Scam Calls

like many of you,  I receive frequent scam calls from a variety of sources. I am on the Telephone Preference list which is totally useless in filtering such calls.  Lately however I am receiving five or more calls a day from  "my Internet Service provider" who in a recorded message alleges illegal activity and  asks me to press 1 to speak to an executive to stop me from being cut off from the internet  (I have had 5 such calls already this morning ). I put a block on each and every call but the b*****ds don't stop. 

Any suggestions from the P & B  IT experts  for putting a stop to these persistent  criminal calls would be more than welcome.

6 minutes ago, Blue Brazil Forever said:

like many of you,  I receive frequent scam calls from a variety of sources. I am on the Telephone Preference list which is totally useless in filtering such calls.  Lately however I am receiving five or more calls a day from  "my Internet Service provider" who in a recorded message alleges illegal activity and  asks me to press 1 to speak to an executive to stop me from being cut off from the internet  (I have had 5 such calls already this morning ). I put a block on each and every call but the b*****ds don't stop. 

Any suggestions from the P & B  IT experts  for putting a stop to these persistent  criminal calls would be more than welcome.

I've tried to stop it by blocking any calls with the first few numbers of the bad guys, say all numbers starting 014786******, with limited success. If it gets really bad you could block all calls from unknown numbers, which is a bit extreme. I think there's a way of sending calls from unknown numbers to voicemail, so you can quickly decide whether to take the call or phone back somebody who you're happy to talk to.

https://amzn.to/3BM0Ebw

My parents have these, essentially when you ring through you have to say who you are etc, the phone then rings, they pick up, listen to the message and can allow it, deny it, or permanently block. They used to get 3/4 calls a day of utter shite, stopped that all together now (blocked my number). 

32 minutes ago, UAE1929 said:

https://amzn.to/3BM0Ebw

My parents have these, essentially when you ring through you have to say who you are etc, the phone then rings, they pick up, listen to the message and can allow it, deny it, or permanently block. They used to get 3/4 calls a day of utter shite, stopped that all together now (blocked my number). 

I think most phones do the same as that these days, you have to pay extra for call filtering rather than just blocking.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/problems/tackling-nuisance-calls-and-messages/phone-company-services-that-can-help-tackle-nuisance-calls

P.S. Missed the bit at the end..:lol:

Edited by welshbairn

19 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I think most phones do the same as that these days, you have to pay extra for call filtering rather than just blocking.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/problems/tackling-nuisance-calls-and-messages/phone-company-services-that-can-help-tackle-nuisance-calls

P.S. Missed the bit at the end..:lol:

I didn't realise that. Answers the OP question though, do that and it sorts it out!