The Warriors v The Binos

Not the greatest display from us, but over the last couple of seasons, these are games we would have drawn or lost, so was delighted to get the win. 

Thought we defended really well for the most part, particularly near the end when Stenny were throwing everything at us. 

Referee was a bawbag (welcome back to Scottish football), and can understand Mackin's frustration at the end when the ref gave a corner when it was a clear goal kick. Stupid red card, however, he's an experienced player, should know better. 

Best players on the day for us were McNiff, McGregor (colossus), Leitch, and Grant when he came on. 

Overall, a great three points to start the season. If Stenny fans are feeling down about the result, console yourselves that you're not Raith Rovers fans tonight...

Long time admirer and reader of P&B and with the return of being able to get to the football I decided to join and share my thoughts.  Hopefully there’s more to be positive about in future weeks.

Firstly, I think it’s safe to say that was one of the worst refereeing performances I have ever witnessed.  Mackins red appeared justified because of his reaction, but the decision to let play on moments earlier baffled me.  It looked a certain foul on the big man, and I’ve also no idea how we got a corner immediately afterwards too.

But less on what the Warriors can’t control and more on what they can control …

Today was very disappointing and I’m quite worried about the season ahead.  Whilst we competed with Stirling for the majority of the match there was very little to get excited about.  We created very little and I cannot remember Currie really being tested.

Too many times we lost possession despite being unchallenged, be it a poor pass or getting the ball stuck under out feet.  We passed up a couple of good chances too, in particular when James Lyon tried to cut in on his left rather than shoot.  We lacked any real aggression today and were soft in the tackle, particularly in wide areas.

We have a good core between Crichton/Jamieson and Forbes/Wedderburn but there isn’t much more to convince me we won’t struggle.

I’m also certain that Jamie Mills is the worst left back I’ve seen at the Warriors.  It may be the first league game of the season but I’m happy to nail my colours to the mast.  He looks completely out his depth.  He has no positional sense, has no desire to get on the ball and hides from any sort responsibility.

I’m hopeful our strategic partnership with Hibs can see us secure a couple of quality additions but with 20 new signings already through the door I don’t think we can expect many new faces.

I think it’s going to be a long season.

A draw would have been fair but when you consider Moore hit the post and both McNiff and Carrick missed glorious chances in the First Half, we probably edged it slightly.

Stenhousemuir reminded me a lot of ourselves last season, they looked dogged Defensively with Jamieson being immense, but they really lacked that cutting edge in getting the ball to Orr and Thomson in dangerous positions. That may have been down to our back line, credit where it was due because McGregor, Banner, McGeachie and McNiff were all immense at the back and Cummins added further steel when he came on and really put his body on the line.

Going forward, maybe not as impressive as we were in the League Cup ties, however there were still moments of real quality, the goal being the prime example of that. The way Flannigan, Leitch and Carrick link up at times, belongs at a higher level, even if the final ball maybe isn’t quite right. When Grant was brought on, he also added to that, and took the Midfield presence to another level, although I mean no disrespect to Laird when I say that.

A pleasing start to the season, delightful, now onto Kelty and it’s great to be back at the fitbaw!!

I’m also certain that Jamie Mills is the worst left back I’ve seen at the Warriors.  It may be the first league game of the season but I’m happy to nail my colours to the mast.  He looks completely out his depth.  He has no positional sense, has no desire to get on the ball and hides from any sort responsibility

What we saw today was what we saw during his brief stay at Forthbank. When you signed him, I posted on here that for your sake I hoped he had developed during his time at BSC Glasgow but on today’s showing, he’s exactly the same player who wasn’t good enough to get a regular start in a God awful Stirling side that found itself bottom of the league by Christmas and underwent a huge overhaul in January to finish 7th in the table, by memory.

Thought that we looked dangerous in the first half with Lyon and Christie linking really well down the right. We should have been ahead in the first half with the other Lyon passing up a great chance when clean through. Second half we just stopped playing any football.

I can’t actually remember either keeper having a shot to save of note, so I suppose a draw would have been a fair result, but we defended the goal so badly, so in some respects got what we deserved. Mills and Wedderburn had both been booked and looked scared to go anywhere near Flanagan and then Jamieson just waved him by as he slalomed into the box. Terrible defending.

Felt it was two decent sides who should be challenging at the top end this season.

2 hours ago, StewartyMac said:

Jamie Mills was absolutely terrible for us. Came from Rangers I think. Whatever possessed a top club to think he had anything resembling footballing ability is beyond me. 

But surely he would have developed into a 100 cap Scottish international legend if only the Rangers Colts had been allowed to play against men in League 2.... 

I can only echo a lot of the comments posted above. I thought it was an even contest, with both sides creating some decent openings, right up until the moment Stirling Albion scored. From that point on, Stenhousemuir showed little ingenuity or creativity and only really threatened at the death. It was a disappointing way to kick off the season.

