East adventures in the Scottish Cup - 2021-22

39 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Saturday 25th September 2021
R1 replays:
Dalbeattie Star v Newtongrange Star
Edinburgh University v Lothian Thistle HV
Haddington Athletic v Deveronvale

Good luck to all tomorrow.

Hope Haddy get a decent turnout, can see this one stretching to extra time.

Edin Uni or LTHV - don't think there is very much between them. It will be close.

Dalbeattie should be strong favourites against NS. There's a lot of distance in league places between them.

4 minutes ago, Man from the East said:

Edin Uni or LTHV - don't think there is very much between them. It will be close.

Dalbeattie should be strong favourites against NS. There's a lot of distance in league places between them.

I'll give you extremely good odds it won't go to extra-time.

4 minutes ago, Man from the East said:

Distance in league places between LL and EOS/WOS tier 6 isn't that good of an indicator of who will go through. Dalbeattie for example went out of the South Challenge Cup to tier 7 Whitletts Victoria, currently 7th in WOS Conference A. Going by these rankings might be more useful: http://scotscores.theroonba.com/clubrank/clubrank.html

Haddington ranked 108 v Deveronvale 142, with home advantage the HiHis have a good chance of going through (they beat Broomhill last season mind).

Ed Uni 164 v LTHV 112, the students should've won last week after they missed a golden chance to go 3-0 up.

Dalbeattie 119 v Newtongrange Star 140, draw was the "expected" result last time, home advantage might help but it could also see penalties.

8 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

12 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Given that there's around two divisions between them, you are probably right, I applied that logic for Newtongrange. I think I'm hoping for as big an East Lothian success as possible. Deveronvale have a great organisation behind them, excellent ground, one of the very best club websites and seem to have a bit of cash.   

36 minutes ago, Man from the East said:

31 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

7 minutes ago, Man from the East said:

Given that there's around two divisions between them, you are probably right, I applied that logic for Newtongrange.

There isnt any!

11 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

Distance in league places between LL and EOS/WOS tier 6 isn't that good of an indicator of who will go through. Dalbeattie for example went out of the South Challenge Cup to tier 7 Whitletts Victoria, currently 7th in WOS Conference A. Going by these rankings might be more useful: http://scotscores.theroonba.com/clubrank/clubrank.html

Haddington ranked 108 v Deveronvale 142, with home advantage the HiHis have a good chance of going through (they beat Broomhill last season mind).

Ed Uni 164 v LTHV 112, the students should've won last week after they missed a golden chance to go 3-0 up.

Dalbeattie 119 v Newtongrange Star 140, draw was the "expected" result last time, home advantage might help but it could also see penalties.

I dont know about the students should have won. I spent 90 minutes watching it and it was difficult to determine the LL team. LTHV in my book were the better side.

Thats quite a lot of data on that site. No idea how the weightings are worked out. Tranent J sitting 40 places above Berwick.... no sure about that one. Broxburn beaten twice by DUFC very recently and aslo Sauchie sitting 20 odd points above Dunbar seems a bit inaccurate. But you put the numbers in and out comes the answer. I'd like to see the logic of the weightings.  But its a very clear site to follow. Think I'll just go with gut feeling.

4 hours ago, Ginaro said:

The students ‘could’ve’ won but it wasn’t a miss the keeper made a bl***y good save.

the other goals were a goalmouth mixup and a deflection, Hutchie hit the woodwork twice and had another good couple of chances so the draw wasn’t unreasonable. It’ll be interesting to see how tomorrow’s game pans out.

17 hours ago, Man from the East said:

Thats quite a lot of data on that site. No idea how the weightings are worked out. Tranent J sitting 40 places above Berwick.... no sure about that one. Broxburn beaten twice by DUFC very recently and aslo Sauchie sitting 20 odd points above Dunbar seems a bit inaccurate. But you put the numbers in and out comes the answer. I'd like to see the logic of the weightings.  But its a very clear site to follow. Think I'll just go with gut feeling.

The issue with the scoring there is the lack of inter conference matches until this season. Now everyone is in the pyramid and there's no junior/senior split it'll be a lot closer to reality in a year or two. Tranent having a great record in their own wee conference gives them a push above their station at the minute obviously. Still some interesting reading.

Dalbeattie Star 3-2 Newtongrange Star
Edinburgh University 0-3 Lothian Thistle HV
Haddington Athletic 1-1 Deveronvale (5-3p)

After a rocky start they quickly rectified with a lovely equalier Haddington had more play, pressure and opportunites. I felt they deserved to win on penalties.

