Kilwinning Rangers 23/24

1 hour ago, Gazmcl said:

Sorry to hear this mate. We were slightly short staffed on Saturday due to holidays and illness and it was absolutely mobbed; so not sure if this impacted your food. Hopefully when your down next time we can make it up to you. 

I'll need to try the pies at troon haven't had the chance but their new food fan is fantastic. 

I think i built myself up for a massive fall. Ive been off the drink plus i had ma boy with me so i was looking forward 2 this sausage and haggis toastie. In my head it was gonnie be the best thing ever n i was let down. Just aswell we won or i wouldve got angry n turned in into the hulk lol. 

Mon the papers

Talbot 3 Buffs 1

Talbot scored from a header off a cracking corner delivery just before HT. Buffs started the second half well but found themselves 2 down with a well taken goal on the break. Again Buffs dominated possession playing well, but Talbot being Talbot broke at pace again, catching Buffs out and scored from a fine lob to make it 3. Buffs got a late consolidation from Gavin Millar who was probably MOM. 

A bizarre game where Buffs played well, probably shading possession, but Talbot doing what they do securing a fine result on the way to a likely title win. 

Special mention to Adam Caldwell who put in a great performance, improving week on week in a poor run of form for the Buffs. His partnership down the left hand side with Millar could prove fruitful. 

Pollok up next on Saturday. Never easy in this league. 

2 hours ago, energyzone said:

The team were superb today, that was 2-0 but really should have been 6 or 7.

Pollok were really poor though. Not what I expected at all.

It was a makeshift Lok line up but regardless that was our poorest performance of the season and we deserved nothing out of that.The defence and keeper were all over the place and Kilwinning deservedly took the points.If they had been able to finish better that would have been a bigger margin of defeat as you say.

I wasn't at the game yesterday, perhaps I should stay away more often 😂

Whilst our recent results have been poor, the standard of performance, attitude and effort have generally been very good. 

Here's the post match interview with Chris and Thomas Collins. Both speak very well about the team, the club and the fans. KRTV is a great asset to the club, great work by Ben Grant. 

Greenock up next on Wednesday 

Tremendous performance from Thomas Collins yesterday. Constantly made something out of nothing and battered the Pollok defence despite giving away about a foot in height to the central defenders. Credit also to Davy Ramsay who had maybe his best game of the season and won the penalty just by being persistent. It was a scrappy game on a hard surface but Buffs wanted it more.

10 hours ago, funky monkey said:

I wasn't at the game yesterday, perhaps I should stay away more often 😂

Whilst our recent results have been poor, the standard of performance, attitude and effort have generally been very good. 

Here's the post match interview with Chris and Thomas Collins. Both speak very well about the team, the club and the fans. KRTV is a great asset to the club, great work by Ben Grant. 

Greenock up next on Wednesday 

Appreciate the comments Funky!

Wouldn’t be able to do it without Garry, David and Lauren though! Very fortunate to have a good team around me. 

Looking forward to next season to step things up and making it even better!

28 minutes ago, ibenji said:

Appreciate the comments Funky!

Wouldn’t be able to do it without Garry, David and Lauren though! Very fortunate to have a good team around me. 

Looking forward to next season to step things up and making it even better!

Why thanks! 

On 19/03/2022 at 19:09, Lokloyal said:

It was a makeshift Lok line up but regardless that was our poorest performance of the season and we deserved nothing out of that.The defence and keeper were all over the place and Kilwinning deservedly took the points.If they had been able to finish better that would have been a bigger margin of defeat as you say.

A makeshift line up? Iirc there was only one change from the Kilbirnie game and maybe one from the uni game. Have use been missing players from a while? That aside I'd agree if the finishing has been on form with the start of the season it could've been even more comprehensive. 

1 hour ago, Gazmcl said:

A makeshift line up? Iirc there was only one change from the Kilbirnie game and maybe one from the uni game. Have use been missing players from a while? That aside I'd agree if the finishing has been on form with the start of the season it could've been even more comprehensive. 

No recognised Left back with Sideserf and McKenzie out and no outstanding Ryan McGregor the biggest losses. Fraser out as well. 

I’d say 7/11 that started would be part of our strongest line up. Still pish though, Buffs deserved the win. 

