Celtic FC vs Dundee FC

14 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

We have all pre-season been mocked, laughed at, repeatedly told how shite we are, how Ange is going to fail, our signings are banter etc etc etc.

This is the 1st game where Anges signings have all played together in the league and everything about our play was superb, we were utterly ruthless and it was just enjoyable to watch. 

elton.thumb.jpg.6d70e348d69766638bf92c522b973c20.jpg

2 hours ago, Greenlantern said:

You’re looking at this result from a completely different angle. For me personally it’s more relief than anything else, that is what this squad of players should be doing to teams that aren’t up to much. It’s been a while.

Being relentless and that continued creativity is what this Celtic side have been lacking for far too long.

I'm more having a go at the media and pundits who seem to think celtic hammering a dundee team still full of championship players is somehow outstanding .. I knew it would happen though.. The media and a large % of celtic fans love it when you regularly walloper a diddy team up here.. Yet when you get your arses felt in Europe its all unfair as you don't have the finances to compete 

48 minutes ago, Charliedee said:

I'm more having a go at the media and pundits who seem to think celtic hammering a dundee team still full of championship players is somehow outstanding .. I knew it would happen though.. The media and a large % of celtic fans love it when you regularly walloper a diddy team up here.. Yet when you get your arses felt in Europe its all unfair as you don't have the finances to compete 

Not necessarily, well not for a few yrs. all the teams that hammer us now have nowhere near out finances, just better players and better coached. 

13 minutes ago, Drew Brees said:

Not necessarily, well not for a few yrs. all the teams that hammer us now have nowhere near out finances, just better players and better coached. 

Bang on our wage bill is within a mil or 2 of Villareal who won the Europa League last season. Our faltering is due to bad signings, poor coaching and being poor tactically.

Edited by Jinky67

49 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

Bang on our wage bill is within a mil or 2 of Villareal who won the Europa League last season. Our faltering is due to bad signings, poor coaching and being poor tactically.

lets not forget the classic "we dont get enough competition in scotland" excuse that gets trotted out every season.🤣

1 hour ago, Jinky67 said:

Bang on our wage bill is within a mil or 2 of Villareal who won the Europa League last season. Our faltering is due to bad signings, poor coaching and being poor tactically. Neil Lennon 

FIFY

PS ever wonder what would have happened if the board had  properly backed Rodgers? 

Edited by Insaintee

1 minute ago, Insaintee said:

FIFY

PS ever wonder what would have happened if the board had  properly backed Rodgers? 

Its a funny one because Lennon did have some success in Europe in both his first and 2nd stints as manager but yes i do wonder what would have happened had we matched Rodgers ambition. 

For me it was certainly a massive opportunity missed to move Celtic in a really positive direction under Rodgers, we regressed massively under Lennon, still blows my mind at the pace of it also but hopefully Ange can do better, early signs suggest he is getting backing albeit maybe not at the pace he or we would like however there is reason for some optimism 

6 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

Its a funny one because Lennon did have some success in Europe in both his first and 2nd stints as manager but yes i do wonder what would have happened had we matched Rodgers ambition. 

For me it was certainly a massive opportunity missed to move Celtic in a really positive direction under Rodgers, we regressed massively under Lennon, still blows my mind at the pace of it also but hopefully Ange can do better, early signs suggest he is getting backing albeit maybe not at the pace he or we would like however there is reason for some optimism 

It is possible that with his MH issues, it was Lennon that regressed.  He used to be able to motivate players at the least did not seem able to do that last year.  Ange would have been a step up even on a fully functioning Lennon though. But I suspect it won't be too long until that same issue of ambition rears it's head. If he can genuinely get that level of performance from that squad, then maybe he's destined for higher things, and these days even the Championship is seen as a step up. 

7 minutes ago, Insaintee said:

It is possible that with his MH issues, it was Lennon that regressed.  He used to be able to motivate players at the least did not seem able to do that last year.  Ange would have been a step up even on a fully functioning Lennon though. But I suspect it won't be too long until that same issue of ambition rears it's head. If he can genuinely get that level of performance from that squad, then maybe he's destined for higher things, and these days even the Championship is seen as a step up. 

The ambition issue is one that i just don't get. If our ambition was to do well and progress in Europe the league by in large should take care of itself but we just seemed satisfied to stay 1st in a 2 way pissing contest and yet somehow conspired to f**k that up from a position of complete dominance. 

