Your Club's Manager, As A Player

Done this thread a few times over the years. The most recent Prem one I could find was back in 2018:

So who out of our list of 12 managers was the best and who was the worst? There's a few (Big Ange) that I certainly have limited knowledge on so just taking a punt. Thread isn't to be taken too seriously, just ridicule everyone's list for putting a manager above your own.

1. Steven Gerrard

2. Callum Davidson

3. Malky Mackay

4. Graham Alexander

5. Stephen Glass

6. Robbie Neilson

7. James McPake

8. Jim Goodwin

9. Ange Postecogclou

10. Jack Ross

11. Tam Courts

12. David Martindale

Some amount of dross until you get to the top 4. I've previously put McPake ahead of Neilson in a Championship list as they've had very similar careers. Goodwin could easily go above but he was just a clogger for me. Big Ange is the wildcard. I valued a cap for RoI which Goodwin has as better than 4 caps for Australia in 1986, but would happily bow down to anyone with superior knowledge on that front.

Can't argue with your list too much but Ange has to be lower than Jack Ross. He never played professionally.

The quality of the list has dipped since 2018. Top 6/7 in 2018 had multiple league titles, trophies and English Premier League careers. Now you've got Callum Davidson 2nd.

I'm waiting on someone posting "David Martindale Skills and Tricks (FROM INSIDE!)" to rocket him up to at least a solid 5th place.  One of those really grainy highlight reels where he skins 3 folk and belts one in from 40 yards

2 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

I'm waiting on someone posting "David Martindale Skills and Tricks (FROM INSIDE!)" to rocket him up to at least a solid 5th place.  One of those really grainy highlight reels where he skins 3 folk and belts one in from 40 yards

Film Mean Machine is based on Martindale's life.

Are we judging exclusively on ability here or does overall career come into it?

Mackay ahead of Alexander? Hmmmmmm....

Granted Mackay had a spell with Celtic but only 5 caps.

Alexander had 1000+ career appearances including 981 league games and 40 international caps along with being an actual club legend at Preston and having a full season in the Barclays with Burnley. Plus his penalty record was exceptional.

edit: @craigkillie beat me to it.

Edited by capt_oats

I'd have Alexander above Malky. More caps and had more about him as a player despite Malky being a decent defender. There's then a big drop to Glass (admittedly injury ravaged) and Neilson.

4 minutes ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

Goodwin was a much better player than McPake imo

Agreed. McPake was unlucky with injuries but rarely showed what he had. Also hasn't megged David Villa.

Was Martindale not a fairly decent junior level player?

10 minutes ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

Aye.  Glass at Aberdeen and early days in Newcastle was excellent.  Injuries cost him but a very good player.

Newcastle also at that time were either a champions league or a champions league chasing team iirc

8 minutes ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

Aye.  Glass at Aberdeen and early days in Newcastle was excellent.  Injuries cost him but a very good player.

TBH I can't remember much about McPake and Goodwin. I was playing amateur football every Saturday when they were in their prime up here.

I bet when Stephen glass was awarded his man of the match Coca Cola bicycle on the hampden pitch back in 1995, he didn’t think that he’d have to tolerate some diddy on pie and bovril calling him dross 26 years later. 

Sad, very sad. 

Edited by Dons_1988