m not sure why I’m asking after yesterday but do you think away fans will be allowed in for this one? I feel like every Dumbarton v Airdrie game has been awful since that 3-3 draw a few years ago. Our wins there since that game have been pretty scrappy 1-0’s, I’d happily take the same next week if it gets some points on the board.

I’m expecting Murray to stick with the back three but I think Easton will start, maybe Wardrop coming back in too if he’s fit. Between Murray, Prunty, Wardrop, Agnew, Quitongo, Frizzell, Gallagher and Easton we could have a ridiculous number of ex Dumbarton players/staff involved. 

DFC have still to announce any plans for away fans next week. 

Surely it'll be ok, would like to think so. 

Edited by Silverton End

This isn't really a moan as I'm delighted we've got options this season but I think Geggan and Paton have a lot of hard work to do before they are considered for a start. I was certain we'd need to move Pignatiello to right back eventually but Lynch was absolutely fine on Saturday and worked his bollocks off up and down that wing. Not only that but I thought Pignatiello was excellent in midfield. Carswell was like his old self again too, I think he must realise that even being captain this season doesn't guarantee him a start (I also think he's just better with better players around him). I thought Paddy Boyle would walk back into the team but young Muir done himself no harm at the weekend - there were times the ball was dropped in behind him and I do think better teams will exploit him but there's a fair amount of potential there. I'm pleasantly surprised at the depth we appear to have this season, it's not league winning depth of quality but it's far beyond anything we've had in previous years and should hopefully see us clear of danger. 

On 01/08/2021 at 13:10, microdave said:

The last time we won our opening two matches, Ian Murray was in the opposition dugout for the second one.

Ian Murray had added Scott Agnew to his squad that summer too! I'm getting an urge to add Garry Fleming to the match day squad this weekend. 

Edited by The Moonster

I was really impressed with how we played on Saturday. Absolute night and Day from last season.

We put plenty of balls into the box and almost never wasted any opportunity to do so. I've never seen us put so many dangerous balls into the box before. It showed right from the start with us forcing an own goal from a great ball put across the area that was just asking to be put in the net. Extremely impressed with the quality of delivery from out wide. With a proper striker in there we could be causing havoc.

The depth of squad is also really promising compared to previous seasons. For a change, most players coming off the bench can provide an impact or change the game for us. We now have the likes of Duthie (who has looked really sharp so far) Geggan, Paton, Syvertsen, Boyle and Lamont

Compare that to the start of last season with Langan, Reilly, Morrison, Hamilton

Crazy

On 01/08/2021 at 12:45, Mr November said:

DFC site now saying away fans as usual in far end of stand, limited numbers whatever that means, 1 metre apart rule?

Away end of the stand holds close to 1,000, so unless you are bringing 3,500 like Falkirk claim to do 😀 there should be no probs.

If you are unsure give DFC a call. 

I don' t understand why the restrictions that are being applied at Bayview would not be the same at Dumbarton.   Due to red zones and social distancing the capacity at Bayview has been reduced to 320.  On Saturday we could only accomodate season ticket holders who confirmed that they wanted to attend and handful of QP fans.

11 hours ago, fifer said:

I don' t understand why the restrictions that are being applied at Bayview would not be the same at Dumbarton.   Due to red zones and social distancing the capacity at Bayview has been reduced to 320.  On Saturday we could only accomodate season ticket holders who confirmed that they wanted to attend and handful of QP fans.

We must be allowed a decent amount more than that, because if not then making it PATG is going to be a disaster.

Realistically I'd maybe expect 800 at the maximum for Saturday. New season, good result last week and a nice local away day for the Diamonds fans. If we're limited to, say, 500, then I reckon there could be issues.

12 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

We must be allowed a decent amount more than that, because if not then making it PATG is going to be a disaster.

Realistically I'd maybe expect 800 at the maximum for Saturday. New season, good result last week and a nice local away day for the Diamonds fans. If we're limited to, say, 500, then I reckon there could be issues.

I reckon we'll be allowed more than 500 - was that not the number we were allowed for the league cup where we operated a ticket only basis? I'd say you're right and we've been granted 800-1000 and we know that everyone will get in if they want to. It would be a disaster if folk got turned away after a positive summer and an excellent opening day. 

12 hours ago, The Moonster said:

How many Airdrie fans will come through? I don't expect more than 400 in the home end but last weeks result may have turned a few heads. Looking forward to getting back into my seat. 

150 tops,     horrendous amount of apathy earlier than normal this season,  

I don’t think Airdrie’s poor result on Saturday will do us any favours here unfortunately, they will be fired up and looking to make up for it. I’d be tempted to stick with the same lineup, although I do still have some concerns over the fullbacks. Both were good on Saturday but I could see someone like Dylan Easton causing young Muir problems if he’s deployed wide right. 

That being said we should fear no one this season, particularly at home. We showed on Saturday we are capable of scoring goals and we are solid at the back. It’s night and day from last season where I wasn’t particlarly confident going into any match at all. I even had the fear when yon Highland League team came to the Rock in the cup! 

19 hours ago, The Moonster said:

How many Airdrie fans will come through? I don't expect more than 400 in the home end but last weeks result may have turned a few heads. Looking forward to getting back into my seat. 

I will be there and one of my usual travellers at present, but last week's tame defeat might mean even a local away game will not attract many beyond the hardy perennials. There's always the feeling that something good will happen. That's even more true because our home form was poor until last season's restart.  Maybe the ex Dumbarton guys will want to play better whereas I think you only have Buchanan ( good player) and Stokes ( Anon) .  And it is cheaper than paying at the gate at Airdrie! 

I'd like to see a good few away fans on Saturday. The atmosphere is better with both sets of fans in the ground. Not sure what our crowd will be - it should be healthy given our performance in the opener but some fans may still be on holiday and others may not be ready to return to football yet. 

22 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I don’t think Airdrie’s poor result on Saturday will do us any favours here unfortunately, they will be fired up and looking to make up for it. I’d be tempted to stick with the same lineup, although I do still have some concerns over the fullbacks. Both were good on Saturday but I could see someone like Dylan Easton causing young Muir problems if he’s deployed wide right. 

That being said we should fear no one this season, particularly at home. We showed on Saturday we are capable of scoring goals and we are solid at the back. It’s night and day from last season where I wasn’t particlarly confident going into any match at all. I even had the fear when yon Highland League team came to the Rock in the cup! 

I agree, I think you may see a very different Airdrie and much improved performance on Saturday. 

This is where they stand up and be counted and react to that horror show v Montrose.