Being Fat is Now Healthy?

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Oh yeah, missed that bit. :lol: Anyway, my point was that nobody's ever thought I want to get really fat so I can look like Roseanne Barr, but millions have probably died from anorexia trying to look like Kate Moss.

But being fat is patently unhealthy. The messaging around being overweight should never be "This is healthy" as it's quite simply a lie.

This is from an old edition of a magazine that is famous for publishing utter shite on many topics, so Christ knows why it's got some folk frothing now.

It should go without saying, but if your significant other ever utters the words, "let's try this thing I read in Cosmo tonight", feign a headache.

4 minutes ago, Empty It said:
9 minutes ago, welshbairn said:
Oh yeah, missed that bit. emoji38.png Anyway, my point was that nobody's ever thought I want to get really fat so I can look like Roseanne Barr, but millions have probably died from anorexia trying to look like Kate Moss.

Agreed, I'm not into body shaming in any way whether its because someone is overweight or because someone is underweight although underweight seems to be fair game for taking abuse whereas obesity is untouchable. Both are unhealthy and shouldn't be encouraged by lies like saying they are healthy.

I almost gave you a green dot then but spotted you suggested fat people aren't abused but skinny people are! What world are you living in? Twitter?

I almost gave you a green dot then but spotted you suggested fat people aren't abused but skinny people are! What world are you living in? Twitter?
The mainstream media.

ETA didn't say fat people aren't abused but anytime its discussed there is a massive pile on about body shaming which quite simply doesn't happen when discussing people that are underweight.

5 minutes ago, BFTD said:

This is from an old edition of a magazine that is famous for publishing utter shite on many topics, so Christ knows why it's got some folk frothing now.

It should go without saying, but if your significant other ever utters the words, "let's try this thing I read in Cosmo tonight", feign a headache.

Do you know roughly how old it is? Had a quick google but I could only find it on recent twitter feeds. It's odd when something's dredged up all of a sudden to make it look like it's the latest issue in a propaganda war.

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

Aye, that's one of the most mental takes on a subject I've seen on here. It's right up there with the American right-wing white males who bitterly complain about the terrible persecution they've experienced in the modern world.

Even with these + size models is there not still photoshopping/cropping/careful lighting and angles getting used; would throw out a hot take that technology and professional image manipulation is more damaging to self-image for people who see the pictures than the actual physical appearance of the models themselves.

edit: more confident in a take that being overweight is objectively unhealthy, there was a laundry list of problems it causes i mind reading a while back, things like carrying too much body fat makes you more prone to health conditions like diabetes, its bad for your bone density etc.

Im not getting into the whole "but bodybuilders have a high BMI!" thing tbh, its just a sound rule of thumb I think.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

Aye, that's one of the most mental takes on a subject I've seen on here. It's right up there with the American right-wing white males who bitterly complain about the terrible persecution they've experienced in the modern world.
Again never once even suggested "skinny people are abused fat people aren't" it's the fact the topic of obesity is untouchable without a massive critical pile on which doesn't happen when discussing people that are underweight.

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

Do you know roughly how old it is? Had a quick google but I could only find it on recent twitter feeds. It's odd when something's dredged up all of a sudden to make it look like it's the latest issue in a propaganda war.

February. There's a thing here about what they were trying to achieve with the article, but let's be honest - they just thought it'd shift a few extra copies.

https://curiosityshots.com/whats-healthy-and-who-decides-the-controversial-cosmopolitan-cover/

9 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

But being fat is patently unhealthy. The messaging around being overweight should never be "This is healthy" as it's quite simply a lie.

No idea where you get your messaging from, maybe you should get out more. Nobody apart form a handful of loons like Jonathon Ross's daughter is saying fat is healthy. The Government's talking about giving veg on the NHS ffs.

No idea where you get your messaging from, maybe you should get out more. Nobody apart form a handful of loons like Jonathon Ross's daughter is saying fat is healthy. The Government's talking about giving veg on the NHS ffs.
These loons are getting more and more time in the mainstream media which is the problem.

1 minute ago, Empty It said:
3 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Again never once even suggested "skinny people are abused fat people aren't" it's the fact the topic of obesity is untouchable without a massive critical pile on which doesn't happen when discussing people that are underweight.

Never said you did, so I'm not sure why you're quoting that.

Maybe try speaking to a few fatties about their daily experiences before believing whatever shite people are spouting on the internet.

Never said you did, so I'm not sure why you're quoting that.
Maybe try speaking to a few fatties about their daily experiences before believing whatever shite people are spouting on the internet.
Because that's what you're saying my mental take was despite it never being my take, that's why it was quoted.

I realise in wider society obesity gets it tight but I'm talking about the precedent the media are setting where it's okay to pile on underweight but when talking about obesity its untouchable. Anybody that bodyshames people for being either underweight or overweight is a dribbling simpleton.

16 minutes ago, Empty It said:

Because that's what you're saying my mental take was despite it never being my take, that's why it was quoted.

I realise in wider society obesity gets it tight but I'm talking about the precedent the media are setting where it's okay to pile on underweight but when talking about obesity its untouchable. Anybody that bodyshames people for being either underweight or overweight is a dribbling simpleton.

I absolutely wasn't. You've read something that wasn't there, and I fear that's what you're also doing with whatever you think you're seeing in the media.

5 hours ago, Empty It said:
5 hours ago, welshbairn said:

These loons are getting more and more time in the mainstream media which is the problem.

Shut up! Forfar need all the media attention going.

Anyway, I'm toned, always have been.  Never had a wait problem at anytime of my life and now hitting 47, still no gut. I have never been into sweet food of any sort to the extreme, I don't eat chocolate and haven't had any since my 8 birthday party.  I've tasted since, but still don't like the texture or taste. 

So.....I've got nothing to say about fat folk and their disease(is that not what they call it).  feel sorry for folk with wait problems/slow metabolism. 

1 minute ago, SlipperyP said:

Shut up! Forfar need all the media attention going.

Anyway, I'm toned, always have been.  Never had a wait problem at anytime of my life and now hitting 47, still no gut. I have never been into sweet food of any sort to the extreme, I don't eat chocolate and haven't had any since my 8 birthday party.  I've tasted since, but still don't like the texture or taste. 

So.....I've got nothing to say about fat folk and their disease(is that not what they call it).  feel sorry for folk with wait problems/slow metabolism. 

^^^small boned.

6 hours ago, BFTD said:

It’s almost as if the OP has trawled the internet to find something from the past to be offended by in the present.

I absolutely wasn't. You've read something that wasn't there, and I fear that's what you're also doing with whatever you think you're seeing in the media.
Not sure what you were suggesting was a mental take then considering that was the entire content of the post you quoted.

6 hours ago, welshbairn said:

The 5 month old magazine covers on this thread.

Twice now you've ignored them to claim such messaging doesn't happen. Do you always just pretend things which don't suit your argument exist?

Edited by Todd_is_God