I agree Ange is a positive step up on Lennon i think we can see already performance and fitness levels improving, Christie looks reborn and even Ralston in the last 2 or 3 games has improved significantly enough he could possibly seen as an adequate backup to whoever comes in from Bustos or Buta. 

Still early days but it just feels good to look forward to games and be excited

20 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

The ambition issue is one that i just don't get. If our ambition was to do well and progress in Europe the league by in large should take care of itself but we just seemed satisfied to stay 1st in a 2 way pissing contest and yet somehow conspired to f**k that up from a position of complete dominance. 

Seriously lacking in the ambition stakes, we never strengthen before we find out if we’re in the CL or not, I’m pretty sure if rangers had been in our position over the last 9 years they would’ve been in the group stages a lot more than our 2(?) appearances. They don’t seem to have a problem spending and backing their manager early on. The money we’ve pissed away over the last 9 years due to not getting to the group stages is a depressing thought. 

Yesterday was the type of game where if Celtic were flying we'd have been more likely to have kept a respectable scoreline as we'd have changed the shape. Very much naivety/arrogance on our part and it reminded me of when we went to Ibrox under Hartley in the cup thinking that Rangers would be easy pickings for a top 6 squad like ours. The manager clearly thought we'd be coming up against a diddy Championship outfit and then we conceded within 60 seconds before getting pumped.

Yesterday was similar. McPake clearly thought we could just out-play Celtic and their defence would leak goals but didn't take into account just how pish our backline is and we went for a battering ram type up top rather than the 'never lets you have a second type' in Mullen that has made that type of formation successful for us.

With no pressure being put on Celtic with our high press, they were able to pick us off at will and then we, as is typical in high scoring McPake games, just lost any sense of organisation and got pumped.

19 minutes ago, Drew Brees said:

Seriously lacking in the ambition stakes, we never strengthen before we find out if we’re in the CL or not, I’m pretty sure if rangers had been in our position over the last 9 years they would’ve been in the group stages a lot more than our 2(?) appearances. They don’t seem to have a problem spending and backing their manager early on. The money we’ve pissed away over the last 9 years due to not getting to the group stages is a depressing thought. 

To be fair to Rangers you are spot on, they still have a chance this year if they get their shit together tomorrow.

To add up the money we squandered and that has potentially slipped through our fingers would be too depressing to even make a start on and then you have to add the cherry on top by taking into account Peter Lawells renumeration package. It's obscene

1 hour ago, Jinky67 said:

I agree Ange is a positive step up on Lennon i think we can see already performance and fitness levels improving, Christie looks reborn and even Ralston in the last 2 or 3 games has improved significantly enough he could possibly seen as an adequate backup to whoever comes in from Bustos or Buta. 

Still early days but it just feels good to look forward to games and be excited

Ralston looks like a unit, but can't defend very well. Might be better as a CH where the job is a bit more straight forward

Edited by Insaintee

On 09/08/2021 at 17:47, Ludo*1 said:

Yesterday was the type of game where if Celtic were flying we'd have been more likely to have kept a respectable scoreline as we'd have changed the shape. Very much naivety/arrogance on our part and it reminded me of when we went to Ibrox under Hartley in the cup thinking that Rangers would be easy pickings for a top 6 squad like ours. The manager clearly thought we'd be coming up against a diddy Championship outfit and then we conceded within 60 seconds before getting pumped.

Yesterday was similar. McPake clearly thought we could just out-play Celtic and their defence would leak goals but didn't take into account just how pish our backline is and we went for a battering ram type up top rather than the 'never lets you have a second type' in Mullen that has made that type of formation successful for us.

With no pressure being put on Celtic with our high press, they were able to pick us off at will and then we, as is typical in high scoring McPake games, just lost any sense of organisation and got pumped.

Mc Pake is so lucky that when he gets it wrong, he has so many joiners and engineers willing to lend their expertise to advise him why.

8 minutes ago, johan scott said:

Mc Pake is so lucky that when he gets it wrong, he has so many joiners and engineers willing to lend their expertise to advise him why.

The reason football is so popular is because it's an accessible sport. Look at across the road, they've appointed a manager who may as well be a joiner or engineer for all he's qualified for the role.