Aberdeen v Dundee Utd

I knew at the time that Calvin Ramsay had done well for the second goal, but until I saw it on Sportscene I hadn’t realised how well. The look on Reynolds face after the dummy is priceless. He has absolutely no idea where the ball has gone. Brilliant  play by young Calvin.

14 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

I knew at the time that Calvin Ramsay had done well for the second goal, but until I saw it on Sportscene I hadn’t realised how well. The look on Reynolds face after the dummy is priceless. He has absolutely no idea where the ball has gone. Brilliant  play by young Calvin.

I don't want to look like I'm continually bashing McInnes. I'm certain we're still training at Balgownie if not for him. 

With all that said, there's no chance we start the season with MacKenzie and Ramsay if he's still here. Two problem positions sorted and the answers were right under our nose.

25 minutes ago, CCB19035 said:

"Blunt." 

We beat you 2-0, after a Thursday night game. As others said, last season we would've drawn 0-0, and United would've gone home delighted. 

No pace in the United side and not many good footballers to retain the ball. Butcher in the middle is a truly honking footballer, just kicks lumps out of folk. Shankland and Clark lack pace, which means you're dull on the counter attack when sitting in, as you did today.  Pawlett is still as lightweight as he was when he was 19, we were taking the ball off of him with absolute ease today, I'd be worried at the state of the side if I was a DUFC fan.

There's enough there to stay up, but it'll be bottom half again, I think.

After the second went in, we let United have it, I don't think Joe Lewis had a testing save to make the whole match. That's us at about 65% at the start of the season with new signings a new manager etc, I can't wait to see 100%.

Fat Peter Pawlett, you're just a fat Peter Pawlett!!

A very workmanlike performance and a comfortable win. Still think we badly need pace in the forward areas. Ramsay sending Reynolds into a different timezone with his spin and turn was sensational.

Kennedy's time at AFC is clearly up if he isn't even on the bench when Hedges is out injured. Get him out and get a pacy winger in.

United will be 9th or worse. They were honking. Mulgrew (arsehole) very lucky not to seriously injure Ojo.

Pawlett is still as lightweight as he was when he was 19

That’s not what the Red Shed were singing, a fact acknowledged by Peter, who took it well.

Also, the diving hasn’t disappeared - he miscontrolled when set up by a poor pass from Considine and decided to take a ludicrous dive instead.

As for the match - couldn’t have gone better given last season’s outcomes in this fixture.
Not too much stress or energy expended in the middle of all this European stuff. Good to get a clean sheet and another goal for our main striker.

Both sides still look like they need 2 or 3 players (4 or 5 for us if the Hedges rumour is true and Ferguson goes).
As stated, the full back solution looks to have been found from within - at HT I was wondering if we were maybe already risking overplaying young Calvin, but what do I know?

17 minutes ago, CCB19035 said:

A striker a pacey centre half and a wide player would be excellent! 

Even if they are just loans. 

I still think McGrath will come through the door, and I anticipate Ferguson leaving, even tho I hope he doesn't as he's been excellent. 

If Ferguson has any sense he will stay another 12 to 18 months as playing alongside Brown will improve him and then he can get a big money move to England

4 hours ago, TommyDickFingers said:

A  lovely relaxing Sunday afternoon; another 90 mins in the tank ,clean sheet and no new injuries to speak of before heading to Iceland.

Ojo wasn't looking good after being absolutely clattered by Mulgrew.

Might be day to day.

aberdeen were miles better than last season,you guys were absolutely awful though I fear for you guys staying up tbh,likes of St mirren and even dundee look way ahead of u guys [emoji2961][emoji1785]

That was awful. Aberdeen looked no better today than they were last season. We, meanwhile, looked like a Micky Mellon team but without the hard work and fight. 
Harsh to call for the manager's head after one defeat but I just can't see what he brings to the club. No experience as a player, no experience as a manager at a serious level, nothing novel about the set up of his team and nothing interesting to say for himself. It's just bizarre.

59 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

That’s not what the Red Shed were singing, a fact acknowledged by Peter, who took it well.

Also, the diving hasn’t disappeared - he miscontrolled when set up by a poor pass from Considine and decided to take a ludicrous dive instead.

As for the match - couldn’t have gone better given last season’s outcomes in this fixture.
Not too much stress or energy expended in the middle of all this European stuff. Good to get a clean sheet and another goal for our main striker.

Both sides still look like they need 2 or 3 players (4 or 5 for us if the Hedges rumour is true and Ferguson goes).
As stated, the full back solution looks to have been found from within - at HT I was wondering if we were maybe already risking overplaying young Calvin, but what do I know?

No you're spot on. He's going to have to be managed carefully. I could be wrong but I think today was his first 90 minutes. 

