Fan Ownership - the pros and cons..

I'll start:

Con: No sugar daddy willing to throw money at your club as a vanity project

Pro: No sugar daddy throwing a tantrum once they get bored of that vanity project

What else...

7 minutes ago, Ric said:

I'll start:

Con: No sugar daddy willing to throw money at your club as a vanity project

Pro: No sugar daddy throwing a tantrum once they get bored of that vanity project

What else...

You get to make decisions that get you described as a classy club

Firstly, congrats to St Mirren. A momentous day for them.

I think the main benefits of fan ownership will be the chance to protect the club from those looking to use it as a play-thing, change the identity of the club or make decisions that appear too business driven that might impact fan engagement.

You mention the Con of no sugar daddy willing to throw money at the club but there is still the scope for outside investment, maybe just not to the degree that may otherwise be available.

The drawbacks, as mentioned by @Shuggie_Murray7, is that fan representatives on the board need to be clued up but I fear may be out of their depth. Will they have the necessary business sense or experience to meaningfully impact decisions rather than just become a blocker?

I think overall it's good news if it is handled correctly and the fans association surround themselves with the right people to help inform them.

Pros - You'll not get fucked over by some half arsed dreamer.

Cons - You'll get fucked over by your moron fanbase.

A set up where the fans have enough ownership they can veto anything absolutely ridiculous, but the majority of decisions are made by a independent chair is the best approach IMO.

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Pros - You'll not get fucked over by some half arsed dreamer.

Cons - You'll get fucked over by your moron fanbase.

A set up where the fans have enough ownership they can veto anything absolutely ridiculous, but the majority of decisions are made by a independent chair is the best approach IMO.

Thankfully we don't have this type of set up.

12 minutes ago, AJF said:

Firstly, congrats to St Mirren. A momentous day for them.

I think the main benefits of fan ownership will be the chance to protect the club from those looking to use it as a play-thing, change the identity of the club or make decisions that appear too business driven that might impact fan engagement.

You mention the Con of no sugar daddy willing to throw money at the club but there is still the scope for outside investment, maybe just not to the degree that may otherwise be available.

The drawbacks, as mentioned by @Shuggie_Murray7, is that fan representatives on the board need to be clued up but I fear may be out of their depth. Will they have the necessary business sense or experience to meaningfully impact decisions rather than just become a blocker?

I think overall it's good news if it is handled correctly and the fans association surround themselves with the right people to help inform them.

Everybody on the board are of sound educational level ether having their own successful company or high in management. We the fans smisa  get to vote who is on the board. That's about as big votes get for fans. We get a vote on future stripes and the like. Buying St Mirren for the fans had one objective.  To stop rogue business man/ group ever getting control of the club. St Mirren is in safe hands. 

2 minutes ago, buddie06smfc said:

It was firmly tongue-in-cheek as our wages are regularly discussed. I am one of those fans Shuggie Murray has described, I know nothing and rightly so. 

Me too.:P

4 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

Everybody on the board are of sound educational level ether having their own successful company or high in management. We the fans smisa  get to vote who is on the board. That's about as big votes get for fans. We get a vote on future stripes and the like. Buying St Mirren for the fans had one objective.  To stop rogue business man/ group ever getting control of the club. St Mirren is in safe hands. 

I can think of no examples where this has bitten clubs in the arse before...

22 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

50% of the board: 4 of the 8 board members are SMISA.

You need a small number of fans with the vision and organisation to get it off the ground followed by the backing of a large number of fans prepared to put their money in for the length of time required to buy out the major shareholder. In our case 1200 folk putting paying money every month for 5 years.

I'm delighted it's done for the peace of mind that the club should be around indefinitely with the risk of future financial crises reduced severely. No Craig Whytes for us. At the top end of the scale the abandoned European Super League shows what can be done when clubs are in the hands of people too detached from the fan base.

Looking at Scottish football just now it's clear that there are a few clubs in worrying positions due to their owners, Dundee Utd and Dumbarton immediately spring to mind. Dunfermline a play thing for some experimenting Germans? They going to still be at the club in 2030? Even St Johnstone with their outstanding season and decades of benevolent ownership look to have an uncertain future: Geoff Brown saying that he wants the family link to the club to end with him and I think it's fair to say that his son's heart is not in it at all. Admits that there's no exit plan and doesn't think there's enough fan interest to follow the fan model. What next for them as the Brown tenure ends? Ross County post-Roy MacGregor? What will be the natural place in the leagues for a team from a town of 5000 people when they're solely reliant on the income they generate themselves?