Attendances information 2021/22

2 minutes ago, Man from the East said:

Interesting numbers Faceman;

The increase from the current average league attendance is very dramatic and is around the following number

Blackburn +240%

DUFC          +194%

LTHV           +56% 

NSFC          +93%

PAFC          +196%

Tynie          +63%

A very stunning increase for every club. 

The attraction of the Cup certainly draws in the fans. 

Obviously the novelty of playing in the Scottish has to be factored in for the new guys playing in the tournament, but its still a significant increase any way you look at it.

Well done Blackburn for such an increase - if even half these people could be retained - it would be incredible.

DUFC had an a very health 500+ in the ground, again, even retaining 25% would lift the normal gate by 100. 

It demonstrates the potential exists to increase gates.

The data faceman is collecting is allowing people - Committees/Authorities/ Sponsors to see the potential in the game. 

Happy days.

I'm just wondering what the effect of a live broadcast from Shielfield Park will be on tonights crowd. Hopefully the fans turnout in similar increases to the above. 

I do think that at the end of the day hard work and actually promoting games is the key to bringing fans in and match day experience is the way to keep them.

Dunbar for example despite all the stuff in pre-season have to be praised. The town knew there was a game on, a big Scottish Cup game. Posters everywhere. They were rewarded with 200 extra fans added from the previous round. Reminded me of Auchinleck Talbot the way they went about it. Credit where it is due. The test will be how many come back for Hillfield on Saturday.

I think there is a huge number of potential customers who still aren't aware of or attracted by their local clubs and a fair few clubs missing out on that income. 

Regarding tonight, 284 was the crowd the last time the teams played. 

Factors against an increase

Monday night (work in the morning) will put a few of the ground hoppers off.

£10 gate i think is £3 too high. (Lthv was £6 yesterday)

TV will take a few of the maybes away.

Form: Gretna have been struggling with many seeing this as a comfortable home win.

20 days since Berwicks last home game 

Factors for an increase:

Competition Scottish Cup 

Local promotion 

Berwick get a fair number of younger supporters

Easy to get to - good parking.

Biggest game for a long time.

Anything North of 350-400 would be a fair deal 

6 minutes ago, The Faceman said:

I do think that at the end of the day hard work and actually promoting games is the key to bringing fans in and match day experience is the way to keep them.

Dunbar for example despite all the stuff in pre-season have to be praised. The town knew there was a game on, a big Scottish Cup game. Posters everywhere. They were rewarded with 200 extra fans added from the previous round. Reminded me of Auchinleck Talbot the way they went about it. Credit where it is due. The test will be how many come back for Hillfield on Saturday.

I think there is a huge number of potential customers who still aren't aware of or attracted by their local clubs and a fair few clubs missing out on that income. 

Form: Gretna have been struggling with many seeing this as a comfortable home win.

Factors for an increase:

Competition Scottish Cup 

Local promotion 

Theres absolutely no denying that hard work is key. Without it, or even a half hearted attempt you're just wasting everyones time.

Match experience - agreed its a major factor.

Last week Haddington had several kids teams entertaining the crowd - so they reaped the benefit of mums dads and grandparents.

On Saturday, Dunbar had Pipers, the ground decorated, a great hospitality event  - which could have been even bigger but for a facility issue. Everyone inside the ground certainly knew there was a big event on. No doubt also helped by 100+ posters publicly displayed and then removed after match. The acid test is as you say is the return to normality on Saturday v Swifts. But sadly clubs simply struggle to put the organisation together for a few cup matches - the full 17 league games would be a challenge to promote at that level.

At yesterdays LTHV v EU it was hard to realise that anything special or different was taking part. It was run of the mill. Yes, I was surprised at only £6 admission, from what I observed of the cars in the car park,,,,,, it could easily be increased. I didn't notice you in the crowd - but did see one or two coaches!!

Berwick are certainly doing a bit of marketing and hospitality packages. Hope all their hard work pays off. I don't think there is any fat TV cheque heading their way. So its really down to what they can do on the night. Cant see more than a couple of dozen worthies making the long trek from Gretna  - as you say the TV only needs switched on. 

1 hour ago, Man from the East said:

Theres absolutely no denying that hard work is key. Without it, or even a half hearted attempt you're just wasting everyones time.

Match experience - agreed its a major factor.

Last week Haddington had several kids teams entertaining the crowd - so they reaped the benefit of mums dads and grandparents.

On Saturday, Dunbar had Pipers, the ground decorated, a great hospitality event  - which could have been even bigger but for a facility issue. Everyone inside the ground certainly knew there was a big event on. No doubt also helped by 100+ posters publicly displayed and then removed after match. The acid test is as you say is the return to normality on Saturday v Swifts. But sadly clubs simply struggle to put the organisation together for a few cup matches - the full 17 league games would be a challenge to promote at that level.

At yesterdays LTHV v EU it was hard to realise that anything special or different was taking part. It was run of the mill. Yes, I was surprised at only £6 admission, from what I observed of the cars in the car park,,,,,, it could easily be increased. I didn't notice you in the crowd - but did see one or two coaches!!

Berwick are certainly doing a bit of marketing and hospitality packages. Hope all their hard work pays off. I don't think there is any fat TV cheque heading their way. So its really down to what they can do on the night. Cant see more than a couple of dozen worthies making the long trek from Gretna  - as you say the TV only needs switched on. 

