St Mirren v Hearts

2 hours ago, btb said:

Isn't history interesting?

Well I'll throw another piece into the gumbo - in 1965 when Killie won the league title on Goal Average we lost twice to them 2-0 & 4-0 while we beat your lot 2-1 & had a 0-0 draw in the other game - that's two titles we've denied Hearts.

I think Killie deserve a bit of the credit tbh

On 03/08/2021 at 11:39, Ric said:

See the 1986 thing, I never gave it much thought until I lived in Edinburgh (well, technically Leith, which isn't really Edinburgh). When I did though, what a hoot.

Leith has been part of Edinburgh for more than a century.

If we're going to start removing random areas from the city, can we start with Niddrie and work our way around the outskirts from there?

Jamie McGrath 9/2 to score any time, which based on what you've said about the ref, and the number of penalties we have been getting recently (hi Well fans, how's it going?) looks like a decent shout.

Who takes Hearts' penalties? Might be worth a double 😂

19 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Jamie McGrath 9/2 to score any time, which based on what you've said about the ref, and the number of penalties we have been getting recently (hi Well fans, how's it going?) looks like a decent shout.

Who takes Hearts' penalties? Might be worth a double 😂

Boyce.

Duncan also gave the penalty Alloa knocked us out the LC with last year, an award I'd describe as generous if I was being charitable

1 hour ago, billyg said:

Gavin Duncan's the ref ,  "Gavin Duncan is another. He made headlines for sending off Kilsyth’s PJ Dolan for celebrating a goal after the whistle had blown for offside . Little did Duncan know the player was deaf and couldn’t hear the whistle " 🙄

I wonder who the onus is upon to inform the referee that the player is deaf. Should the player or club tell the referee before the game or is the referee meant to check with each player before the game - in the way they (used to*) check the studs of players entering the field. You feel you'd be quite disadvantaged if your hearing loss was total, though.

It sort of reminds me of an old urban myth (it may be true, who knows.. ) about Jack Asher. He was a shinty player who had lost one of his eyes when young. He went on to be a successful shinty player and moved onto being a ref once he stopped playing (this was 80s/90s). One lad when the referee (Asher) gave a decision against him, shouted "FFS, ref are you blind?" to which Asher was supposed to have pull out his glass eye, looked at the player with the remaining one giving him a hard stare, only to reply... "Not quite yet, son".

I'm sure someone in the Highlands can confirm/deny that story.

* checking studs, does anyone do this any more, it's weird as thinking back I remember it happening every time someone entered the field. Now? Can't say I've seen it in years.

Piece in the Edinburgh News about Hearts' poor away form. Not won at our place since 2010, apparently. Crazy stat. I always find trends like that interesting, because the churn of staff and players involved means it's not down to any of the personnel, training methods, matchday prep, or any actual tangible factors.

Obviously that spell has been lengthened because of five years spent in different divisions in that time (Hearts went down, then passed us on the way back up, we spent 3 yrs in the Champ then Hearts were down last year).

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/the-troubling-hearts-away-form-laid-bare-can-robbie-neilsons-men-end-a-29-year-hoodoo-this-season-3334806

On 04/08/2021 at 08:39, btb said:

Isn't history interesting?

Well I'll throw another piece into the gumbo - in 1965 when Killie won the league title on Goal Average we lost twice to them 2-0 & 4-0 while we beat your lot 2-1 & had a 0-0 draw in the other game - that's two titles we've denied Hearts.

History is interesting, I've just discovered St Mirren have never won the title.  

23 minutes ago, Mr. X said:

History is interesting, I've just discovered St Mirren have never won the title.  

Or Hearts in your lifetime I'll bet...

Out of the diddy clubs only The Fakes & Dundee Utd. have won more than two major cups in my lifetime so I'm reasonably satisfied with what my club has achieved.

Guest TheJTS98
1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

Piece in the Edinburgh News about Hearts' poor away form. Not won at our place since 2010, apparently. Crazy stat. I always find trends like that interesting, because the churn of staff and players involved means it's not down to any of the personnel, training methods, matchday prep, or any actual tangible factors.

Obviously that spell has been lengthened because of five years spent in different divisions in that time (Hearts went down, then passed us on the way back up, we spent 3 yrs in the Champ then Hearts were down last year).

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/the-troubling-hearts-away-form-laid-bare-can-robbie-neilsons-men-end-a-29-year-hoodoo-this-season-3334806

It's been a massive shift since I was a kid in the nineties. We used to do fine.

Not checked the numbers on this, but it feels to me like we stopped winning away so much when Levein got the job first time around. Home wins and away draws did the trick, but it did become frustrating going to away games all the time and losing and drawing. Under Jefferies we'd become quite a good away team, dishing out a few good pastings.

We didn't even win at Easter Road from 1997-2002, which is daft considering our record there. We then didn't win there again till 2007. A lot of dissatisfying draws in there. Again, I haven't checked the numbers, but I reckon we've possibly won there more than anywhere else in the twenty-first century. Ten wins there off the top of my head. Can't think of anywhere else we're likely to have done that.

Edited by TheJTS98

9 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

It shouldn't make any sense, but I was far more confident of beating Celtic at home last week than I am of winning tomorrow.

Our record in Paisley since our last win in 2012 probably hasn't been helped by the fact the 4 seasons we've played there have featured the worst 3 Hearts teams since the early 80s, but we're usually complete shite away from home regardless of overall league performance anyway.

32 minutes ago, DC92 said:

It shouldn't make any sense, but I was far more confident of beating Celtic at home last week than I am of winning tomorrow.

Our record in Paisley since our last win in 2012 probably hasn't been helped by the fact the 4 seasons we've played there have featured the worst 3 Hearts teams since the early 80s, but we're usually complete shite away from home regardless of overall league performance anyway.

Last league win was 2010. 

Can see a draw tomorrow. 

Weather forecast looks interesting! Chance that Paisley might get a lot of rainfall in a short period of time tomorrow afternoon.

Anyway, lucky enough to get a ticket for the game and looking forward to it. Jim Goodwin was saying today that he's glad to see Hearts back in the league and have to agree. Should be an open game tomorrow. Just wonder though if Tait might come in for Henderson to make us a little bit more secure down that side.

14 hours ago, btb said:

Out of the diddy clubs only The Fakes & Dundee Utd. have won more than two major cups in my lifetime so I'm reasonably satisfied with what my club has achieved.

Hearts have won three in my lifetime. You must be a youngster. 

Guest TheJTS98
20 minutes ago, The Tackle said:

Hearts have won three in my lifetime. You must be a youngster. 

I think he's mixed himself up.

The only people alive today who have seen a non-OF club win three cups and not seen Hearts win three would be someone born between May 1998 and May 2014 and that team would be St Johnstone. And they'd only have seen United win one at most (if born before May 2010).

United won the cup in '94.

Since then the multiple cup winners are:

3 - Hearts, St Johnstone

2 - Aberdeen, Killie, Hibs, Dundee United.

Don't think I've missed anybody there.

Edited by TheJTS98

Guest TheJTS98
14 hours ago, btb said:

Who are The Fakes?

I can't work out who you're referring to in this post. It doesn't add up.

Edited by TheJTS98