Kilwinning Rangers 23/24

10 minutes ago, Park the Buffs said:

Broadly agree with your list FM. Although I think Mark Miller and Blair McIntyre have been excellent. Also big Nicol, Robbie Torrance and Dom Bolland have been good at times. Throw in young Jack up front and Euan as the back up goalie you’ve got a decent basis for a squad. What you haven’t got is a top quality central defender who can organise the others and who has the physicality to win those defensive headers at set pieces. Until this is addressed we’ll remain at the wrong end of the table.

We are absolutely crying out for a dominant centre half who can lead and organise the team. We also need to be more vocal, we are very quiet as a team.

1 hour ago, Park the Buffs said:

Broadly agree with your list FM. Although I think Mark Miller and Blair McIntyre have been excellent. Also big Nicol, Robbie Torrance and Dom Bolland have been good at times. Throw in young Jack up front and Euan as the back up goalie you’ve got a decent basis for a squad. What you haven’t got is a top quality central defender who can organise the others and who has the physicality to win those defensive headers at set pieces. Until this is addressed we’ll remain at the wrong end of the table.

I agree with you on the youngsters, Euan and Jack.

Of the players Gormley has brought in only really Craig Gordon, Dylan Mackin & Blair MacIntyre have stood out for me as excellent business. 

Robbie Torrance has been good when played and is a much better bet than the head case Boland.

Mark Millar can be an asset when played in his natural position but for some reason has been stuck at the back more often than not where he’s been pretty poor.

Kevin Nicoll reminds me of watching Bambi when I was young.

Hard to understand why young MacCalman wasn’t given a chance considering the mess our defence is in.

Team has gone backwards at an alarming rate, reminds me of the time we went from Mark Shanks to Paul Wright & we know how that ended!! 

Go back to start of season & players interviews, it was all about being competitive & competing at top of the league, obviously talk a good game

6 conceded at home to Talbot & Darvel, 5 away at Clydebank, any decent team will take goals off us "but that's football" & "they're a good team ain't they" seem to be the answers from management team 

When the 4 or 5 changes a game are being made, does anyone remember a time when these changes made had a positive impact?? 

5 hours ago, ADR said:

Team has gone backwards at an alarming rate, reminds me of the time we went from Mark Shanks to Paul Wright & we know how that ended!! 

Go back to start of season & players interviews, it was all about being competitive & competing at top of the league, obviously talk a good game

6 conceded at home to Talbot & Darvel, 5 away at Clydebank, any decent team will take goals off us "but that's football" & "they're a good team ain't they" seem to be the answers from management team 

When the 4 or 5 changes a game are being made, does anyone remember a time when these changes made had a positive impact?? 

It's a good point. I agree that there has been a clear change in tact in the post match interviews, a re-setting of early season goals.

All Buffs fans care about is being competitive in every game we take part in, losing 5 and 6 goals against teams that we would consider to be our peers is not being competitive.

11 hours ago, Peter Culter said:

I think considering the way our league form has been this season and where we currently sit maximum points from the next three games is a must.

Not only to improve fortunes on the pitch but hopefully give the supporters a bit of a boost as things haven’t been too good thus far.

Agree with that. Going to Cumnock next will be difficult though, they've got a good side, we need to be on it from the start.

11 hours ago, Peter Culter said:

I think considering the way our league form has been this season and where we currently sit maximum points from the next three games is a must.

Not only to improve fortunes on the pitch but hopefully give the supporters a bit of a boost as things haven’t been too good thus far.

No pressure then. Surely maximum points is aiming a bit high. It would take a remarkable turn of fortune.

I thought that Kilwinning were decent against us and as ever was a hard game down there.We had the lead but were pegged back and under pressure at points albeit it ended up a draw.Felt that day Kilwinning would be stuffy for any side to play against but having seen recent heavy defeats not sure if our game was one of their best performances?

Probably first time I've seen the Buffs 5 0 down at HT. Buffs giving away goals for fun.

Bizarrely, second half we completely dominated and got a couple back.

We play some good football going forward, but we can't defend to save ourselves. If you can't defend you can't win football matches.

Everybody associated with the Buffs has known for a long time where our problems lie, check back on this thread for confirmation. Yet nothing has been done to improve the situation and that lies squarely with the management team.

Thoughts tonight with our two young players stretchered off with serious looking injuries, hopefully they are back on their feet very soon.

Edited by funky monkey

Hope the injuries aren’t long term, horrible thing. Manager wise, forgive me and probably my ignorance, did he not take on a squad that had seen decent players sold, moved on from it etc, long term manager departed, had to rebuild a team in probably the most competitive market in recent memory, Not long ago Leishman was reportedly being offered a head turner to join buffs for comparison. Also the former Chairman (who maintained a high level of visibility) decided to part ways.

My point being is that not lot of change as a club in a short amount of time? do you think someone can come in and make immediate improvements? Personally I’d stick by him but you guys watch it regularly,

3 hours ago, Killiepiyo said:

Hope the injuries aren’t long term, horrible thing. Manager wise, forgive me and probably my ignorance, did he not take on a squad that had seen decent players sold, moved on from it etc, long term manager departed, had to rebuild a team in probably the most competitive market in recent memory, Not long ago Leishman was reportedly being offered a head turner to join buffs for comparison. Also the former Chairman (who maintained a high level of visibility) decided to part ways.

My point being is that not lot of change as a club in a short amount of time? do you think someone can come in and make immediate improvements? Personally I’d stick by him but you guys watch it regularly,

We lost a few players during Chris Strain's final months at the club and then Syme and McGowan to Darvel.

There was a core of players who remained at the club yet initially Gormley refused to play them despite many of his own signings failing to perform. Gormley brought in so many players that some came in for a game or two and then left, the revolving door in full swing.

He signed experienced players in Chris Millar, Mark Miller and Kevin Nicholl, none of these players has worked out. I'm assuming that all 3 will be on reasonable money.

Recently Gormley has resorted to relying upon the players who were here when he arrived Lewis, Collins, Stuart, Woods, Gavin Millar, these are our best players.

Of the multiple signings he made, very few have been successful, Mackin, Gordon and McIntyre being the best.

We lost our goalkeeper Craig Gordon to a training ground injury and have had to reply upon our u21 keeper who has had no help from the defending in front of him.

Who knows where the Buffs go from here? We are in a relegation battle, something we've not been used to for a while now.

Is Gormley the man to take us forward? Who knows is the genuine answer. Going forward we are still reasonably good. At the back we are absolutely shambolic. Those running the club will have a view, I wouldn't be surprised if we stuck with Gormley for now. As noted the market for players is expensive and competitive, I wouldn't imagine there is much cash at the club if any.

Said at the time this wasn’t the right appointment, poor recruitment in players, I’d take Swift as manager in a heartbeat. The fact Gormley applied for the Pollok job tells me his heads not in it for our club.  
COYB

Edited by Kilwinning Rangers 1899
Spelling mistakes

9 minutes ago, Kilwinning Rangers 1899 said:

Said at the time this wasn’t the right appointment, poor recruitment in players, I’d take Swift as manager in a heartbeat. The fact Gormley applied for the Pollok job tells me his heads not in it for our club.  
COYB

Recruitment has been very poor. Too many not up to the standard of this league.

I can't imagine that Gormley applied for the Pollok job. I'm sure our committee wouldn't tolerate that.