Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves - GAMER edition.

SANTAN

The price of video cards and processors the now.

Admittedly there may have been worse things to have happened during the pandemic, but I'm struggling to think of any.

12 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

There's no dive button on Fifa anymore.

Or being able to push a player and normally (but not always!) get a red with it. L2 L2!

Has there ever been one? I've been  consistent EA cash cow since 2004 and I don't think any game since then has had diving as a feature, I played PES a handful of times and you could dive on that at the time. Can't remember the pushing either tbf though. I miss when they let you slide tackle the oppositions keeper for a straight red also if you timed it perfectly you used to be able to slide tackle the keeper as he kicks it out his hands because for a split second on the animation he technically has his foot on the ball and the game didn't give a shit that this isn't a thing.

48 minutes ago, SANTAN said:

Has there ever been one? I've been  consistent EA cash cow since 2004 and I don't think any game since then has had diving as a feature, I played PES a handful of times and you could dive on that at the time. Can't remember the pushing either tbf though. I miss when they let you slide tackle the oppositions keeper for a straight red also if you timed it perfectly you used to be able to slide tackle the keeper as he kicks it out his hands because for a split second on the animation he technically has his foot on the ball and the game didn't give a shit that this isn't a thing.

Yeah, back on RTTWC Fifa 98 you could dive if you tapped L2 twice. If you were close enough to an opposition player, if you tapped it once you pushed them over. 

I also remember the sliding on the keeper! Much fun to be had with that. 

1 hour ago, SANTAN said:

58 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Yeah, back on RTTWC Fifa 98 you could dive if you tapped L2 twice. If you were close enough to an opposition player, if you tapped it once you pushed them over. 

I also remember the sliding on the keeper! Much fun to be had with that. 

This is Football had a dive button as well, right? There was almost definitely a FIFA I'm sure where you could be offside in your own half as well. Maybe like 2006 or something?

21 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

This is Football had a dive button as well, right? There was almost definitely a FIFA I'm sure where you could be offside in your own half as well. Maybe like 2006 or something?

This is Football did I believe. It also had 2 footed lunge/assault, which was tremendous!

Trying to remember which old football game had the option to punch other players. I think you could deck the ref too.

Edit: Euro Champ 92!

Edited by BFTD

An early version of fifa allowed you to stand in front of the keeper as he was going to kick it out, it literally hit your player and stuck to you and the keeper never moved, easy tap in

Sure it was fifa, maybe one of the early mega drive ones that had the weird as f**k angle of view

On 03/08/2021 at 00:55, 54_and_counting said:

An early version of fifa allowed you to stand in front of the keeper as he was going to kick it out, it literally hit your player and stuck to you and the keeper never moved, easy tap in

Sure it was fifa, maybe one of the early mega drive ones that had the weird as f**k angle of view

Fifa 97, I think. One of the first proper 3D ones.

I used to try to avoid doing it as it obviously made the game pointless, but if I was losing with minutes to go, and the keeper had the ball...

2 hours ago, MuckleMoo said:

Being constantly sniped in multiplayer. Playing Battlefield 1 at the moment and it's utterly rage inducing

To extend on this, basically jumping into games like this and being so hopelessly behind everyone else playing that it's no fun.  "Oh this looks like a fun m...*headshot, kill, respawn*"

The price of retro games/consoles/computers.

I ken why things are the way they are but gies a time machine so I can buy up all the things pre-retro boom.
Very, very much this.

I'm trying to find all the consoles and computers I've had over the years. Not doing too bad but the price of some of them is ridiculous.

A commodore 64 is going to set me back about £150

12 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Very, very much this.

I'm trying to find all the consoles and computers I've had over the years. Not doing too bad but the price of some of them is ridiculous.

A commodore 64 is going to set me back about £150

It's not just the computers themselves but also the components which are dying off due to age. Some of the components were bespoke/custom and or no longer made so have a premium in the aftermarket. Not to mention the more in demand components have fakes out in the market. For something like the Commodore 64 SID chip you are better off with an FPGA implementation of the SID vs buying the real thing. FPGA solutions are only going to continue to increase in popularity both for individual components & systems as a whole.

Edited by GNU_Linux

5 hours ago, MuckleMoo said:

Being constantly sniped in multiplayer. Playing Battlefield 1 at the moment and it's utterly rage inducing

Dont mind being sniped if im leaving myself open and a hidden sniper does me, i absolutely loathe the p***k that run around with the sniper rifle and one shot you by taking advantage of the quick scoping and aim assist, little sweaty no life wee b*****ds 

57 minutes ago, GNU_Linux said:

The price of retro games/consoles/computers.

I ken why things are the way they are but gies a time machine so I can buy up all the things pre-retro boom.

I occasionally remember when Atari pulled out of the video game market and retailers were selling off Jaguar bundles for £20 with one of each of the games they had in stock.

Looks like you can get £500-£1,000 just for the console now. There's bound to have been some rich fucker with spare warehouse space who snapped them all up and thought, "see you in twenty-five years, retirement fund".

12 minutes ago, 54_and_counting said:

Dont mind being sniped if im leaving myself open and a hidden sniper does me, i absolutely loathe the p***k that run around with the sniper rifle and one shot you by taking advantage of the quick scoping and aim assist, little sweaty no life wee b*****ds 

The counter to this is the pure joy when you fire a grenade off into the distance and hit a random sniper, who then sends you a rage pm along the lines of "f**k you you fucking noobtube fucker"

52 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

The counter to this is the pure joy when you fire a grenade off into the distance and hit a random sniper, who then sends you a rage pm along the lines of "f**k you you fucking noobtube fucker"

Aye or the wee dick has done you twice, so you switch to a shotgun and nail him with one shot before he gets you,