Martin McNiff's goal was a dreadful one to give away. Nathan Flanagan slalomed his way into the box, under no pressure whatsoever from an opposition player, and squared it to his team-mate for a simple finish. Absolutely appalling. Jamie Mills was especially poor at left-back and even although it's early days, I've yet to see anything from him to suggest he can compete in League 2. He doesn't seem to offer much going forward or the going the other way and Flanagan, an average lower-league winger, had him on toast throughout.

Weirdly, I think we suffered when we withdrew Tam Orr for Euan O'Reilly. Robert Thomson was really making inroads on the left and moving him into the middle and bringing Euan O'Reilly on and playing him on the wing just didn't work. Thomson was no longer effective as an orthodox centre-forward and O'Reilly was rubbish, constantly giving the ball away or running into cul-de-sacs. I do really like Thomson and think he'll be an important player this season.

Other than the big forward, everyone in maroon was so-so. Darren Christie linked up well with Ross Lyon at times but didn't do enough to frighten McNiff and get crosses in from the right; Ross Forbes offered so much from set-pieces but not much beyond it; Nat Wedderburn has the turning circle of an oil tanker; Nicky Jamieson put in some good tackles but was also culpable at the goal; and James Lyon really should have scored just before the interval.

Stirling Albion looked quite good - Flanagan was the man of the match, Kyle Banner kept Orr quiet and Ray Grant knitted things together well when he came on midway through the second half. I expect them to finish in the top four this season.

There is plenty for Stephen Swift to ponder after today. I look forward to next week's game against Albion Rovers.

30 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

and Flanagan, an average lower-league winger, had him on toast throughout.

Most wingers will have Mills on toast. I’m surprised he is playing at this level again - completely out his depth. Flanagan has been brilliant for us so far. A lot of our play goes through him. I’ll take this average winger every day of the week. Great to get the 3 points. Felt like we controlled things more when Grant came on. The manager did well with his substitutions. Silly sending off but an opportunity for someone else to stake their claim. Stenny looked ok in spells. Felt like you passed the ball around well when under pressure and had some decent opportunities. You’ll definitely improve as the season progresses. 

10 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Nathan Flanagan slalomed his way into the box, under no pressure whatsoever from an opposition player, and squared it to his team-mate for a simple finish.

It was Marc Laird who 'slalomed' into the box and crossed it for the goal. 

10 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Flanagan was the man of the match

Was his worst performance so far for us, although still decent. 

It really had the feeling of first goal the winner yesterday. It looked like hapless defending on our part but credit to McNiff for getting in the area and slotting it home it's not exactly what his game is all about.

McNiff should have been targeted, although a solid operator, he's not a full back and anyone with pace should be roasting him. Our opponents clearly noticed our own weakness at left back and fed Flanagan as much as possible who made Mills look stupid time and again. Flanagan was head and shoulders above anything on the park in an attacking sense for either side. I don't remember him at all from Annan but Stirling have got themselves a proper player on their hands.

It's a case of what might have been for us I feel. Stirling can point to a few good chances themselves, but James Lyon being clean through on goal on his good foot with the whole goal to aim at, to then come inside and fall about was the biggest chance of the game really. That was criminal. We didn't have enough of those moments thereafter. I would say a draw would have been fair over the course, neither keeper had a save to make, but if you are going to have moments of madness in defence like we had for the goal then you can really have no complaints.

Crighton and Jamieson were solid for us and that will be a constant base to build on this season. We need a lot more from Forbes and James Lyon (going both ways) in this system if we are going to justify playing both in the starting line up. Thomson carried the battle himself I thought in an attacking sense and I think yesterday showed we have to get a shape that's going to allow him playing centrally. He can do good things from the wing but he can do the proper damage between the posts.

All in all pretty disapointing for us but certainly not the end of the world as Stirling should really be a top four side this season. 

Edited by Neilly

The goal we lost was a shocker, allowed to run free and no tackle.  Jamieson should have a least tackled the man although I think he may have thought that any challenge would have seen the Albion player go down. At times I think they thought they were Harry Kane the way they were going down!!!!!!.  James Lyon should have given us the lead, he really should have fired the shot off when he got the chance.

We still have a few issues we need to address. Clearing our lines at times is one of them, a left back is another.  Wedderburn's dallying about nearly cost us dear. As yet I have still to see us put a team under sustained pressure.

Next week will be an interesting one.

Edited by Moonglum25

19 hours ago, Ray Vaughn said:

Stenny’s clown of a manager described the goal as a “quarter chance”

Better watch he doesn’t return to Lowland league football with Stenny.

Is one of the requirements for a manager's coaching badge not the ability simultaneously to say nothing while talking sh*te?