Jump to content

Elgin City 2021-22


Recommended Posts

Saw on another forum, talk of Peterhead being interested in Jack Brown at Rothes. I would be disappointed if we were not also interested. He has always impressed me when I have seen him, including against Elgin. I have long thought now that the HL is no longer awash with money,  as being an area we should be looking at, especially given our geography and difficulty in attracting top southern based players. I had hoped that with Steven McKay joining the club we would be able to use his knowledge and contacts to identify and attract more players from up here. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Think we are relatively safe. Not much between the teams in the League, Kelty apart, so would expect all teams to take points off each other, us included. Cowdenbeath are the poorest team I’ve seen this season, although they are showing signs of improvement. We have got to factor in suspensions that are likely to be dished out for our players betting misdemeanours! I expect us to finish 7th or 8th, which I think will be about right, given what I’ve seen this season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 30/01/2022 at 14:46, Jacksgranda said:

Are City looking over their shoulder again> Or are they (relatively) safe?

Went to Cowdenbeath today JG. Elgin were abysmal. Carry on like that and they’ll be playoff bound. 
 

Cowden weren’t much better but they could at least pass to each other.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, cowdenbeath said:

That Elgin side beat Kelty a few weeks ago.

Yeah, but Kelty had just beaten St Johnstone after extra time on the Saturday. They were comfortably clear in the league, so you can understand if they were off the pace for a trip up to Elgin a few days later. That always looked like a potential upset.

I see some of our fans thought we were good today, but I agree with an earlier post. I thought we were poor, but fortunately Elgin were worse. The early penalty was a gift. Silly challenge. I thought we should have taken the game to Elgin more. We sat way too deep and allowed Elgin to come at us. It really looked like Elgin would equalise and maybe even sneak a win, but they were sloppy. Some of our team still do not look fit. Robbie B and Mullen were easily beaten for pace at times. Our 2 new boys up front didn't look threatening in front of goal, but to be fair to them, it was their first full games and it can't be easy for them being far from home, especially Barrowman. Carty puts himself about and although he was wasteful, he may just need game time. Barrowman looked a bit off the pace as well. Hopefully the goal will have given him a real boost because he looks like he can be a good player. I thought we missed the experience of Liam upfront in a game like that, especially near the end. The other new boys looked good, especially Ferguson.

I didn't see the Elgin penalty shout clearly enough, so not sure if it was or not.

We will definitely have to improve if we are to pull ourselves clear. We have a tough run coming up now. 2 midweek games next week and then Saturday and Tuesday games in successive weeks. Hopefully the win gives us a boost. If we can stay injury free and treat every game like a cup final then we can catch one of the teams above us.

Although Elgin were poor, they don't look poor enough to finish bottom. They look fitter than us and still look confident despite their poor recent form.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, PELE said:

Yeah, but Kelty had just beaten St Johnstone after extra time on the Saturday. They were comfortably clear in the league, so you can understand if they were off the pace for a trip up to Elgin a few days later. That always looked like a potential upset.

I see some of our fans thought we were good today, but I agree with an earlier post. I thought we were poor, but fortunately Elgin were worse. The early penalty was a gift. Silly challenge. I thought we should have taken the game to Elgin more. We sat way too deep and allowed Elgin to come at us. It really looked like Elgin would equalise and maybe even sneak a win, but they were sloppy. Some of our team still do not look fit. Robbie B and Mullen were easily beaten for pace at times. Our 2 new boys up front didn't look threatening in front of goal, but to be fair to them, it was their first full games and it can't be easy for them being far from home, especially Barrowman. Carty puts himself about and although he was wasteful, he may just need game time. Barrowman looked a bit off the pace as well. Hopefully the goal will have given him a real boost because he looks like he can be a good player. I thought we missed the experience of Liam upfront in a game like that, especially near the end. The other new boys looked good, especially Ferguson.

I didn't see the Elgin penalty shout clearly enough, so not sure if it was or not.

We will definitely have to improve if we are to pull ourselves clear. We have a tough run coming up now. 2 midweek games next week and then Saturday and Tuesday games in successive weeks. Hopefully the win gives us a boost. If we can stay injury free and treat every game like a cup final then we can catch one of the teams above us.

Although Elgin were poor, they don't look poor enough to finish bottom. They look fitter than us and still look confident despite their poor recent form.

I couldn't disagree with u more If I tried. Robbie Buchanan does more running than any1 in our team his stats and mileage would back that up. The pr0blem is their left back is just too quick for both of them. Our team was Not fit under bollan and they are fitter now 100% but some players need more games. Elgin weren't better than us today. They weren't fitter either.

I'm always baffled by this take the game to teams. What does that mean... we sat deep at times to mop up with 2 midfielders tactically doing their utmost to protect.. it's called tactics.. not giving away space in behind. 

We have kept clean sheets 3 out 4 games I think it is.. theres no coincidence.. we should have a base and work from there and when gaining possession look to get players forward including wing backs.. we have a great structure and set up to suit our individual players who if isolated in certain areas can be exposed.. "taking it to teams" just wont work. We had 3 one on ones today in any football game at any level that's excellent 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, PELE said:

Yeah, but Kelty had just beaten St Johnstone after extra time on the Saturday. They were comfortably clear in the league, so you can understand if they were off the pace for a trip up to Elgin a few days later. That always looked like a potential upset.

I see some of our fans thought we were good today, but I agree with an earlier post. I thought we were poor, but fortunately Elgin were worse. The early penalty was a gift. Silly challenge. I thought we should have taken the game to Elgin more. We sat way too deep and allowed Elgin to come at us. It really looked like Elgin would equalise and maybe even sneak a win, but they were sloppy. Some of our team still do not look fit. Robbie B and Mullen were easily beaten for pace at times. Our 2 new boys up front didn't look threatening in front of goal, but to be fair to them, it was their first full games and it can't be easy for them being far from home, especially Barrowman. Carty puts himself about and although he was wasteful, he may just need game time. Barrowman looked a bit off the pace as well. Hopefully the goal will have given him a real boost because he looks like he can be a good player. I thought we missed the experience of Liam upfront in a game like that, especially near the end. The other new boys looked good, especially Ferguson.

