Strathclyde Demolition Cup 2021-22

This competition gets underway this coming Wednesday night with the two Preliminary Round ties :-

Rutherglen Glencairn v Forth Wanderers
St Cadocs v Kilsyth Athletic
Exciting times...

4 hours ago, glensmad said:

This competition gets underway this coming Wednesday night with the two Preliminary Round ties :-

Rutherglen Glencairn v Forth Wanderers

St Cadocs v Kilsyth Athletic

In all honesty, this must be seen as a hindrance to your team. League must be the priority, no?

No more a hindrance than the Scottish Junior Cup or the Scottish Cup which the teams who aren't in this competition are playing in, some in both of them actually. We're in one less competition than your team, so I don't quite get your logic.

It's a very worthwhile competition for the 18 clubs involved in it. The winner enters a play-off with the winners of the equivalent competitions in the EoSFL and SoSFL, and the winner of the play-off gets entry to the Scottish Cup the following season.

9 hours ago, glensmad said:

No more a hindrance than the Scottish Junior Cup or the Scottish Cup which the teams who aren't in this competition are playing in, some in both of them actually. We're in one less competition than your team, so I don't quite get your logic.

I just thought that with so many relegation places this season, the league would be priority for almost everyone and with the greatest of respect, a cup competition with eighteen entrants would be seen as a hindrance. Seems I got it wrong though.

Good luck in the tournament.

I just thought that with so many relegation places this season, the league would be priority for almost everyone and with the greatest of respect, a cup competition with eighteen entrants would be seen as a hindrance. Seems I got it wrong though.
Good luck in the tournament.
The league is of course the priority for every team. The teams playing in this competition will be playing in three cup competitions this season. Those not playing in this competition will also be playing in three cup competitions this season, and some in four. It's not as if it's a disadvantage to any team's league prospects by taking part in this competition, and there is a very worthwhile prize on offer.

3 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

In all honesty, this must be seen as a hindrance to your team. League must be the priority, no?

Don't see why it would hinder. It's equivalent to Auchinleck, Penicuik and Threave playing in the Scottish Cup... Crossgates or Mid Annandale in the Alex Jack or Alba cups... Pollok in the Junior Cup... etc. (If anything the quirk is 4 clubs having 2 of these going - Auchinleck, Cumnock, Girvan, Irvine Meadow are in Scottish and Junior cups. Everybody else are in 1 only).

Rutherglen are potentially tournament favourites after Kilwinning? Bonnyton and others will hope differently of course. There's then a Scottish Cup qualifying place at stake. Doubt they'd see it as a hindrance if come the spring they've a cup final appearance in the bank, silverware on the mantlepiece and a Scottish Cup entry through the letterbox.

It's also drawn sponsorship to the league. Rarely a bad thing.

You would imagine those working on these deals will get something for the WoSFL Cup. Since they've managed to get a title sponsor for everything so far.

There was even the recent announcement of the league attracting a Technical & Teamwear partner.

https://wosfl.co.uk/l4-teamwear-become-technical-and-teamwear-partner-of-wosfl/

5 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Don't see why it would hinder. It's equivalent to Auchinleck, Penicuik and Threave playing in the Scottish Cup... Crossgates or Mid Annandale in the Alex Jack or Alba cups... Pollok in the Junior Cup... etc. (If anything the quirk is 4 clubs having 2 of these going - Auchinleck, Cumnock, Girvan, Irvine Meadow are in Scottish and Junior cups. Everybody else are in 1 only).

Rutherglen are potentially tournament favourites after Kilwinning? Bonnyton and others will hope differently of course. There's then a Scottish Cup qualifying place at stake. Doubt they'd see it as a hindrance if come the spring they've a cup final appearance in the bank, silverware on the mantlepiece and a Scottish Cup entry through the letterbox.

Fair enough. It may be seen as such if they go out in the semis and get relegated. Hope not but that’s the point I was making.

2 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

Fair enough. It may be seen as such if they go out in the semis and get relegated. Hope not but that’s the point I was making.

If your own team misses out on the League title by a couple of points and goes deep in the Junior Cup will you be as vocal about the issue?

5 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

....and a Scottish Cup entry through the letterbox.

They are working towards licensing so may obtain that anyway. Hopefully the SJC and SCC will be merged soon and the Strathclyde Demolition Cup will have many more entrants moving forward. Some people on both sides of that equation can't let go of the whole junior vs senior issue though...

17 hours ago, glensmad said:

The league is of course the priority for every team. The teams playing in this competition will be playing in three cup competitions this season. Those not playing in this competition will also be playing in three cup competitions this season, and some in four. It's not as if it's a disadvantage to any team's league prospects by taking part in this competition, and there is a very worthwhile prize on offer.

Didn't realise there was a Scottish Cup place potentially at stake. Does make it worthwhile 

5 hours ago, drs said:

If your own team misses out on the League title by a couple of points and goes deep in the Junior Cup will you be as vocal about the issue?

I have wondered before if Talbot would have remained in the Junior Cup if there wasn't the £5K / £12K guarantee for semi final / final.

5 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Me and ma mate are at a loose end the morra and considering heading to this but naw sure what the covid regs are at the minute. Alright to rock up and pay at the gate I presume?

I would check with St Cadocs to be certain, but I would imagine that the crowd is unlikely to exceed 1000 which is the limit on outdoor events without seating at Covid Alert Level 0.

2 hours ago, glensmad said:

I would check with St Cadocs to be certain, but I would imagine that the crowd is unlikely to exceed 1000 which is the limit on outdoor events without seating at Covid Alert Level 0.

You underestimate the Newton Mearns ultras at your peril!

On 01/08/2021 at 14:36, jimbaxters said:

A round of 16, quarters, semi and final for the majority at the most, over a whole season, hardly a hindrance. 

Would suggest it might be a bigger hindrance getting a Scottish Junior Cup tie in the North of Scotland postponed when it doesn't take precedence over the forthcoming weeks' league fixtures! 

Four games to get a crack at a play off to get in the Scottish Cup. No brainer.