Ross County vs St Johnstone - 31/07/21

I'd have liked to see Saints look a bit more fluid going forward during pre-season and hope we aren't a couple of friendlies short going into this. 

In our three most testing friendlies, we've created very little (going by report from Aberdeen game) and only scored against Preston through a mistake. 

I know they are working away and will bring in attacking players but we are light there are the moment. 

Wotherspoon is nailed on to start, quite rightly, but not much to be enthused about after that: the manager admits Kane is short of minutes, May has missed the last two games and Hendry hasn't exactly grabbed his opportunity. For me, there are still question marks over O'Halloran too, he's not a system footballer. 

Could be up to the defence to perform to their high standards for the first few weeks of the season. 

16 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Be interesting to see who's used to combat Murray Davidson, if he plays. Can run riot if theres nobody to match him and Draper was just about one of the last I can think of who could.

But that was about all he could do, match up physically, he should have moved back to centre half (if we'd used a back 3 last year but we didn't). Draper was honking at keeping possession. No sooner had he won the ball back, he'd then misplace a forward pass leaving us very venerable to the counter. 

It appears that we're going to go with a 352/343 this season, with Tillson the holding midfielder. That's much better on a defensive point of view for County, as Tillson although not as big as Draper, is clearly far more mobile and allows the team to keep the ball and build attacks. 

Although much has (quite rightly) been said about County having the same defenders that conceded so much last season, the change to a back 3 will hopefully mean more cover, to mitigate the one on one situations our center halves were getting caught in. Not having Iain Vigurs in the midfield will aid the defence massively too imo. Vigurs would blatantly refuse to track, or tackle any opposition midfielder.

Where County decide to play Spittal will be pivotal to our attack, he's been a revelation since his return from loan in January. He's now signed a new contract and been given the no.7 jersey and it looks like he's really enjoying the responsibility.  From the couple of warm up games we've had, he seems to be linking up well with Callaghan. 

Jordan White has looked dangerous in these warm up games too so there's  something to cling a bit of hope on to for County fans.

St Johnstone should win this, they're an established, good team but I'll predict a draw, 1-1 🤞

1 hour ago, The Real Saints said:

We’re ready. We’ve been ready since the Preston match. It’ll take average Scottish teams like Ross County at least another month before they look as ready and sharp as we did at that point. 2-0 away win.

Amazing big man energy from something you can fit in your pocket. Keep up the brilliant work my man.

8 minutes ago, Radford said:

Are every opposition team just going to match us up this season?

Simon Grayson admitted even Fleetwood did it in a bloody friendly.

Could be a dull season.

Not if we add guile and ability to our squad it won't. 

If we were to play Kane and Hendry week in week out there would be a queue up Kinnoull Hill.

2 minutes ago, Honest Saints Fan said:

Taking my daughter to her first game tomorrow. All her friends are Ross County fans. She will never be one! 

That's actually heartening that (nearly) all the kids support the local outfit.

Unless you simply don't allow your daughter to associate with OF fans, which is equally admirable.

Just now, Ranaldo Bairn said:

That's actually heartening that (nearly) all the kids support the local outfit.

Unless you simply don't allow your daughter to associate with OF fans, which is equally admirable.

🤣

I think there is one Rangers fan in her class. The rest seem to be County! It's fantastic to see all the children in their County tops around Dingwall. 

1 hour ago, Sensible Soccer🏴 said:

That feeling of excitement, with a  mixture of optimism and a little hit of trepidation on the morning of the first game of the season.

Hopefully a comfortable home win for the County but knowing how we never seem to do things the easy way I predict a 2-2 draw.

Sensible Soccer was amazing. Wish it would get a reboot.

15 hours ago, Honest Saints Fan said:

🤣

I think there is one Rangers fan in her class. The rest seem to be County! It's fantastic to see all the children in their County tops around Dingwall. 

Some of the boys in Nuala's class told her Ross County wasn't a real team........they won't make that mistake again!