St Mirren v Hearts

Genuinely not doing this to rub salt in Hearts' 2020 wounds, but thought it'd be interesting to see the line-ups for that evening in March 2020, which only seems like yesterday to me.

We've had some amount of squad churn since then. Nine of our starting XI that night are no longer with us; the remaining two aren't quite starters (though that's certainly not a reflection of McCarthy's quality). Only two of our outfield subs are still with us, plus Lyness. In summary, of a squad of 18, only Jamie McGrath is actually a nailed-on starter today. Also, Tony Andreu came off the bench that night which is amazing to me. I felt like he was with us much longer ago than that.

Overall, I would say we are literally stronger in every every area of the park now. I'd say only Durmus would be troubling our current team.

I'm sure the Jambos will have some fairly colourful thoughts about their squad that night... fucking hell, it's shite.

image.thumb.png.dc95a07fc83ba2bde512fdb8fb0bf7f0.png

image.png.b55ca645f4a8f2412486db6f257e7959.png

Edited by Coventry Saint

I'm sure the Jambos will have some fairly colourful thoughts about their squad that night... fucking hell, it's shite.

The reaction to just about everything Damour did up until he was subbed that night was hilarious to watch. It should’ve been an episode in itself on the BBC documentary. I can’t remember seeing as much hatred from supporters towards one of their own players at a game before.

5 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Genuinely not doing this to rub salt in Hearts' 2020 wounds, but thought it'd be interesting to see the line-ups for that evening in March 2020, which only seems like yesterday to me.

We've had some amount of squad churn since then. Nine of our starting XI that night are no longer with us; the remaining two aren't quite starters (though that's certainly not a reflection of McCarthy's quality). Only two of our outfield subs are still with us, plus Lyness. In summary, of a squad of 18, only Jamie McGrath is actually a nailed-on starter today. Also, Tony Andreu came off the bench that night which is amazing to me. I felt like he was with us much longer ago than that.

Overall, I would say we are literally stronger in every every area of the park now. I'd say only Durmus would be troubling our current team.

I think Famewo would possibly be in our current team ahead of Dunne, maybe not too much in it, and Alnwick/Hladky is a 50/50. Most of the rest would struggle to make the bench now.

24 minutes ago, buddie06smfc said:

The reaction to just about everything Damour did up until he was subbed that night was hilarious to watch. It should’ve been an episode in itself on the BBC documentary. I can’t remember seeing as much hatred from supporters towards one of their own players at a game before.

Damour was dreadful, but Bozanic was worse.  Was winding me up that Damour was getting so much stick yet no one was bothered about Bozanic having a disaster.

37 minutes ago, GAD said:

I think Famewo would possibly be in our current team ahead of Dunne, maybe not too much in it, and Alnwick/Hladky is a 50/50. Most of the rest would struggle to make the bench now.

Fair point about Famewo. See he's just been farmed out to L1 again. I sense his future probably lies away from Norwich at this stage (he's 22 now).

Tbh, the personnel wasn't really the issue with that night.  The same team, pretty much, had turned over Hibs and Rangers in the run up.  We just played like a bunch of fuds.

The midfield was absolutely dire in particular.

Not to say we haven't improved key areas of the team since right enough.

17 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Fair point about Famewo. See he's just been farmed out to L1 again. I sense his future probably lies away from Norwich at this stage (he's 22 now).

Yeah, though I think he did pretty well at Charlton last season, and it sounds like this loan is just until his contract is out and they sign him permanently. I know it's still League One, but L1 with Charlton feels a bit different than L1 with Cheltenham, if you know what I mean. I think he'll still have a reasonable career.

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

Our full-backs and midfield are night and day from then to now.

13 minutes ago, Stan Bo said:

Just received my email about being successful in ballot! First in 3 attempts! Buzzing

Me too. 

1-0 Saints, Obika,  Hearts instantly relegated, then I don’t go to another game for eighteen months?

Edit to add: I’m not buzzing. Nothing about this is right. Today’s Scottish Government wishy washy shite statement isn’t right. Staggered entry times, no catering, other ST holders missing out, no PATG fans, no visiting fans, no fans in the Main Stand… none of this fcuking shit is right. I will go and attempt to ignore the bizarre circumstances and focus on the on-field action, but this is now beyond a joke. What percentage of the Scottish population have now been vaccinated? That was the way out. Fcukers in Holyrood can just fcuk right off.

Edited by pozbaird

Fan owned St. Mirren vs  Hearts still owned by successful businesswoman Ann Budge :whistle, I predict a scoreline that will make Jon Obika happy - it's karma!

Edited by btb

12 hours ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

We've won the league twice in Paisley before, no reason we can't seal it again on Saturday

Isn't history interesting?

Well I'll throw another piece into the gumbo - in 1965 when Killie won the league title on Goal Average we lost twice to them 2-0 & 4-0 while we beat your lot 2-1 & had a 0-0 draw in the other game - that's two titles we've denied Hearts.

Edited by btb

55 minutes ago, Ric said:

Remember that time successful businesswoman Ann Budge had a full on mental breakdown and demanded that the entire footballing structure be dismantled? That was a hoot.

What's impressed me has been the way she has continued her crusade for reconstruction to this day, believing, as she does, that it's for the best for Scottish football at all levels of the game. Lots of people reckoned she was only saying that stuff because it'd bail Hearts out, but she's certainly proved them - and me - wrong.