Elgin City 2021-22

11 hours ago, Cowdenleith said:

Made my first visit to Elgin yesterday, fantastic compact stadium which is very well kept and tidy, everyone seemed very friendly, a great set up.

I thought a crowd of over 600 for essentially a meaningless game was tremendous, the potential is there for all to see if you were challenging for promotion.

Loved your announcer when he was reading out details of the mascots, went something like this;

’First mascot is Jimmy, aged 11, is an Elgin fan. Second mascot is Bobby, aged 5, who is unfortunately a Celtic fan’ 😂

Borough Briggs was always a tidy wee ground, as were most of the HL grounds I was at. (I wasn't at them all. mind.)

Much better than the Irish League grounds back in the early 70s, that was a culture shock and a half! (All changed, now, of course.)

In theory Elgin should essentially be a HL select team and be able to pick all the top players from that league supplemented by 1-2 players from further a field if required and what a very good team they would have if this was the case

As others have alluded to the inflated wages on offer & lack of desire to travel from the majority of  these players has prevented this from ever fully happening, which personally think is a shame, hopefully may change one day.

I dont know Gavin Price at all and he has done a decent job at Elgin but being Perth based cant be easy for training etc, especially the last couple of years with Covid restrictions.

On 24/04/2022 at 18:46, Thom & Gerry said:

I think they have been trying to get a more local core. In previous years the wages paid to the better HL players was inflated and out of Elgin’s budget. Nowadays I think they are more affordable but a lot of them are comfy in the HL and don’t want to be travelling to Stranraer, Annan etc. Not sure there are that many good enough HL players but was disappointed when Jack Brown went to Peterhead. I thought he was ideal for Elgin. I think the nucleus is there but need 3 quality players to compliment then. The likes of Soapy needs better players to play off. We definitely need the input of some central belt players as they are generally more street wise than us northerners. Definitely a big season for Elgin next year. Another season like this and we will be in trouble.

Think Jack Brown will do well for us & good to have him on a 2.5 year deal. We seem to have changed tack this season going for younger players a few which have come from the HFL. We had the same problem for quite a while in that local players that may have been good enough would not commit to travel the country, a good number have ended up at the Broch. We had to pay good wages to attract good players to travel to Peterhead & managed to support a team that won a championship a couple times. We had a board that at the time were able to fund this but have a great hospitality set up which must help. Why Elgin have not been able to progress is a mystery but we still have a few folk that moan about us not going higher but certainly the leagues are getting harder with league 1 being nearly half full time teams and in your league the likes of Kelty being the first of a few well financed teams coming through from the Lowland League. Like ourselves location makes training and everything harder ours is now split between Dundee & Glasgow

3 hours ago, peternapper said:

Think Jack Brown will do well for us & good to have him on a 2.5 year deal. We seem to have changed tack this season going for younger players a few which have come from the HFL. We had the same problem for quite a while in that local players that may have been good enough would not commit to travel the country, a good number have ended up at the Broch. We had to pay good wages to attract good players to travel to Peterhead & managed to support a team that won a championship a couple times. We had a board that at the time were able to fund this but have a great hospitality set up which must help. Why Elgin have not been able to progress is a mystery but we still have a few folk that moan about us not going higher but certainly the leagues are getting harder with league 1 being nearly half full time teams and in your league the likes of Kelty being the first of a few well financed teams coming through from the Lowland League. Like ourselves location makes training and everything harder ours is now split between Dundee & Glasgow

I was really keen for Elgin to sign Brown after he left Caley Thistle. Been impressed with Hamish Ritchie since his Keith days too. I believe he played for the same college team in the US as Lenny Wilson.

8 hours ago, afca32 said:

I was really keen for Elgin to sign Brown after he left Caley Thistle. Been impressed with Hamish Ritchie since his Keith days too. I believe he played for the same college team in the US as Lenny Wilson.

We also signed David Wilson who has been injured for a while & got Owen Cairns on loan from the Broch this season, at one stage the other year Jason Brown was the only player we had based in Aberdeen or North.

Yep. Said at the start of the season I thought we punched above our quality last season and we were no better than a mid table team. This year we have been unlucky with injuries to key players which has affected us but still say we are a mid table team at best. I hope the management realise this as the table doesn’t lie. I think there is a nucleus there but need at least 4 decent quality players in, in key positions.

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/04/2022 at 18:14, WeAreElgin said:

Thank f**k that season is over.

Indeed! Although I am really worried about next season already. Seem to be going in with the same management/core of players. Will need a massive shift of attitude and performance.

Along with the betting thing hanging over our heads. Losing Hester for a large number of games would be a disaster. And IF rumours are true that there was bets involved AGAINST Elgin I hope the players involved never pull on an Elgin shirt again no matter who it is.

What worries me is the silence from the club. While those around us are already making moves in terms of transfers we have nothing. No rumours, no gossip, nothing. Given we should be looking to strengthen in pretty much every area except goalkeeper, it isn't filling me with a huge amount of confidence. I know it's still early but I fantasise about Elgin showing a real statement of intent to demonstrate we're having a real go of it next year but it doesn't look like it's ever going to come.

It would be nice to have something to celebrate for the first time.

I’m sure the club knows who has been betting on their own clubs results and if the rumours are true some are already signed, so to get rid you would have to pay up the remainder of their contracts. 

Agree that we need an influx of decent players and it is worrying when you see other clubs signing players but as you say it’s early days. I’m sure we will be speaking to players and making them offers. I’m sure Elgin is not the number 1 destination for a number of these players who will have offers closer to home.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, gordon9736 said:

Jevan Anderson signed on 2yr deal. Well happy with that.

aye a thought he did pretty well when on loan to us seemed pretty solid so happy with that one 👍 just need another few signings and theyll probably be some loan signings