I didn't see the Elgin penalty shout clearly enough, so not sure if it was or not.

We will definitely have to improve if we are to pull ourselves clear. We have a tough run coming up now. 2 midweek games next week and then Saturday and Tuesday games in successive weeks. Hopefully the win gives us a boost. If we can stay injury free and treat every game like a cup final then we can catch one of the teams above us.

Although Elgin were poor, they don't look poor enough to finish bottom. They look fitter than us and still look confident despite their poor recent form.

Also our front 2 weren't threatening but one scored and same guy missed a sitter one on one.. cowdenbeath will never create 12 chances a game it just wont happen. If we create 5 good opportunities with a good base and defensive structure that is good. Carty created most of our chances and got us up the pitch one poor choice in the game shudnt go against what he was and that was excellent.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, NELLY 1 said:

I couldn't disagree with u more If I tried. Robbie Buchanan does more running than any1 in our team his stats and mileage would back that up. The pr0blem is their left back is just too quick for both of them. Our team was Not fit under bollan and they are fitter now 100% but some players need more games. Elgin weren't better than us today. They weren't fitter either.

I'm always baffled by this take the game to teams. What does that mean... we sat deep at times to mop up with 2 midfielders tactically doing their utmost to protect.. it's called tactics.. not giving away space in behind. 

We have kept clean sheets 3 out 4 games I think it is.. theres no coincidence.. we should have a base and work from there and when gaining possession look to get players forward including wing backs.. we have a great structure and set up to suit our individual players who if isolated in certain areas can be exposed.. "taking it to teams" just wont work. We had 3 one on ones today in any football game at any level that's excellent 

I am not saying we should take it to teams all the time, but it is a risky game sitting too deep, especially against a poor Elgin team. I can understand if it was against Kelty. I thought we allowed Elgin too much time on the ball and if we do that in the games coming up, we will get punished. Ross is definitely better than Bollan and we would not be in the bottom half if he was in charge all season. We are far better and have improved immensely, I just thought we were poorer today. I have said before that I think Robbie can be a key player if he puts the effort in, but many do disagree. I wasn't really criticising, just stating that I thought we poorer today.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, NELLY 1 said:

Also our front 2 weren't threatening but one scored and same guy missed a sitter one on one.. cowdenbeath will never create 12 chances a game it just wont happen. If we create 5 good opportunities with a good base and defensive structure that is good. Carty created most of our chances and got us up the pitch one poor choice in the game shudnt go against what he was and that was excellent.

Why can't we create more chances? We have players in the team now capable of doing it. If you sit too deep you run the risk of losing games which you can win. As we seen all too often under Bollan. I actually thought Carty did well considering it was his first full game. Just didn't look like scoring today. No big deal. It's early in his Cowden career. I also thought he was unlucky with some of the referees decisions. Barrowman looks good, just looked a bit rusty today, which you can appreciate. The goal will be good for his confidence and you could see how much it meant the way he celebrated. It's been a long time since I have seen Cowden celebrate like that after a goal.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Super Elgin City said:

Absolutely disgraceful run we are on. I fear if we do not change the manager now we are on a one way slide to the highland league. Severe lack of quality

Where are you planning getting a new manager at this time of the season and where are we getting better quality players? I agree the team lacks quality but it’s more or less the same team who made play offs last season and who were on a fine run in January resulting in Price getting the manager of the month. It’s a league of fine margins. I personally think Price has enough credit in the bank but either way now is not the time for change.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well to finish 9th we probably need to win a few games Cowden have a big week ahead things could look a lot better for Elgin by the time we play Stirling. Or not but it’s in our hands . We made chances against Annan the other night . Don’t know about yesterday but Gavin n the lads have it in them so hold your nerves. C’Mon Elgin city

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Thom & Gerry said:

Where are you planning getting a new manager at this time of the season and where are we getting better quality players? I agree the team lacks quality but it’s more or less the same team who made play offs last season and who were on a fine run in January resulting in Price getting the manager of the month. It’s a league of fine margins. I personally think Price has enough credit in the bank but either way now is not the time for change.

I would imagine the team of Sid Mackay and Alex Bone are already been lined up to replace Price anyway. On the manager of the month i feel that Darryls 2 late goals put a slightly positive spin on poor performances. Albeit the Kelty game was a great performance. It is the constant changing of players positions that is very frustrating with Price. But i do agree with you he does probably have enough in the bank having slept on it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Super Elgin City said:

I would imagine the team of Sid Mackay and Alex Bone are already been lined up to replace Price anyway. On the manager of the month i feel that Darryls 2 late goals put a slightly positive spin on poor performances. Albeit the Kelty game was a great performance. It is the constant changing of players positions that is very frustrating with Price. But i do agree with you he does probably have enough in the bank having slept on it. 

Can’t back this up with statistics but since Gibson left and McKay came in we seem to have gone downhill so is he not as culpable as Price? You could be right about the end of the season though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Thom & Gerry said:

Can’t back this up with statistics but since Gibson left and McKay came in we seem to have gone downhill so is he not as culpable as Price? You could be right about the end of the season though.

I agree, i believe he is as cupable as Price and i would imagine he probably has similar ideas. It seems to be the way we do it. Manager steps down and the assistant gets the job. Not sure how healthy that is too be honest. Sometimes the players need a new voice. That is 7 years Price has been at Elgin. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...