Ross County vs St Johnstone - 31/07/21

Disappointed not to win and it's hard on today evidence to suggest that County are going to do anything but battle relegation this season. Kane and May being fit - I'm giving the benefit of the doubt that's why they didn't come on earlier - should improve things but clearly a couple of signings in the forward areas needed.

Better side though and it's a reflection of where we are that we're looking at a point away in disappointment.

It kind of felt like I was watching a rerun of a match from the first few months of last season. It's getting old now. We must learn our lesson and bring in attacking reinforcements ASAP. Hendry shouldn't have started and I doubt he'll start again. Overall, I'm feeling frustrated.  It has confirmed beyond all doubt what we knew all along. The key to beating Galatasaray ( if there's any chance at all) is to limit their opportunities and aim for nothing more damaging than a one-goal defeat in the away leg.

With County sitting so deep why didn't we exploit the physical difference between Rooney and Cook?

Thought we did alright. Without creating enough.

O'Halloran minging in the first half. Better in the 2nd but continues to run the ball into dead ends and crowded spaces. Needs to be better. 

Hendry, not a great game but needs to want it more. Few small opportunities to bundle the ball home. 

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

16 minutes ago, forkboy said:

That's a good sign of a community club doncha know?

If you have a complaint, email the bloke who seems to do everything for minimum wage and 20 hours per week. 

13 minutes ago, Sensible Soccer🏴 said:

There was a restricted attendance today, wasn't there everywhere? I'm sure I read that there was a global pandemic 🤦

Then why give Saints fans tickets if County fans were missing out? 

There was massive spaces in areas of the home end. Especially behind the goal.

Be lucky if there was 1200 county fans there.

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

Just now, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

There was massive spaces in areas of the home end. 

What’s football without away fans…

9 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

Crowd of 1,990 with 300 away fans, apparently.

13 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

We're nice like that. 

Am I being wooshed 😆 Have you seriously not heard about the current restrictions?

The only club I heard that refused any away fans for this weekends opening fixtures, were Killie but there could be others.

Crowd of 1,990 with 300 away fans, apparently.

My assumption would be that they were just going to let season ticket holders in with the initial allocation, and then when they found out they could have more they put them on general sale for the Jailend, hence why it probably looked/was so empty.

1 minute ago, Comrie said:

Didn't go to the game but 0-0 is a decent point against a team who'll be aiming for a top six finish.

Yeah, we're clearly several players down and lacking in match sharpness. Having Paton & RCC away at the Gold Cup (although great) also isn't good for our small squad too. 

A clean sheet is massive, and a point not too bad from what was a competitive yet uneventful match.

It was good to be back at a game in Dingwall, hopefully we'll be allowed more fans in soon.

4 minutes ago, Sensible Soccer🏴 said:

We're nice like that. 

Am I being wooshed 😆 Have you seriously not heard about the current restrictions?

The only club I heard that refused any away fans for this weekends opening fixtures, were Killie but there could be others.

Of course I'm aware. Doesn't change the fact the stand behind the goal was about 70% empty. There was enough space for another thousand folk and still have about 10 metres between each County fan.

There was also no imposed social distancing + the current rules allow groups of up to 15 to gather together anyway.

Poor game of football brightened up by a sensational penalty miss.  I can understand a penalty taker hitting the post or having a shot saved by a keeper, but to hit it straight over the bar was hilarious. Galatasaray will be sleeping easy tonight.

3 minutes ago, silver said:

Galatasaray will be sleeping easy tonight.

You say that as if they'd have been terrified if we'd beaten a side containing Coll Donaldson and Jordan White.

Thought County were extremely unspectacular yet solid at the same time. Whilst Saints definitely looked the the more likely, I can’t actually remember them getting in behind us apart from Spittals booking. I think there’s gonna be a lot of these types of games for us this season; not pretty but just trying to grind out points and clean sheets. I’d far rather that than pretty football but conceding goals at will. We will, however, continue to concede penalties as that is so far into our DNA that you can’t get it out.

Saints looked solid and to be fair looked like they probably could’ve turned it up a gear at times. Obviously lacking a natural finisher but that’s obviously no secret and once they can get one of those in they’ll probably hurt most sides above them of which I doubt there’ll be many.

7 minutes ago, Matty-RCFC said:

Saints looked solid and to be fair looked like they probably could’ve turned it up a gear at times. 

TBF we looked like that a lot last season but never did.

If Vertainen + the other forward we're after turn up and live up to their billing, then we'll look a completely different side in attack. Just now we create almost nothing down the right or from the middle, beyond hopeful launches into the box. Feels like teams can just camp in and block off Wotherspoon, and we don't have any other genuine threat, bar O'Halloran whos success rate is way down in terms of what comes after one of his runs.

It'll either be a sensational season where we absolutely decimate sides, or the new attackers will flop and we'll have a long miserable season with a complete lack of goals.

4 hours ago, silver said:

Poor game of football brightened up by a sensational penalty miss.  I can understand a penalty taker hitting the post or having a shot saved by a keeper, but to hit it straight over the bar was hilarious. Galatasaray will be sleeping easy tonight.

The tie against Gala is a free hit. Plenty of sides in the ECL playoff draw that Saints have a decent shot against. Turkish teams have really poor away records in Europe too. All about minimising their chances in Istanbul.