In terms of Berwick your absolutely right. I think its £1.5k for the visitors plus something for a bus I'm sure that's what was going on last season. Not sure about the home team tbh.

Credit to the clubs you mention there is a clear work plan plus programmes pipe bands etc raising the bar and marking the occasion 

The thing is that small things like social media are not difficult to do. Posters in shops are easier with pretty set fixture lists. Some of the club committee sizes i would expect more from but certainly clubs heading in right direction 

Interesting numbers Faceman;
The increase from the current average league attendance is very dramatic and is around the following number
Blackburn          +240%
Dunbar               +194%
LTHV                     +56% 
Newtongrange  +93%
Penicuik               +196%
Tynecastle         +63%

Well done Blackburn for such an increase - if even half these people could be retained - it would be incredible.

Like Dunbar seem to have done, Blackburn too appear to have marketed their tie very well around the town with posters appearing in many shop windows and in other business premises. The impressive turn out of 300 against Rothes will have been helped no end by the efforts there and the big push that was also evident on social media. Repeating this might be the difficult part as many shopkeepers may be happy to publicise big events but may not be so keen to do so on a weekly basis…..and do the club have people willing or able to trudge around town doing the necessary in the week before every home game? It would be great if they did and it resulted in even a fraction of that extra 240% turning up on a regular basis.

Looking at Faceman’s figures, I’d imagine that Blackburn will be pretty disappointed to have by far the smallest average home crowd in the EoSFL Premier Division when you consider the big and successful community club set up behind them - where are all the parents when it comes to supporting the ‘big team’ that their son may end up playing for one day? - but the decent turn out on Saturday, albeit for a big cup tie, surely gives hope that there are people out there who can be enticed.

p.s. according to the live coverage on BBC Scotland there was over 600 at Shielfield tonight for Berwick Rangers v Gretna, so pretty impressive there too.

15 hours ago, The Faceman said:

In terms of Berwick your absolutely right. I think its £1.5k for the visitors plus something for a bus I'm sure that's what was going on last season. Not sure about the home team tbh.

Credit to the clubs you mention there is a clear work plan plus programmes pipe bands etc raising the bar and marking the occasion 

The thing is that small things like social media are not difficult to do. Posters in shops are easier with pretty set fixture lists. Some of the club committee sizes i would expect more from but certainly clubs heading in right direction 

Well done to Blackburn, Dunbar and the others!  I follow Dunbar online and their website and social media is a class apart, good to hear it's backed with traditional advertising in their town as well.  I like their manager and assistant taking to social media with updates and their highlights are also very well done...

I watched the Berwick game last night too, great BBC coverage.  It's good to see clubs learning from each other and raising the bar - it would be good, for all, if every club had a good support as a percentage travels.  I enjoyed the Penicuik vs Tranent game at the weekend, a huge crowd... albeit both are typically well backed.

17 hours ago, The Faceman said:

I assume most teams do programmes too.

while Hutchie was £6 the programme was 2. I suspect most adults will fork out the extra 2 quid. I know they were sold out on Sunday. While there’s  some generic stuff in it there’s adverts from their sponsors and some one off articles so at £2 a decent way to get a little more money in.

Edited by Carmel Wafer

On 20/09/2021 at 18:40, The Faceman said:

Factors for an increase:

Competition Scottish Cup 

Local promotion 

Don't know what you mean or infer 'Dunbar for example despite all the stuff in pre-season' and I know that you don't know, 

9 hours ago, Malty Guy said:

Don't know what you mean or infer 'Dunbar for example despite all the stuff in pre-season' and I know that you don't know, 

'All the stuff in pre-season'

I really don't want to go back to it as I made my view (as did plenty of others) to them the time. 

The point i was making was that I was critical of them for what can only be described as...... the worst way the club has ever acted in its nearly 100 years in existence, but the work the volunteers and committee have done on promotion of games and other areas deserved a bit of praise.

14 hours ago, The Faceman said:

'All the stuff in pre-season'

I really don't want to go back to it as I made my view (as did plenty of others) to them the time. 

The point i was making was that I was critical of them for what can only be described as...... the worst way the club has ever acted in its nearly 100 years in existence, but the work the volunteers and committee have done on promotion of games and other areas deserved a bit of praise.

keep digging the hole,, it just gets bigger

8 hours ago, Casey Jones said:

99 short of what the club stated. Sounds a great match looking at that score 👍

Was impressed with Armadale especially after losing an early goal. Very direct but that is clearly something they worked on with some of the passing outstanding 

Boness played some great football at times missing their top scorer but a team full of pace and goals they are 

On another night it finishes 7-7 the number of chances and last ditch defending made this a good watch 

Conditions were difficult with driving rain and wind at times. The crowd factor possibly a issue as everyone kept moving under cover. I got 330 the club issued 325 and someone at the other side of the ground got 267. Good travelling support no doubt about that 

I see Bo'ness Athletic twitter states the attendance was 325, I did a complete walk around from behind the away dugout to behind the home dugout, couting everyone including all the kids. It may not be completely accurate, but I would reckon any error would be in single figures, and certainly not 100!!!