Kilwinning Rangers 23/24

Last game of an incredibly disappointing season.

However, today represents a fresh start, an opportunity to begin again and look forward to something more positive next season.

Onwards and upwards COYB.

FB_IMG_1683966331780.jpg

• funky monkey changed the title to Kilwinning Rangers 23/24
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I couldn't really work the team out on Tuesday. We started the game well enough and it looked like only a matter of time before we scored.  We could have probably had 4/5 in the first half had we taken our chances (although both strikers look rusty).

Maybole were well organised and didn't really provide much of a threat in the first half, but we totally lost control after the break and we were lucky not to concede 2 or 3.

I couldn't work out the tactics up front - both Mackin and Boyd were playing on the last line of defence and the only method of attack seemed to be for one of them to flick a long ball onto the other.... except they were always running in opposite directions. There was a huge gap behind the strikers which meant Maybole gathered it easily when the attack inevitably broke down.

I have no idea if Mackin's disallowed goal was offside or not, but the lack of assistant referees was another reminder of what level we find ourselves at.  This might prove to be a long slog of a season.  It's clearly very hard to attract quality players at this level unless you are offering hundreds per week.

Edited by energyzone

19 hours ago, energyzone said:

I couldn't really work the team out on Tuesday. We started the game well enough and it looked like only a matter of time before we scored.  We could have probably had 4/5 in the first half had we taken our chances (although both strikers look rusty).

Maybole were well organised and didn't really provide much of a threat in the first half, but we totally lost control after the break and we were lucky not to concede 2 or 3.

I couldn't work out the tactics up front - both Mackin and Boyd were playing on the last line of defence and the only method of attack seemed to be for one of them to flick a long ball onto the other.... except they were always running in opposite directions. There was a huge gap behind the strikers which meant Maybole gathered it easily when the attack inevitably broke down.

I have no idea if Mackin's disallowed goal was offside or not, but the lack of assistant referees was another reminder of what level we find ourselves at.  This might prove to be a long slog of a season.  It's clearly very hard to attract quality players at this level unless you are offering hundreds per week.

Reviewing the highlights, we should have been out of sight first half. Second half nothing much seemed to work for us. Great finish from the Maybole boy for their goal.

A couple of issues stick out for me. We haven't refreshed the squad as much as I was expecting, more or less relying upon the same group of players who got us relegated. Agree that the two big lads up front is a combination that isn't going to work, get Jack started on Saturday, he's much more mobile and a natural finisher.

Just to echo a few points as I’m watching from afar this season due to work commitments but I really expected more incomings before the season started.

With the huge sponsorship deal(s) and us gaining a fee from the sale of TC where is the money?

I wasn’t hugely enamoured by the appointment of Aitken and am less so now. Post-match interviews are becoming increasingly similar and him not having faith in young Jack is baffling to me.

Last season things were all too quiet on the sidelines and from what I gather, this hasn’t improved any this season.

20 hours ago, Peter Culter said:

Just to echo a few points as I’m watching from afar this season due to work commitments but I really expected more incomings before the season started.

With the huge sponsorship deal(s) and us gaining a fee from the sale of TC where is the money?

I wasn’t hugely enamoured by the appointment of Aitken and am less so now. Post-match interviews are becoming increasingly similar and him not having faith in young Jack is baffling to me.

Last season things were all too quiet on the sidelines and from what I gather, this hasn’t improved any this season.

The management team were fairly animated on the sidelines, albeit I don't really pay much attention to the benches.

I do think players should be problem solvers on the pitch and for the majority of the second half our two strikers tried the same thing over and over again without any success and without much help from the midfield.  The squad doesn't look great I agree but it's early days.

How much was TC sold for? 

1 hour ago, energyzone said:

The management team were fairly animated on the sidelines, albeit I don't really pay much attention to the benches.

I do think players should be problem solvers on the pitch and for the majority of the second half our two strikers tried the same thing over and over again without any success and without much help from the midfield.  The squad doesn't look great I agree but it's early days.

How much was TC sold for? 

I’m unsure of the figure but we would have gotten a fee for him as he was under contract.

On 03/08/2023 at 14:55, energyzone said:

I think Chris Aitken could be on borrowed time at the buffs sadly,  they just appear to be rudderless and going in a poor direction and I think he will last only another month or two,  will miss visits to the new buffs Park as its got a proper feel to it as a ground and far better than these cage like astro venues .

We stayed in the game but Drumchapel deserved the win.

We are going to need more quality if we want to compete in this league.

Not sure what is going on in terms of recruitment. There's not enough renewal or refreshment of the squad that got us relegated.

1 point from 12, we just aren't stopping the slide.

A crucial game at Whitletts midweek, followed by a home fixture against high flying Shotts next Saturday.

FB_IMG_1691857953125.jpg

Well…well…well.

How long do the committee give it?

A continuous downward slide where we are now needing a win at Whitletts (which tells its own story as to how far we’ve fallen) to kickstart our already-fragile promotion push.

Not to worry, though.

The players will have been told it’s unacceptable and that they need to improve. The fans will probably be given a shoutout for their backing, too. Seems to be the way of it.

1 minute ago, Peter Culter said:

Well…well…well.

How long do the committee give it?

A continuous downward slide where we are now needing a win at Whitletts (which tells its own story as to how far we’ve fallen) to kickstart our already-fragile promotion push.

Not to worry, though.

The players will have been told it’s unacceptable and that they need to improve. The fans will probably be given a shoutout for their backing, too. Seems to be the way of it.

As a club we are sleepwalking into a double relegation, make no mistake about it.

Why Aitken hasn't brought in his own players is anyone's guess.

As it is, we just aren't good enough to compete at the moment, there is still so much wrong with the team.