1 hour ago, Gazmcl said:

Yes McKenzie McGregor and Sideserf form the basis of our back line and all were out.We have struggled without them and Fraser in midfield.

Yes against a better front line we would have been punished more with the chances created.We were poor at the back.

Regardless it has been a marathon in this league and to have gone six months without a defeat in itself was superb.

4 hours ago, Lokloyal said:

Yes McKenzie McGregor and Sideserf form the basis of our back line and all were out.We have struggled without them and Fraser in midfield.

Yes against a better front line we would have been punished more with the chances created.We were poor at the back.

Regardless it has been a marathon in this league and to have gone six months without a defeat in itself was superb.

Imo from the football I've seen played Pollock up until very recently have been the best team by a country mile. I genuinely thought they would hold on for the title. The league took a real turn from the bottom up which I doubt many expected. 

Greenock 0 Kilwinning 1

On a perfect night for football, this one was settled by a good move ending in Gavin Millar slotting the ball under the keeper during the first half. 

Buffs played within themselves, containing a very industrious Greenock side and limiting chances. Glenafton or East Kilbride await in the next round of the West. 

The game was notable for young goalkeeper Harry Brouns debut on loan from Kilmarnock. 

In front of a modest crowd, the referee had to consult both managers to allow the game to finish as several lights including some floodlights tripped out with 15 minutes to go. 

As an aside, there's a skybound searchlight on the hill above the ground on the hospital side. Does anybody know what this is for? 

A trip to Cumbernauld up next. 

IMG-20220323-WA0000.jpeg

Edited by funky monkey

• 2 weeks later...

Cumbernauld United 3 Kilwinning Rangers 2

Conditions overhead were good for this one, although the much maligned pitch was bumpy underfoot. 

A decent crowd on the terracing enjoying the hospitality of the club bar. 

The game started at a leisurely pace, both teams sussing each other out. First goal to Cumbernauld from a fine set piece header. Buffs stepped it up and equalised when Collins got between the last defender and the keeper to lift the ball into the net. Both teams trying to play passing football, Cumbernauld went in front again with a neatly taken overhead kick, Buffs young loanee keeper Broun taken by surprise. Again Buffs pressed and Hanvey equalised with a daisy cutter from an angle just inside the box. 2 2 at half time. 

The second half was a much more combatative affair with much of the play in the air. With 10 to go Cumbernauld got the winner, the striker looking marginally offside passing the ball around the keeper and into the net. 

A disappointing defeat for us and evidence of an inconsistent season. Good luck to Cumbernauld who have an outside chance of avoiding relegation. 

Blantyre up next Saturday. 

A fair summing up FM. I think our inconsistency is due to a lack of any real strength in depth. Our best 11 can give anybody a game - Pollok game proved that - but the quality drops of severely beyond that 11. Our bench most weeks consists of players carrying knocks, unproven youngsters and guys who are miles off the pace at this level. Tommy Sloan regularly picks up 3 points by bringing on real quality second half - and if we want to compete for the league we need a squad of 20 top level players not a dozen.

6 hours ago, Park the Buffs said:

A fair summing up FM. I think our inconsistency is due to a lack of any real strength in depth. Our best 11 can give anybody a game - Pollok game proved that - but the quality drops of severely beyond that 11. Our bench most weeks consists of players carrying knocks, unproven youngsters and guys who are miles off the pace at this level. Tommy Sloan regularly picks up 3 points by bringing on real quality second half - and if we want to compete for the league we need a squad of 20 top level players not a dozen.

A good observation and I agree. We've lost quality this season for a variety of reasons, Kemp, Monti, Syme, Anderson, Smith to name a few. Also missing on Saturday McGowan, Stuart and McColm. Difficult to retain any level of consistency looking at that list of players. 

We should increasingly expect to see the pathway producing some talent though as our young teams continually enjoy a level of success. 

My understanding is that the playing side of the club will improve improve in the future as we move from investing off the park to on the park once all infrastructure is in place, so the future is bright. Probably just need yo be patient next season and then after that I'm sure we'll see improvements on the park. As it is, despite our inconsistencies, Chris has the players trying to play the game the right way and we are generally entertaining to watch. 

Take your point on Talbot though, Sloan has the benefit of a strong squad and uses it well as the strategy against Pollok at the weekend highlighted, bringing Boylan, Wilson and Shankland off the bench.