Elgin City 2021-22

4 hours ago, WeAreElgin said:

How did we play last night? Dundee Utd's squad had a few recognisable names in it so by all accounts a win is decent.

Pretty good game last night. Both teams played some nice stuff at times. A lot of the Dundee utd players very good technically and they could/should have scored a few in the first half. A really well worked goal from Elgin and the superior physicality probably won the game in the end. But an enjoyable night for a fiver.

As for Hester re-signing. I am a big fan of his and he has been excellent for us but i don't think he really had much of a choice. With the court case/SFA hearing hanging over him i very much doubt another club would have taken a punt on him with a possible long ban or worse incoming. (if found guilty of course). If not then brilliant news we have him for another season!

8 hours ago, WeAreElgin said:

How did we play last night? Dundee Utd's squad had a few recognisable names in it so by all accounts a win is decent.

We were the better team overall, but rode our luck a couple of times. McHale was my MoTM. Hester seems to have some fire in his belly again and Mailer was putting himself about and getting stuck in.

Thought Elgin were distinctly average and were fortunate to go 2 goals up slightly against the run of play. For me too many long aimless balls from our back four giving Hester little chance. Having said that Hester is struggling with his overall game. His hold up play and linking is poor and once again he missed some good chances. If we are to survive in this league we will need him to score regularly. Our lack of quality in midfield is obvious but I suspect getting players who are any better is going to be difficult.

Rock bottom. No wins. Discipline a shambles (conceding 2 pens in a matter of minutes). Albion rovers picking up points. As i've said though we will just plod along until we are back in the Highland league. Last season was bad enough and its continued and more this season!

18 hours ago, WeAreElgin said:

Season written off in August? Not for me

I know what you're saying, its still very early but Its not just August though. Last season we won 9 games and were only saved by a Cowdenbeath side slightly worse than us. Even continuing on from the season before which got  cancelled we were on a terrible run of form. I just feel its time for a change and a fresh approach before its too late. I'm not expecting any change though as there's always just a feeling of acceptance from the board. Little old Elgin just happy to be in the leagues. Maybe just the grumpy old man in me but always so frustrating seeing the other north clubs having a right go at it and getting up out this league time and again. 

I agree we have been on a downward spiral from the season before last. I don’t know what we can change? A lot to do with finance or lack of it. Look a Peterhead they don’t have the same oil money coming in and they are in free fall. Interesting letter on the Peterhead forum from their chairman explaining their recruitment problem which I think a lot of pertains to Elgin as well.

2 hours ago, Thom & Gerry said:

I agree we have been on a downward spiral from the season before last. I don’t know what we can change? 

Step 1: Bring back Ross Jack and Craig Gunn.

PS - That unintentionally rhymes haha.