Elgin City 2021-22

1 hour ago, percyboy said:
6 hours ago, cityloon said:
would be great to see jim back thought he worked well with gavin previously and i think seems to get the most out of the players

Just been announced Jim back as assistant manager

ah thats grand pleased with that now 😀

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/06/2022 at 22:55, Thom & Gerry said:

5-0 v Clach. Few trialists. Ross Draper there, not playing but possibly returning for another loan spell or maybe just spectating? 

Our first friendly is Saturday, if he's not there it could be a sign he's surplus to requirements and might be heading back to you lads. Will let you know what I hear / what I see 

9 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Our first friendly is Saturday, if he's not there it could be a sign he's surplus to requirements and might be heading back to you lads. Will let you know what I hear / what I see 

He was in Inverness for an Arron Doran testimonial event so maybe just spectating.

Pre season so far. Clach 5-0, Lossie 6-0, Fraserburgh 2-0, Peterhead 2-0. Still pre season which really means nothing but on a positive note, four good wins which will up confidence after last season. I appreciate teams are full of trialists which gives a us bit of an advantage given our relative lower turn over of personnel. We have recruited in the defensive area and things look pretty good there so far. We still lack quality in midfield and out wide. The manager has highlighted these as areas he wants to strengthen as well as another striker. Given he has not recruited in these areas already, it would appear he has been unsuccessful in the pursuit of his targets. It will be down to the loan market and his success there will determine whether it’s the top or bottom half we’re competing in.

I was well impressed with the team in the match against Peterhead today. The young players out on loan last year were sharp and buzzing. The only player who, imo, didn't merit a 10/10 was McHale, but that was because he had next to nothing to deal with.  I have to disagree with T&G regarding being short in midfield and in the wings. Soapy was excellent, Rory and Dingwall were getting stuck in and Machado and Lawrence were terrorising the Peterhead fullbacks. Anderson and Dolansky were a good pairing in the CB positions and considering both our FBs were midfielders, they were also solid.

I also thought that Fraserburgh were poor, considering that they are the HL champions in our first game.

Sorry Gordon but have to disagree. The young boys are coming on but nowhere ready for regular Div 2 starts. Our midfield was not good enough last year, nothing has changed. Fraserburgh played a lot of young boys and Peterhead only had a shadow team starting. We can only play what’s put in front of us and results and performance have been good but as things stand can only see lower mid table at the moment.

Pre-season is always a notoriously difficult time to judge how teams may fare when the action proper commences. On the face of it Elgin would seem to be building quite nicely with all the clean sheet results against SHFL opposition - & the Peterhead win looked good until you saw the detail of their team - but suspect it will be when the cup games begin that we'll really see how the team is set.

I went to the Forres-Elgin game last night, & the first 45 minutes has to be the best that I've seen an Elgin side move both the ball & players around the pitch, & Forres struggled to get near them. In particular the central midfield three of Mailer, Dingwall & Cameron looked very promising, & both Machedo & Lawrence look like they're pushing for starting places, with both showing good form down the flanks. Strength in depth is perhaps still an issue, as T&G is correct that whilst the young lads are definitely progressing well, in reality most will be bench fillers or going our on loan.

Word from a couple of club personnel (1 coach & 1 senior player) with whom I spoke last night was that they're still seeking another two or three players, especially a left back - Cairns can play there but is right-footed - & a striker. In addition, Antoniazzi who was in on trial last night looked decent quality when he came on in the second half, & would seem to be a good addition if he ends up being signed.

So lots of positive signs, but then Elgin fans have seen those in past, so fingers crossed that they turn into something tangible this season.

9 hours ago, Highland ITFC said:

Pre-season is always a notoriously difficult time to judge how teams may fare when the action proper commences. On the face of it Elgin would seem to be building quite nicely with all the clean sheet results against SHFL opposition - & the Peterhead win looked good until you saw the detail of their team - but suspect it will be when the cup games begin that we'll really see how the team is set.

I went to the Forres-Elgin game last night, & the first 45 minutes has to be the best that I've seen an Elgin side move both the ball & players around the pitch, & Forres struggled to get near them. In particular the central midfield three of Mailer, Dingwall & Cameron looked very promising, & both Machedo & Lawrence look like they're pushing for starting places, with both showing good form down the flanks. Strength in depth is perhaps still an issue, as T&G is correct that whilst the young lads are definitely progressing well, in reality most will be bench fillers or going our on loan.

Word from a couple of club personnel (1 coach & 1 senior player) with whom I spoke last night was that they're still seeking another two or three players, especially a left back - Cairns can play there but is right-footed - & a striker. In addition, Antoniazzi who was in on trial last night looked decent quality when he came on in the second half, & would seem to be a good addition if he ends up being signed.

So lots of positive signs, but then Elgin fans have seen those in past, so fingers crossed that they turn into something tangible this season.

Pretty fair assessment of things so far. Antoniazzi would be a good signing. Exactly the type of player we are looking for.

15 minutes ago, Thom & Gerry said:

Pretty fair assessment of things so far. Antoniazzi would be a good signing. Exactly the type of player we are looking for.

I really rated Canto when he was with us in L2. He's got some spark, can play the final pass and chip in with a few goals.

Would be a good signing.

Supposedly Draper hasn't been at any of our training sessions the last 2 weeks and not present at either of our 2 friendly games. High chance he'll be loaned out soon or released. Could be coming your way again.

Edited by CoveRangers1922