Jump to content

Astro parks - top flight


Recommended Posts

19 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Like I said earlier the standard has got much better for grass pitches the past few years imo in the top level, there will still be bare areas around the goal mouth at times but generally I think it has improved.

 

celtic.jpeg

ibrox.jpg

tynecastle.jpg

easter road.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, HunterAFC said:

some guidelines as to what's acceptable at what level that would be fine. But every artificial surface seems to play completely differently

Whereas grass pitches...?

Different sizes, slopes, blade cut lengths, different watering practices pre-kickoff, and they get into all manner of different states as the season wears-on.

3G pitches are more consistent, more closely regulated and regularly inspected than grass.

Edited by HibeeJibee
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Cptn Hooch said:

 

celtic.jpeg

ibrox.jpg

tynecastle.jpg

easter road.jpg

Other than the **** pitch I dont think the rest even look that bad? I was waiting for somebody to pull some pics but was actually expecting worse than that. Pretty sure the Hearts one was a f**k up setting up for that ‘Big noise’ concert as well. Tbh Im not that heavily invested in this argument to care as much as others defending it. Its just a personal preference, one day synthetic (once improved) will almost certainly be the way forward just not right now for me at the top Scottish level.

Edited by gannonball
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, gannonball said:

Personally I would like to see them gone from the top league. Some seem a lot worse than others though like at Almondvale*. I Think we still have a hybrid surface which seems to be the way forward. It just screams tinpot for our top league, maintenance of grass pitches seem to be much better now too compared to years gone by as well, Motherwell being a stellar example for improvement.

I would look to ban it (fully synthetic) with 2 seasons notice to allow plenty planning for removal etc.

Explain hybrid, what proportion is grass and what is synthetic?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Other than the **** pitch I dont think the rest even look that bad? I was waiting for somebody to pull some pics but was actually expecting worse than that. Pretty sure the Hearts one was a f**k up setting up for that ‘Big noise’ concert as well. Tbh Im not that heavily invested in this argument to care as much as others defending it. Its just a personal preference, one day synthetic will almost certainly be the way forward just not right now for me at the top Scottish level.

The article that the picture of Celtic's pitch is from has Scott Brown complaining over the state of it, the rangers one is from when the game against Livi was postponed, the hearts one may have been due to an event* and the easter road pitch was being complained about by Steven Gerrard in an article. There are plenty more instances where  I've seen on the highlights some of the pitches looking in a sorry state but can't find pictures. 

case-study-thumbnail-livingston-fc.jpg

Edited by Cptn Hooch
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Explain hybrid, what proportion is grass and what is synthetic?

Admittedly I have googled this but 5-15% which is actually a bit less than I expected tbh

Edited by gannonball
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Sergeant Wilson said:

I knew but wondered if he did.

A hybrid pitch is indistinguishable from natural grass to an observer.

Ah, apologies for deactivating your trap.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, gannonball said:

Admittedly I have googled this but 5-15% which is actually less than I expected tbh

See above.

Just now, Ludo*1 said:

Ah, apologies for deactivating your trap.

No bother.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I knew but wondered if he did.

A hybrid pitch is indistinguishable from natural grass to an observer.

Im aware of that as CP has had since Rodgers second season I think and you wouldnt know to look at it for sure.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, HunterAFC said:

But every artificial surface seems to play completely differently which doesn't make sense given its an engineered surface.

When you get a grass pitch in November and it's rained all day will cut up badly with divots, not to mention arseholes doing knee slides into the corner flag after scoring.

That'll make a grass pitch play 'differently'

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Grass pitches will be in some state this season. We had about 3 weeks recovery time for our pitch at Dens and most clubs only had a couple of weeks longer. That's the way of modern football these days, but it strengthens the plastic pitch case.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, UAE1929 said:

Do Livingston rent the pitch out for additional income? 

 

I don't think we get the income as the stadium is owned by the council, so it probably goes to the West Lothian Youth Foundation who technically own the pitch

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Im aware of that as CP has had since Rodgers second season I think and you wouldnt know to look at it for sure.

That was my point. In your post you grouped hybrid with artificial which in practice wouldn't be right.

I also understood Livingston to be fully synthetic.

I'm not that bothered either way, but as time goes on they will become more accepted. Younger players could now have played more on astro than grass.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Cptn Hooch said:

The article that the picture of Celtic's pitch is from has Scott Brown complaining over the state of it, the rangers one is from when the game against Livi was postponed, the hearts one may have been due to an event* and the easter road pitch was being complained about by Steven Gerrard in an article. There are plenty more instances where  I've seen on the highlights some of the pitches looking in a sorry state but can't find pictures. 

case-study-thumbnail-livingston-fc.jpg

Green, but repeatedly unusable

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, coprolite said:

Green, but repeatedly unusable

Assuming you're referring to the postponed games v Aberdeen. If we had a grass pitch it would have been the same outcome...and possibly many more games called off

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Cptn Hooch said:

Assuming you're referring to the postponed games v Aberdeen. If we had a grass pitch it would have been the same outcome...and possibly many more games called off

Very possibly.  I don't dislike artificial pitches tbh, but i don't have to play on them for a living.  I'm still annoyed at the call offs and will continue to blame Livi and your shitey plastic pitch without any tenable grounds to do so. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...