Astro parks - top flight

11 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Very possibly.  I don't dislike artificial pitches tbh, but i don't have to play on them for a living.  I'm still annoyed at the call offs and will continue to blame Livi and your shitey plastic pitch without any tenable grounds to do so. 

My opinion on these pitches will be determined by tomorrows result at the Swedish Spaghettihad.

sdfsdfddd.jpg.e10decb5c743f2390d1371b769bb3462.jpg

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Clubs should do whatevers best for them.

I'd rather see fans pushing for a larger TV deal/fairer money distribution than crying every year because, twice a season, they've to watch their side lose on plastic.

Are these two things mutually exclusive?

Noting posters saying there isn't evidence that injuries increase on astro pitches, that may be true. However it's not too difficult to find cancer references in medical papers when discussing artificial turf.

Presently it appears to be an unresolved debate, with, on the one side, manufacturers and outlets dealing with the astro surfaces stating there is no danger from their use, while medical authorities warn of the possibility of the rubber granules used to replicate the reaction of natural grass being potentially carcinogenic. 

Here's a link to a Press Reader article https://www.pressreader.com/uk/daily-mail/20160405/282415578432299 which outlines latent risks (to avoid linking directly to the Daily Mail).

And another, where a senior ex NHS manager blames artificial surfaces for his son's death: https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/health/3g-astroturf-cancer-risk-nhs-2652514

45 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Noting posters saying there isn't evidence that injuries increase on astro pitches, that may be true. However it's not too difficult to find cancer references in medical papers when discussing artificial turf.

Presently it appears to be an unresolved debate, with, on the one side, manufacturers and outlets dealing with the astro surfaces stating there is no danger from their use, while medical authorities warn of the possibility of the rubber granules used to replicate the reaction of natural grass being potentially carcinogenic. 

Here's a link to a Press Reader article https://www.pressreader.com/uk/daily-mail/20160405/282415578432299 which outlines latent risks (to avoid linking directly to the Daily Mail).

And another, where a senior ex NHS manager blames artificial surfaces for his son's death: https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/health/3g-astroturf-cancer-risk-nhs-2652514

There's a "possibility" of hot beverages being carcinogenic let's ban bovril at the fitba

44 minutes ago, Cptn Hooch said:

There's a "possibility" of hot beverages being carcinogenic let's ban bovril at the fitba

I'm not on the safe or unsafe side, simply showing there are medical arguments against. 'Possibility' was my interpretation, as I've no medical qualifications. Perhaps I should have said there is 'strong evidence', but I'm not taking sides.

3 hours ago, gannonball said:

My point is that the material could be used elsewhere on land they own/rent.

How much land, and how many pitches, do you think the clubs who are considering artificial pitches have?  Rangers/Celtic/Hibs/Hearts/Aberdeen have grass pitches at their grounds and separate training complexes with multiple pitches - I'm not sure if any other clubs fall into this category but if so it can't be many.  For a smaller club with an artificial surface, all their teams can train on the same pitch they play on and also possibly get extra income, all from their one pitch.  It just makes sense for the majority of clubs.  

On 28/07/2021 at 16:25, Ludo*1 said:

Not that any Scottish club including the OF have money for that sort of thing, but Tottenham have implemented the Bullseye stage idea and it looks absolute class:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmeljNpIV1k

Tottenham have a ban on embedding videos it seems so just the link will have to do.

On 28/07/2021 at 20:34, resk said:

How much land, and how many pitches, do you think the clubs who are considering artificial pitches have?  Rangers/Celtic/Hibs/Hearts/Aberdeen have grass pitches at their grounds and separate training complexes with multiple pitches - I'm not sure if any other clubs fall into this category but if so it can't be many.  For a smaller club with an artificial surface, all their teams can train on the same pitch they play on and also possibly get extra income, all from their one pitch.  It just makes sense for the majority of clubs.  

Tbf St Johnstone have, at least, 2 grass pitches plus an astro pitch at McDiarmid. 

4 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Tbf St Johnstone have, at least, 2 grass pitches plus an astro pitch at McDiarmid. 

Fair enough - I forgot about our trophy-hogging Perthshire overlords.