Fan Ownership - the pros and cons..

On 27/07/2021 at 20:45, Buttocks Brown said:

Looking at Scottish football just now it's clear that there are a few clubs in worrying positions due to their owners, Dundee Utd and Dumbarton immediately spring to mind. Dunfermline a play thing for some experimenting Germans? They going to still be at the club in 2030? Even St Johnstone with their outstanding season and decades of benevolent ownership look to have an uncertain future: Geoff Brown saying that he wants the family link to the club to end with him and I think it's fair to say that his son's heart is not in it at all. Admits that there's no exit plan and doesn't think there's enough fan interest to follow the fan model. What next for them as the Brown tenure ends? Ross County post-Roy MacGregor? What will be the natural place in the leagues for a team from a town of 5000 people when they're solely reliant on the income they generate themselves?

Its Steve not Geoff who has said the family link will end with him. 

Who buys the club will hopefully follow the same model , all of the directors are fans , none take a wage and the set up with the stadium earning at least 1 million a season makes up for smaller crowds than some similar teams at our normal level (Last year was a massive exception to the norm). Th money in the bank however means the club is in a good position for any sale .

With regard to Ross County i am sure i have read fans on here say Roy MacGregor has put money into infrastructure so that even when his time is done and they fall down 1 level they will still long term be able to compete as a mid level Championship team well above the level that a population of that size could support. 

I got to vote against the new Rangers being fast tracked into the top league.  If that is the only benefit of fan ownership then I am satisfied.
That's the only vote I can remember on a one-off issue other than elections of board members. There was talk of there being a vote on some of the issues relating to ending the Covid season early but I don't think it got that far.

45 minutes ago, realmadrid said:

Who buys the club will hopefully follow the same model , all of the directors are fans , none take a wage and the set up with the stadium earning at least 1 million a season makes up for smaller crowds than some similar teams at our normal level (Last year was a massive exception to the norm). Th money in the bank however means the club is in a good position for any sale .

We were up for sale for 7 years before the SMISA deal in 2016. There was one takeover bid rejected in 2012 and rumours of an Argentinian consortium wanting to buy but that came to nothing (thank God). I remember Geoff Brown being quoted as saying something along the lines of "know anyone who wants to buy a football club?" Therein lies the rub...... I guess that Rangers fans trusted David Murray was doing the right thing when he sold to Craig Whyte. Fans end up just having to cross their fingers when someone unknown appears holding the scarf above their head.