4 hours ago, Pull My Strings said:

Nah. Aberdeen were blunt and predictable, just like last season. Unlike last season we didn't have any dig whatsoever. That was the difference.

You can only beat what's in front of you though. Maybe Aberdeen were content to win without playing well. I certainly wouldn't worry about it.

I don't think yesterday game is time to judge the dons. The dons had a couple of days to prepare and I think at times looked like Thursday night game caught up on them and I think we was poor. I was surprised how bad Dundee United was and it looks like they might struggle this season.

Edited by betting competition

Just catching up with the highlights now. Did the commentator REALLY just describe the 2 sides as “North East Behemoths”??? f**k me, that wasn’t even true in the 80s that was what made that period so incredible. It’s not within a million miles of true today. 

45 minutes ago, Junior_Arab said:

North East Behemoths

I've never heard Dundee described as "north east" either. Is that actually said commonly or was it just the commentator's personal take on geography?

16 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

They're making us wear face masks. Outdoors. When there's absolutely no legal or medical reason for it. 

They're making us share our medical records with complete, unqualified strangers who have no business looking at anything on my phone, never mind my medical history. 

We're required to show 'photo ID' before getting into the ground. I didn't realise that was now the law in Scotland. 

Now, I realise that we're not being held in cells and waterboarded, but as far as 21st century Scotland goes that's pretty damn much an abuse of my civil liberties. 

I also realise that these rules are set not by the club, but by the most useless district council in the western world.  I also get ti that Aberdeen FC as a private business are entitled to set their own standards for entry. 

But I'm pretty stunned at how many people are unquestioningly going along with this prejudicial nonsense. I'm interested to see what will happen after 9th August when 'restrictions are lifted (hahaha)' but individual councils and clubs decide to keep on applying them anyway. 

There are so many things that I disagree with in your one post, which is unusual because you normally come across as being fairly sensible. I agree with you about the wearing of face masks outside, but it’s not a big deal and I’ve been comfortable enough doing that to get into the two matches at Pittodrie so far. “Making us share medical records” is just ludicrous. You are proving that you tested negative on that day for Covid 19, nothing more, nothing less. And you didn’t have to show photo id to get into the ground as such, you had to show photo id so that it showed that the negative test on your phone actually belonged to you. I wouldn’t want to have to do this much longer, but happy initially to follow these procedures for the two matches concerned. Unlike you, I’m pretty sure most of these restrictions won’t be in place after 9th August.

10 hours ago, Dee Man said:

You have to give him at least until the 19th of September IMO.

Know what, that may well be his last game if we're close to, of not, cut adrift at the bottom and then get pumped in the Derby. Might almost he worth it for the long term future of United tbh.

Get this buzzword chump tae f**k. Id literally take Yogi or Elvis instead of him. Christ, id even have Jobby McCall over him.

Edited by mishtergrolsch

Very impressive display by the young right back in the last 2 games

Maybe Patterson doesn't have that dark blue jersey sewn up after all.

Guest Bob Mahelp
3 hours ago, kingjoey said:

There are so many things that I disagree with in your one post, which is unusual because you normally come across as being fairly sensible. I agree with you about the wearing of face masks outside, but it’s not a big deal and I’ve been comfortable enough doing that to get into the two matches at Pittodrie so far. “Making us share medical records” is just ludicrous. You are proving that you tested negative on that day for Covid 19, nothing more, nothing less. And you didn’t have to show photo id to get into the ground as such, you had to show photo id so that it showed that the negative test on your phone actually belonged to you. I wouldn’t want to have to do this much longer, but happy initially to follow these procedures for the two matches concerned. Unlike you, I’m pretty sure most of these restrictions won’t be in place after 9th August.

That's your opinion bud, and I have mine. 

I don't like these regulations for various reasons. The main one (outside the fact that I hate showing some nobody details on my phone and photo ID) is that they're completely arbitrary, and have little or no legal or medical basis.

Secondly, the rules being applied are not consistent. There were no masks at any other ground aside from Pittodrie, and little social distancing anywhere else. I'm not sure about the LFT tests or photo ID, but I haven't heard that apply anywhere else. If you're going to have specific rules that apply only to football games, make them consistent country-wide, or forget about them completely. 

I'll go along with it to watch my team, but unlike you I'm not 'comfortable' with it. That's all. 

Calvin Ramsay is receiving the plaudits and rightly so, particularly for his assist for the Ramirez goal but I think Jack McKenzie has the potential to be an excellent left-back.

Hopefully, Hayes can be utilised mostly now in an attacking sense as I think he's far more effective in this role. He might've been fine for Celtic at left-back but he would have had less work to do defensively there...

Edited by Bogbrush1903