Kilwinning Rangers 23/24

I’m a bit sceptical about 17/18 year olds getting into our first team en masse. There’s a physicality and a level of know how required at the level we’re at now. Also when you go on a poor run confidence evaporates in young players as we saw in recent weeks. I get the infrastructure thing taking priority but there’s a level of expectation around the club and the supporters now that demands a stronger playing squad than we’ve currently got - both in terms of quality and numbers.

6 minutes ago, Park the Buffs said:

I’m a bit sceptical about 17/18 year olds getting into our first team en masse. There’s a physicality and a level of know how required at the level we’re at now. Also when you go on a poor run confidence evaporates in young players as we saw in recent weeks. I get the infrastructure thing taking priority but there’s a level of expectation around the club and the supporters now that demands a stronger playing squad than we’ve currently got - both in terms of quality and numbers.

There is a level of expectation but we are where we are. It'll take another push and money to get to the level that Talbot, Darvel and Pollok are hitting this season. We'll get there I have no doubt as the club are ambitious, just going to need to be patient for another season or two. Plenty of players have enquired about joining the Buffs for next season, such is the draw of the facilities now. It's frustrating beating Clydebank, Darvel, Pollok and Talbot at home and then losing to some of the lesser lights. The club is heading in the right direction though, a top 5/6 finish is reasonable this season, we will get there eventually. 

7 hours ago, Park the Buffs said:

A fair summing up FM. I think our inconsistency is due to a lack of any real strength in depth. Our best 11 can give anybody a game - Pollok game proved that - but the quality drops of severely beyond that 11. Our bench most weeks consists of players carrying knocks, unproven youngsters and guys who are miles off the pace at this level. Tommy Sloan regularly picks up 3 points by bringing on real quality second half - and if we want to compete for the league we need a squad of 20 top level players not a dozen.

Wouldn’t we all love Auchinleck’s squad that’s been built over the last 5/6 years. but considering we’ve only had real changing rooms for a couple of seasons, gives a wee bit more time.

“Steady the Buffs” isn’t printed on our kits because we like it, it’s the mantra of the club, one we’ll be sticking to.

Not being in a relegation spot considering the off field improvements we’ve made is something I’m proud of everyone at the club for.

Over the next couple of seasons we can reduce our borrowing and focus on the field, but again that will be done in a Steady, Buffs way, our planned Halo scouting system that will be coming next season should over time give us an advantage.

The pathway is something to look forward to, especially with the 19s in the Scottish cup final which hopefully signals some decent players coming through.

While it's great that the ground has had the work done I'm wary of the investment being diverted too much from the playing staff for much longer if some of the West sides start getting promoted into the LL. It'll become increasingly difficult to attract decent players with experience if there are a handful of other West teams playing at a higher level scouting for the same type of player.

I still think Talbot will win the league and get promoted which would mean next year's WOS league would be a cracker. It'd be good to be in the mix for that.

There is a level of expectation but we are where we are. It'll take another push and money to get to the level that Talbot, Darvel and Pollok are hitting this season. We'll get there I have no doubt as the club are ambitious, just going to need to be patient for another season or two. Plenty of players have enquired about joining the Buffs for next season, such is the draw of the facilities now. It's frustrating beating Clydebank, Darvel, Pollok and Talbot at home and then losing to some of the lesser lights. The club is heading in the right direction though, a top 5/6 finish is reasonable this season, we will get there eventually. 
Are the facilities a big draw for this level? I can understand players being put off by the changing rooms at Abbey Park but I would have thought clubs at this level were much of a muchness when it comes to facilities?

13 minutes ago, energyzone said:
1 hour ago, funky monkey said:

Are the facilities a big draw for this level? I can understand players being put off by the changing rooms at Abbey Park but I would have thought clubs at this level were much of a muchness when it comes to facilities?

Changing facilities, gym membership, Clair Hub, grass pitch etc. All clubs are doing their best to improve facilities, but like to think ours will become amongst the best and there's no doubt that the club do everything they can to look after the players. There's definitely a demand for what's on offer. 

20 minutes ago, energyzone said:

The pathway is something to look forward to, especially with the 19s in the Scottish cup final which hopefully signals some decent players coming through.

While it's great that the ground has had the work done I'm wary of the investment being diverted too much from the playing staff for much longer if some of the West sides start getting promoted into the LL. It'll become increasingly difficult to attract decent players with experience if there are a handful of other West teams playing at a higher level scouting for the same type of player.

I still think Talbot will win the league and get promoted which would mean next year's WOS league would be a cracker. It'd be good to be in the mix for that.

The playing staff budget has been the same for the past 4 years, it hasn’t been decreased at all.

What’s been achieved at the new ground is amazing in a such a short time period and everybody involved deserves tremendous credit. However the playing squad has actually got worse as the season has gone on with one departure after another. I’d like to see a bit more stability on that front with us actually building (however gradually) a squad that can compete with Talbot.

3 hours ago, funky monkey said:

How does a player go about enquiring to join the buffs? 

On 04/04/2022 at 17:16, funky monkey said:

I feel us and the buffs r 2 very similiar clubs with great ambition, doing loads of work in there park and surroundings and when it comes 2 on the park we cant compete financially with pollok darvel n talbot. Stick with strain as manager and he will take use places as will moff with us. How r use guys getting on with ur licence? 

Mon the papers

13 hours ago, passbackdave said:

I feel us and the buffs r 2 very similiar clubs with great ambition, doing loads of work in there park and surroundings and when it comes 2 on the park we cant compete financially with pollok darvel n talbot. Stick with strain as manager and he will take use places as will moff with us. How r use guys getting on with ur licence? 

Mon the papers

Totally agree with you. The licence is more or less done and dusted so senior Scottish here we come. Unless something crazy happens Chris Strain will be our manager from years to come, his obvious love for the club won't be matched by anyone else that I can think of, happy to have him. Good to see the progress Clydebank are making. 

Strain isn't everyone's cup of tea but he has worked wonders at our club, both on and off the field, and I think he is integral to our ambitions as a club.

And his mental behaviour on the sidelines only adds to the entertainment value

Strain isn't everyone's cup of tea but he has worked wonders at our club, both on and off the field, and I think he is integral to our ambitions as a club.

And his mental behaviour on the sidelines only adds to the entertainment value
Strain is just screamer n shouter no instruction comes from the dugout when young players require it he only sees faults with no instruction to help a young squad ...

1 hour ago, Crfc1990 said:

Strain is just screamer n shouter no instruction comes from the dugout when young players require it he only sees faults with no instruction to help a young squad ...

He definitely screams and shouts, there is no doubt about that. However you can't argue with 2 promotions, regional cup success, continuous commitment to developing a youth team from toddlers to under 19 level who now find themselves in the Scottish Cup Final, managing to keep us in the WOS Premier in a season where so many teams will be relegated, and so on.

He is an angry fella but has done our club well, in my opinion.

Edited by BornOffside

1 hour ago, BornOffside said:

He definitely screams and shouts, there is no doubt about that. However you can't argue with 2 promotions, regional cup success, continuous commitment to developing a youth team from toddlers to under 19 level who now find themselves in the Scottish Cup Final, managing to keep us in the WOS Premier in a season when so many teams will be relegated, and so on.

He is an angry fella but has done our club well, in my opinion.

Agreed. If Chris has a fault, it's perhaps his aggression towards players that he perceives don't care as much about the cause as he does. Other than that he is doing a good job for the club and is integral to the ambitions of the club going forward.