St Mirren v Hearts

Guest TheJTS98
8 hours ago, DC92 said:

It shouldn't make any sense, but I was far more confident of beating Celtic at home last week than I am of winning tomorrow.

Our record in Paisley since our last win in 2012 probably hasn't been helped by the fact the 4 seasons we've played there have featured the worst 3 Hearts teams since the early 80s, but we're usually complete shite away from home regardless of overall league performance anyway.

Agree with this in general. I can see us struggling today.

It's been glossed over a lot this week that we only actually played well in the opening and closing stages last week. For most of the game we were pretty poor and didn't show an awful lot.

Nothing really about that performance is applicable to a win at St Mirren.

Basically, just don't trust us away from home, and don't see this as the kind of game Neilson does well.

8 hours ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Weather forecast looks interesting! Chance that Paisley might get a lot of rainfall in a short period of time tomorrow afternoon.

Can anyone remember the outcome last time we had a home game against Hearts postponed because of flooding?!

I remember at the time there was an absolute melter on Twitter accusing Saints of "cheating again" to get the game postponed. (IIRC it did actually suit is to do so; can't remember why.) People were showing him live stream of Paisley, flooded, and he was still utterly convinced it was all linked to the 1986 conspiracy. 

Remember looking at his profile and he was a reasonably high profile photographer, but was also an absolutely certifiable crackpot.

The wonderful irony, of course, being that the postponement may in fact have contributed (in a very small way) to Hearts going down.

Edited by Coventry Saint

6 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Can anyone remember the outcome last time we had a home game against Hearts postponed because of flooding?!

I remember at the time there was an absolute melter on Twitter accusing Saints of "cheating again" to get the game postponed. (IIRC it did actually suit is to do so; can't remember why.) People were showing him live stream of Paisley, flooded, and he was still utterly convinced it was all linked to the 1986 conspiracy. 

Remember looking at his profile and he was a reasonably high profile photographer, but was also an absolutely certifiable crackpot.

The wonderful irony, of course, being that the postponement may in fact have contributed (in a very small way) to Hearts going down.

Wasn’t their stadium announcer making a total c**t of himself as well about it all? 

You'll be meaning this guy...

YoUR41F.png

He did the classic of saying something stupid, then totally rolled back saying, "I was only joking". Of course the joke was all about 1986, so you just know he is a bitter wee man.

Just look at that face, now think of what that face would look like as Obika thumped home.. :D

Anyway, shall we play a game and guess when the last time successful businesswoman Ann Budge last mentioned league reconstruction?

At one point it seemed to be all she'd talk about, it wasn't all about Hearts it was about the future of Scottish football you understand, yet there have been numerous attempts by the OF to reconstruct the leagues however I seemed to have missed successful businesswoman Ann Budge bringing her weight behind such plans.

2 hours ago, TheJTS98 said:

Agree with this in general. I can see us struggling today.

It's been glossed over a lot this week that we only actually played well in the opening and closing stages last week. For most of the game we were pretty poor and didn't show an awful lot.

Nothing really about that performance is applicable to a win at St Mirren.

Basically, just don't trust us away from home, and don't see this as the kind of game Neilson does well.

Our away form has been awful for years.  It has to change sometime bit I have my doubts it will be today. I can see us being brought back down to earth with a thud,  1-0 St Mirren.

Hopefully Gordon will make the difference and prove me wrong by keeping a clean sheet, and Gnando to come on as a sub and score a very late winner.🤩

Edited by Mr. X

10 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

A postponement would mean that more people would get to see the replay so it wouldn’t be too bad a thing in this instance 

On a more general note 

has anybody considered demolishing Paisley and rebuilding it on a hill?

Tony was looking into it, but discovered long standing historical infrastructure issues on the summit.

Edited by pozbaird

15 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

has anybody considered demolishing Paisley and rebuilding it on a hill?

😠 .. I'll have you know that the current stadium is located within the opulent gated community that is Ferguslie Park. It's such a prime location why would we want to move it!

Guest TheJTS98
2 hours ago, Mr. X said:

Our away form has been awful for years.  It has to change sometime bit I have my doubts it will be today. I can see us being brought back down to earth with a thud,  1-0 St Mirren.

Hopefully Gordon will make the difference and prove me wrong by keeping a clean sheet, and Gnando to come on as a sub and score a very late winner.🤩

Yeah, our approach away from home is pitiful and has been for ages.

I think our derby record shows that a huge part of it is mentality. We can pick up wins at Easter Road whether we're better than them, on a level with them, or worse than them. We go there with a mentality that we can and should win, and that influences our approach, performance, and often the result. We had a bad run a while back for a couple of years, but it's relatively rare that we play badly at Easter Road.

It's arguable that Hibs do the opposite in their approach to derbies, no doubt from a position of expecting pain, and often pay for it.

We go into games like today thinking we'll be chuffed with a point. So, we hardly ever win. In many ways this is bigger than last week. It's games like this that we need to do better in.

Edited by TheJTS98

16 minutes ago, TheJTS98 said:

Yeah, our approach away from home is pitiful and has been for ages.

I think our derby record shows that a huge part of it is mentality. We can pick up wins at Easter Road whether we're better than them, on a level with them, or worse than them. We go there with a mentality that we can and should win, and that influences our approach, performance, and often the result. We had a bad run a while back for a couple of years, but it's relatively rare that we play badly at Easter Road.

It's arguable that Hibs do the opposite in their approach to derbies, no doubt from a position of expecting pain, and often pay for it.

We go into games like today thinking we'll be chuffed with a point. So, we hardly ever win. In many ways this is bigger than last week. It's games like this that we need to do better in.

I agree, they were bonus points against Celtic. It's points against the lesser clubs that really count for us.

7 minutes ago, NJ2 said:

Kingsley out (presumably injured), Haring in (presumably at centre half)

IMG_0661.jpg

Kingsley ill apparently.

I think Haring will be midfield, either as part of a 4-3-3 or with Cochrane at left centre half and Halliday at wing back.

Kingsley ill apparently.

I think Haring will be midfield, either as part of a 4-3-3 or with Cochrane at left centre half and Halliday at wing back.

I’d prefer the back 4 with a middle 3 of Beni, Haring and Halliday, than back 3 with Cochrane left centre half and Halliday left wing back. Think Haring might just come in to the middle and Halkett to the left though.