Elgin City 2021-22

16 hours ago, Thom & Gerry said:

Think I would have a look at the players. It makes a big difference to the club financially whether they finish 7th 8th or 9th but not the players, they get paid all the same. As far as the were concerned there was nothing to play for.

Severe lack of quality unless addressed its going to be a real struggle next season.

Totally agree. But Gavin Price is trying to tie most of that squad up again on new contracts. Players like Rabin Omar and Machedo who are nowhere near the standard required. So poor to watch them this season. At least in previous seasons if we lost a game at least we had a go. This season we lose games and play very poor style of football.

6 hours ago, percyboy said:
19 hours ago, Super Elgin City said:
Gavin Price out. That today was the final straw. Absolutely abysmal performance again. Clueless in all areas.

There needs to be a big clear out from top to bottom as there is no ambition just plodding along hoping we're not the worst team and getting relageted

You are 100% right. It needs to start from the chairman. Tatters is a grafter and tries his best but we need someone with a forward thinking buisness brain in that position. Morayshire is a very wealthy area. We really need to be tapping into that more.

You are 100% right. It needs to start from the chairman. Tatters is a grafter and tries his best but we need someone with a forward thinking buisness brain in that position. Morayshire is a very wealthy area. We really need to be tapping into that more.

Aberdeen is a much wealthier area, hasn’t helped the Dons though.

After 22 years Elgin really should have been challenging more than they have but they haven’t which is is really disappointing given the infrastructure they have in place.  They have become sort of ‘bed blockers’ of the league. 

I guess if you rely on inferior imports from the south then you will always be where you are.  Players will come as go without any real feeling for the club or attachment to the area.  In recent years who has been the two most consistent players for Elgin - arguably Soapy and Darryl - both Elgin based.  Why not encourage the youth and blend with local Highland league experienced players.  

Elgin have had a fright this year which would be best taken heed of otherwise the inevitable play off scrap will come and with ambitious teams ready to step up nothing is guaranteed.   

1 hour ago, Tonystenny said:

After 22 years Elgin really should have been challenging more than they have but they haven’t which is is really disappointing given the infrastructure they have in place.  They have become sort of ‘bed blockers’ of the league. 

I guess if you rely on inferior imports from the south then you will always be where you are.  Players will come as go without any real feeling for the club or attachment to the area.  In recent years who has been the two most consistent players for Elgin - arguably Soapy and Darryl - both Elgin based.  Why not encourage the youth and blend with local Highland league experienced players.  

Elgin have had a fright this year which would be best taken heed of otherwise the inevitable play off scrap will come and with ambitious teams ready to step up nothing is guaranteed.   

Pipe doon it took Stenny 73 years to get out of the bottom tier.

I think they have been trying to get a more local core. In previous years the wages paid to the better HL players was inflated and out of Elgin’s budget. Nowadays I think they are more affordable but a lot of them are comfy in the HL and don’t want to be travelling to Stranraer, Annan etc. Not sure there are that many good enough HL players but was disappointed when Jack Brown went to Peterhead. I thought he was ideal for Elgin. I think the nucleus is there but need 3 quality players to compliment then. The likes of Soapy needs better players to play off. We definitely need the input of some central belt players as they are generally more street wise than us northerners. Definitely a big season for Elgin next year. Another season like this and we will be in trouble.

1 hour ago, Thom & Gerry said:

I think they have been trying to get a more local core. In previous years the wages paid to the better HL players was inflated and out of Elgin’s budget. Nowadays I think they are more affordable but a lot of them are comfy in the HL and don’t want to be travelling to Stranraer, Annan etc. Not sure there are that many good enough HL players but was disappointed when Jack Brown went to Peterhead. I thought he was ideal for Elgin. I think the nucleus is there but need 3 quality players to compliment then. The likes of Soapy needs better players to play off. We definitely need the input of some central belt players as they are generally more street wise than us northerners. Definitely a big season for Elgin next year. Another season like this and we will be in trouble.

Are you not likely to lose Hester to the big hoose at some point as well?

He’ll take some replacing no?

1 hour ago, Thom & Gerry said:

I agree, i would like to see some highland league players making the step up. Unfortunately a weak Lossie, albeit they had a decent season doesnt offer much options to Elgin, Forres have a few but as said above they don't seem keen on the travelling involved. Sid Mackay i would imagine will have a lot of North based contacts which we could see making a difference next season. Not playing in the Under 20s league this season was a very strange one also. Was perfect for giving youth players experience.

never has been much push for ambition in the club i admire peterhead even though they've just reached league one they've had a bit of ambition and to me some of the players in the club dare i say just dont seem hungry enough maybe its due to when we started losing and going down the table and lacked confidence but still it seems to gone a bit stale so im hopeing to win the euromillions next week and il be the daddy o elgin city 🤞🏻😂

Made my first visit to Elgin yesterday, fantastic compact stadium which is very well kept and tidy, everyone seemed very friendly, a great set up.

I thought a crowd of over 600 for essentially a meaningless game was tremendous, the potential is there for all to see if you were challenging for promotion.

Loved your announcer when he was reading out details of the mascots, went something like this;

’First mascot is Jimmy, aged 11, is an Elgin fan. Second mascot is Bobby, aged 5, who is unfortunately a Celtic fan’ 😂

2 minutes ago, Cowdenleith said:

Made my first visit to Elgin yesterday, fantastic compact stadium which is very well kept and tidy, everyone seemed very friendly, a great set up.

I thought a crowd of over 600 for essentially a meaningless game was tremendous, the potential is there for all to see if you were challenging for promotion.

Loved your announcer when he was reading out details of the mascots, went something like this;

’First mascot is Jimmy, aged 11, is an Elgin fan. Second mascot is Bobby, aged 5, who is unfortunately a Celtic fan’ 😂

I heard that on the live stream.

suspect the boy has a leaning to the blue side as when reading their score referred to them as the Gers.

57 minutes ago, cityloon said:

never has been much push for ambition in the club i admire peterhead even though they've just reached league one they've had a bit of ambition and to me some of the players in the club dare i say just dont seem hungry enough maybe its due to when we started losing and going down the table and lacked confidence but still it seems to gone a bit stale so im hopeing to win the euromillions next week and il be the daddy o elgin city 🤞🏻😂

I have noticed that about the hunger aswell. That is arguably the most worrying this about this season. Ended up in complete apathy.

Also thought it was pretty poor that only Mathew Cooper even attempted to clap the fans yesterday in what was the last home game of the season, in which they have been very well backed and gave us virtually nothing to cheer about.

1 hour ago, cityloon said:

Peterhead had big backers in the Oul Industry. They are starting to struggle financially due to the oil downturn and the emergence of Cove. Agree things are a bit stale.

9 hours ago, Left Back said:

Yeah.  Once someone gets the finger out and puts him on trial I hear he hasn’t got a leg to stand on. Open and shut case.

It's dragged on for a fair bit all this has it not? Do you know when he is due up in court again?