Your Club's Manager, As A Player

6 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:

Agreed. McPake was unlucky with injuries but rarely showed what he had.

McPake's injuries were largely down to him making rash challenges as a result of being too slow and a bit thick.

Neilson was an extremely limited full back (think Lewis Stevenson) but still ahead of McPake and Goodwin for me.

Jim Goodwin was a fucking terrible footballer. I'm not making out McPake was much better but at least he could control a ball and pass it. He made mistakes but Goodwin was one of the most technically limited players I've ever seen in Scotland's top flight. Truly woeful. 

Guest TheJTS98
8 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

Jim Goodwin was a fucking terrible footballer. I'm not making out McPake was much better but at least he could control a ball and pass it. He made mistakes but Goodwin was one of the most technically limited players I've ever seen in Scotland's top flight. Truly woeful. 

Goodwin always reminded me of the old guy you see in every Sunday morning amateur team that doesn't drink or smoke, goes to the gym every day and has cycling as an actual hobby, is mild mannered and nice away from the fitba, but when he gets on the park tucks in his shirt, pulls his shorts up too high and runs around shouting at the hungover young lads, despite being fucking pish himself.

Edited by TheJTS98

2 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Neilson was a solid SPL player as far as I remember. Maybe the equivalent of someone like Shay Logan or even Michael Smith from his own team.

Not like me to jump to the defence of a Rangers player, but Shay Logan was voted by his fellow pros in the PFA Scottish Premiership Team Of The Year three seasons in a row.  Don't compare him with jobbers like Neilson. 

4 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Not accepting Goodwin above McPake though. McPake was playing in the English Championship for a sizeable chunk of his career... Goodwin's only season at English Championship level was when his Scunthorpe side were papped straight back down to League One. 

Goodwin has more appearances in the Championship according to Soccerbase yXAbrOQ.png

Edited by yoda

15 minutes ago, yoda said:

Goodwin has more appearances in the Championship according to Soccerbase yXAbrOQ.png

Wiki has McPake down as playing 68 games in the English Championship. 

I didn't know soccerbase was still a thing.

Checked transfermarkt and they say just under 40. Had assumed wiki was accurate in this case tbh. It usually is except for joke figures but would go with transfermarkt over it, admittedly.

Many did Goodwin play in the season his side were slapped down back to League One? 

1 hour ago, Busta Nut said:

Robbie Neilson was 3 times the player McPake was.

Has anyone challenged Callum Davidson's 2nd place?

No and rightly so. The fact a 19 capped Scottish International who played the majority of his career in the top 2 flights of English football is a clear second place in this shows how poor all the other managers were as players. 

No and rightly so. The fact a 19 capped Scottish International who played the majority of his career in the top 2 flights of English football is a clear second place in this shows how poor all the other managers were as players. 
If you're going by those criteria then you'd have Alexander, with over twice as many caps, above Davidson.

Left back was he? Looks like he was Alexander's bitch when Scotland came calling

Just went looking there. I don’t think it helped Davidson had persistent injury issues when Alexander appeared on the international scene.

Davidson could’ve also gone pro in tennis and golf from memory.

I would have said Davidson was a better player than Alexander, but not by that much and Alexander arguably had the better career.

TBH, below Gerrard, there's not a manager in the league who was that good.  Davidson was back up to Gary Naysmith for Scotland, Alexander was a solid pro who took a lot of flak for Scotland and Mackay was a big huddy.  The rest were various levels of average to poor.

21 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

I accept the Alexander above Malky shouts. I thought Malky primarily played for Norwich in the Prem, but turns out it was the Championship having checked so my memory deceived me there.

Not accepting Goodwin above McPake though. McPake was playing in the English Championship for a sizeable chunk of his career and then captained Hibs and finally, arrived at us when people thought he was finished and gave us good service in the top flight as well. Goodwin's only season at English Championship level was when his Scunthorpe side were papped straight back down to League One. Without getting Dundee involved, I'd say Coventry and Hibs are bigger than any side Goodwin played for bar the exception of Celtic (he played 1 game as a youth for Celtic) & Huddersfield (I still think Coventry and Hibs are bigger tbh) upon which they were in League One at the time.

Both have a cap for their respective national sides and McPake was pretty much plagued throughout his career with injury issues which is the only thing that brings Goodwin close in terms of his career IMO.

It's like 2 bald men arguing over a comb, however, as neither had careers anywhere near the top half did (Neilson excepted).

Started out as a striker too, and missed a one on one against Rangers keeper (think it was Klos) in the closing minutes of the game for us to win/draw (get something from the game, my memory is foggy on it now), then got shifted to CB. Think it was John Robertson that suggested/told him to try playing in defence. Great decision, he was a far better defender than a striker.

Aye he was hampered by a niggly back injury, as well as picking up other injuries.

• 3 months later...
On 27/07/2021 at 16:48, Ludo*1 said:

So who out of our list of 12 managers was the best and who was the worst? There's a few (Big Ange) that I certainly have limited knowledge on so just taking a punt. Thread isn't to be taken too seriously, just ridicule everyone's list for putting a manager above your own.

1. Steven Gerrard  Giovanni van Bronckhorst

2. Callum Davidson

3. Malky Mackay

4. Graham Alexander

5. Stephen Glass

6. Robbie Neilson

7. James McPake

8. Jim Goodwin

9. Ange Postecogclou

10. Jack Ross

11. Tam Courts

12. David Martindale

Updated this for you, mate.

4 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Updated this for you, mate.

For some reason the first thing that comes to my mind about Van Bronckhorst in Scotland is that for a good while Amoruso used to take free kicks instead of him. How that was allowed to go on for so long was absolutely baffling.

8 minutes ago, gannonball said:

For some reason the first thing that comes to my mind about Van Bronckhorst in Scotland is that for a good while Amoruso used to take free kicks instead of him. How that was allowed to go on for so long was absolutely baffling.

Used to absolutely infuriate my old man whenever Amoruso strolled up to take a free kick. His rage was almost always justified.