Tier 7 bloodies another nose from Tier 5.

LTHV comfortable.

Newtongrange edged-out.

3 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Dalbeattie Star 3-2 Newtongrange Star
Edinburgh University 0-3 Lothian Thistle HV
Haddington Athletic 1-1 Deveronvale (5-3p)

After a rocky start they quickly rectified with a lovely equalier Haddington had more play, pressure and opportunites. I felt they deserved to win on penalties.

Tier 7 bloodies another nose from Tier 5.

LTHV comfortable.

Newtongrange edged-out.

Some result from Hutchy. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/09/2021 at 17:58, Man from the East said:

Think it's an ELO system where you lose/gain points based on the strength of your opponent and the result (including the margin of victory), with recent matches weighed higher. IIRC home advantage is also taken into account. The guy who made it posted about it here: 

Those 40 places will also include other clubs from the west in between them. However Tranent are top of the EOS and beat Berwick two years ago so I don't think a win for them would be unexpected. Of course if Tranent play a club ranked lower like Berwick but don't win, they will lose ranking points.

DUFC may have won against those clubs but they also lost ranking points against others (including Leith in the cup), though still up on last season (114th). If you click on a club's name you can see the points gained/lost, e.g. http://scotscores.theroonba.com/clubrank/dunbar united.html 

On 25/09/2021 at 11:38, AsimButtHitsASix said:

The issue with the scoring there is the lack of inter conference matches until this season. Now everyone is in the pyramid and there's no junior/senior split it'll be a lot closer to reality in a year or two. Tranent having a great record in their own wee conference gives them a push above their station at the minute obviously. Still some interesting reading.

Suppose we'll find out more with the Scottish Cup and when the South Challenge Cup comes along this month (also in November when it goes to an open draw). Though Tranent have only lost two games since October 2020, and one of those was against East Fife! Would certainly make them favourites against Broomhill...

• 2 weeks later...

Having had nothing but South Challenge Cup ties last weekend: remarkably enough there are games across all 4 divisions/conferences plus 6 different rounds of 4 different cups this weekend.

However no question that most eyes are drawn to the Scottish Cup where an impressive 8 clubs remain involved. Of these 2 are guaranteed to progress. Jeanfield, Haddington and Preston are underdogs while Tranent have a great chance.

Annan Athletic v Jeanfield Swifts
Brechin City v Haddington Athletic
Broomhill v Tranent

Dunbar United v Lothian Thistle HV
Preston Athletic v Auchinleck Talbot

Sauchie v Dunipace

Annan Athletic 3-1 Jeanfield Swifts
Brechin City 2-1 Haddington Athletic
Broomhill 0-2 Tranent

Dunbar United 1-1 Lothian Thistle HV
Preston Athletic 0-2 Auchinleck Talbot

Sauchie 2-1 Dunipace

Gut-wrenching defeats all around by the looks of it. Haddington led but ultimately lost to a goal on 90mins. Jeanfield were 0-0 at HT. Preston had a man sent-off on 20mins but only conceded in the closing 10mins in front of almost 900. Meanwhile a good win for Tranent... Sauchie do the business against Dunipace for 2nd week running before almost 700.... Dunbar and LTHV will do it all again next week, at Ainslie Park.

So really great opportunity now for LTHV/Dunbar, Sauchie and Tranent in tomorrow's R3 draw. Everybody below Premiership join including Kilmarnock, Hamilton, Partick, Inverness, Falkirk; we could even see Clackmannanshire derby.

Why does the EOS website highlight this ?   Who else do they want to claim ?

The draw for the 3rd Round of the Scottish Cup as it affects East of Scotland Clubs is as under - 

Alloa Athletic v Bonnyrigg Rose Athletic
Civil Service Strollers v Peterhead
Gala Fairydean Rovers v Annan Athletic

And !!!

Kelty Hearts v Montrose

2 minutes ago, superbigal said:

The draw for the 3rd Round of the Scottish Cup as it affects East of Scotland Clubs is as under - 

And !!!

Kelty Hearts v Montrose

Members of East of Scotland FA?

25 minutes ago, superbigal said:

And !!!

Kelty Hearts v Montrose

It's not like they haven't made it obvious

image.thumb.png.0bc898358cbb6c6dc09fbed79562d03a.png