Inverness vs Raith Rovers

Pretty grim.  We looked like a side who had conceded 4 goals in 20 minutes the week before, and were desperate to just keep a clean sheet.

We might have sneaked a draw, but took off our only out ball and replaced him with a young lad who doesn't look good enough.  Then took off one of our few creative outlets in midfield , and replaced him with someone else who doesn't look good enough.

Today felt like the season after we lost the league to the Pars.  Negative tactics and zero quality where it mattered.  With one of my all time pet hates, every man back defending a corner when the opposition see this,  and load players forward.

We still don't have a "Number 9".  Proplatnik did pretty well, but desperately needed help.  He needed complimented,  not replaced.  He's been replaced by Varian 3 times in the past 2 weeks, and we've looked weaker for it each time.

Defended well enough to be honest, thought we dealt with Duku well.  Great goal, and when you set up to see a game out, and you concede, it's game over.

We really,  really miss Vaughan and Spencer. If the former is out for any period of time, its going to be a tough season.

Take out Spencer and we look poor combined with Vaughan and it just goes to show how mediocre we can look. We know we're out with Spencer for a while so need to hope Matthews can get back up to match fitness pronto and that Vaughan's issue is minor. 

Going to be a topsy turvy season for a few clubs, ourselves included, I think. 

Reading through the Raith posts it looks like they are underestimating their team, for me it could have went either way with Tumilty on the wing and Connolly inside causing all sorts of problems, we struggled against the Raith defence and for sure it was inevitable that the only goal came from outside the box as there was now way we were goig to score otherwise.

BBC shows that Raith had more possession.

Again too much predictive punting to Walsh out on the wing and again his crossing was ineffective, Carson and Devine my pick for the day with a well done to Roddy.

2 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

Reading through the Raith posts it looks like they are underestimating their team, for me it could have went either way with Tumilty on the wing and Connolly inside causing all sorts of problems, we struggled against the Raith defence and for sure it was inevitable that the only goal came from outside the box as there was now way we were goig to score otherwise.

BBC shows that Raith had more possession.

Again too much predictive punting to Walsh out on the wing and again his crossing was ineffective, Carson and Devine my pick for the day with a well done to Roddy.

That's fair actually. I thought we defended really well and the wide players gave Inverness something to think about, just with zero quality where it mattered.

2 hours ago, grumswall said:
2 hours ago, Lang Toun Lad said:
Inverness really do the minimum possible for their 15 quid PPV.

Just be grateful they upgraded the commentary

3 hours ago, grumswall said:

Fucking hell that stadium announcer.

Hiya Andrew Barrowman, hiya pal.

You have a microphone, there is no need to do so, so please, do not over annunciate.

Your volume and the length of your announcements are things that definitely do not gladden me and your delivery is the single most negative with respect to my match day experience.

As for the game but for a magnificent strike, there could have been no complaints if a point for each team was the reward.

Bannerman approaches being the announcer like he did being the commentator - it's like he's read what the job entails but has never actually heard it being done.  He still does his use-the-most-words-possible-to-sound-intelligent act as well.  This is a guy who, while commentating on the club channel, talked about how he wanted the opponents to be promoted while we were still in the hunt for the play-offs.  Mind-boggling that the club continues to employ him.

Hiya Andrew Barrowman, hiya pal.
You have a microphone, there is no need to do so, so please, do not over annunciate.
Your volume and the length of your announcements are things that definitely do not gladden me and your delivery is the single most negative with respect to my match day experience.

As for the game but for a magnificent strike, there could have been no complaints if a point for each team was the reward.

You mean enunciate?
Didn't realise barrowman was even one of the commentators[emoji23]

Watched the stream, I thought Zanata and Connelly were our two best outfield players today, they created chances but no finishing power up front don’t see the negativity surrounding them both.
Agree they've been pretty good signings so far.

12 minutes ago, RRFC2711 said:

Watched the stream, I thought Zanata and Connelly were our two best outfield players today, they created chances but no finishing power up front don’t see the negativity surrounding them both.

