Elgin City 2021-22

16 hours ago, superbigal said:

I hope you took the cashout as they would likely have voided after postponement and refunded your stake.

Yeah tripled my money, didn't bother with the re arranged game, 25/1 into 9/2 was not worth it and by that point the generous 50/1 on Darvel was gone!

Hopefully we will get by Cove next week and welcome Elgin to Somerset Park!

Surprised he has got a move up the way tbh, but he did show flashes of talent and seems to have done pretty well at Rothes. Elgin were poor last season so it wasn't a great team to come in to and he's younger than I thought so could be a reasonable signing.

1 hour ago, afca32 said:

Surprised he has got a move up the way tbh, but he did show flashes of talent and seems to have done pretty well at Rothes. Elgin were poor last season so it wasn't a great team to come in to and he's younger than I thought so could be a reasonable signing.

5 minutes ago, 1993 said:

Can’t believe he’s going to Montrose. You surely can find better. HL is his level.

A friend who goes to almost every Elgin game has made a comparison between Machado and Antoniazzi, both tidy on the ball but probably not the man you want if you’re trying to grind out games. 

We’re short on numbers having lost a few of our loan players as well as 2 of our own players leaving so we’ve had to fill the bench with academy players, I’m guessing he’s shown enough in the training sessions he’s had with us recently to at least improve our options off the bench. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've watched some dross served up at BB this season but Saturday is right up there. As soon as Kanes hearing/trial is done we are either losing him to a massive ban or another team at which point we are going to be in big trouble. The squad isn't good enough. And the club/recruitment need to start thinking outside the box rather than just 'sign anyone that's been released by Caley or Aberdeen'. Back to looking over our shoulders again....

Can’t really argue with your post but our geographical position makes it really difficult to recruit from other parts of the country. Strong relationships with County, Aberdeen etc are a no brainer as again geographically this is our area, also wages being paid to decent LL and HL players makes recruitment difficult from there as other teams have found out. 

22 minutes ago, 1993 said:

Can’t really argue with your post but our geographical position makes it really difficult to recruit from other parts of the country. Strong relationships with County, Aberdeen etc are a no brainer as again geographically this is our area, also wages being paid to decent LL and HL players makes recruitment difficult from there as other teams have found out. 

That's a fair reply and I agree to an extent but we've watched Caley,county,perterhead (to a lesser extent cove) all get out of this league with similar issues. I've always got the feeling we, as a club ,are just happy to plod along without having much ambition to do more but with relegation now in play this is very dangerous as I genuinely believe without Hester we would be rock bottom by some distance.

Saturday's game was probably our worst performance in a while by far. I don't rate either of our January signings, Reid, for his height, rarely wins a header (OK he scored from a header on his debut) and when he does, it's a flick on to nobody. Taylor is fast and strong, but can't cross a ball. Anderson, who I initially liked, has turned into David Wilson, and is a bomb scare. Dingwall seems off the boil imo.

6 hours ago, Elgin Macca said:

That's a fair reply and I agree to an extent but we've watched Caley,county,perterhead (to a lesser extent cove) all get out of this league with similar issues. I've always got the feeling we, as a club ,are just happy to plod along without having much ambition to do more but with relegation now in play this is very dangerous as I genuinely believe without Hester we would be rock bottom by some distance.

I know where your coming from but it’s down to finance. Inverness has a far bigger population and therefore fan base. County have their sugar daddy, Peterhead were mega sponsored by oil companies, some of whom have migrated to Cove, hence Peterhead’s struggles and Cove now heavily backed by said oil companies, although that will wain with the downturn in oil work. Elgin haven’t got these income streams. I think we are a well run club living within our means, frustrating as that is. Eventually  County and Cove will find their level according to their fan base ie Div 1 & 2 same as Elgin’s.

Don't like saying it as I like him as a person but that two year deal for Gav is starting to looking a bit daft. I think 7th is a pretty fair reflection of how we've performed this season, other than a good spell in September/early October it's been pretty mediocre. The tactic of lump it towards Hester and hope he produces some magic is getting particularly tiresome but I don't think our centre backs (who are both good at defending IMO) are composed enough to play out from the back like we've done successfully in the past.

18 hours ago, afca32 said:

We've signed Andrew Tod on loan from Dunfermline. Central midfielder who's just turned 17 so very young. He's played a few games off the bench for them this season.

Neat and tidy player, I saw him play against Darren McGregor in a Hibs reserve game and he was okay.

Where do Elgin train as it seems like a hell of a commute for Tod

Edited by 101

18 hours ago, afca32 said:

We've signed Andrew Tod on loan from Dunfermline. Central midfielder who's just turned 17 so very young. He's played a few games off the bench for them this season.

Interesting to see you say central midfielder, is that your take or did the club say that on the announcement? When he's played for us at under-21 level, in the reserves and his very brief first team appearances he's played as a forward - either up top in a two, in the hole behind one or two out and out strikers or in a wide attacking role (although very much not a winger).