I would agree with that.  They grew into the game and began to give Poplatnik more support as the game went on.

To be honest, easy to say, but if Vaughan played I reckon we would have gotten at least a point from that.

Thought the two sides were pretty evenly matched, a bit of real quality won the day for us. Thought Raith looked okay, fullbacks offered good width at time and had a good shape. Can see there is a distinctive drop in quality, not impressed at all by Connolly or Poplatnik - Vaughan clearly a big miss for you today. Also, if Reghan Tumilty could cross a football you might’ve got a result. Was disappointed Duku didn’t get it right up the away support.

I looked at the lineups before kick off and was very confident, I am obviously unapologetically biased but there aren’t many Raith players I’d rather take over ours.

Thought we looked the more likely throughout, we look like a side on the periphery of becoming very good. Was disappointed to not see Mckay coming on for some minutes. Danny Devine has been superb of late and that is not a sentence I ever thought I’d type. We were very fortunate Ridgers wasn’t sent off and also thought Broadfoot looked like he’d handled the ball second half, referee was poor throughout though so hardly surprising he got the big calls wrong.

Also, shoutout to Jamie MacDonald who is my favourite player I’ve seen play at Caley stadium, that’s never played for us. Always takes the patter about the cup final blunder well and seems like a thoroughly likeable bloke. 

8 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

It’s Andy Bannerman, not Barrrowman.

Of course it is, Andy Bannerman it is.

I was conflating our worst ever striker with the Bannerman surname that holds a special place in the hearts of local sports fans and the local Facebook loyal.

1 hour ago, scottbamby said:

Thought the two sides were pretty evenly matched, a bit of real quality won the day for us. Thought Raith looked okay, fullbacks offered good width at time and had a good shape. Can see there is a distinctive drop in quality, not impressed at all by Connolly or Poplatnik - Vaughan clearly a big miss for you today. Also, if Reghan Tumilty could cross a football you might’ve got a result. Was disappointed Duku didn’t get it right up the away support.

I looked at the lineups before kick off and was very confident, I am obviously unapologetically biased but there aren’t many Raith players I’d rather take over ours.

Thought we looked the more likely throughout, we look like a side on the periphery of becoming very good. Was disappointed to not see Mckay coming on for some minutes. Danny Devine has been superb of late and that is not a sentence I ever thought I’d type. We were very fortunate Ridgers wasn’t sent off and also thought Broadfoot looked like he’d handled the ball second half, referee was poor throughout though so hardly surprising he got the big calls wrong.

Disagree about the Rodgers tackle. A booking was right. It was a late tackle but since we got two defenders back to stop the ball going in I think the ref got that right.

I must say I did think there could have been a potential penalty to Raith for handball in the second half but can’t say for certain,

Im still not sure what to make of us. We played some lovely one touch passing at times. In possession we look good until we reach the final third. Again we are packing that quality in the middle of the park to play that final ball. I will wait to see how we are until Billy gets a few games under his belt before making a proper judgement.

Defensively though we still have massive problems. Broadfoot had a shambolic moment in the first half deciding to let the ball run back to the keeper when it was never making it. The Raith no 99 should have scored. He had another few dodgy moments. Another in the first half was from Devine where he was booked. It was actually good defending in the end to make the foul but he should never have been caught underneath the ball. God knows what happened that led to Rodgers getting booked but 2 of the back 4 ended up on the deck and the Raith striker was again clean through. These are all basic errors that should maybe be seen once every 10 games or so at worst. Never mind 3 in one game. I can see a very heavy defeat coming along at some point.

A draw would have probably been a fair result but a moment of magic won the game. 6 points from 6 and no goals conceded while not being particularly good is hopefully showing that we can scrape wins and not just getting a bit lucky before going on a horrendous run. That being said over the last two seasons we’d probably have drawn both of these games so it’s great to grab the winning goal.