The Fife v The Queens

So let's get down to the business of the league with a game against East Fife at Methil, a ground which in the past has supplied great joy but also great frustation. Thoughts on the outcome after what has been a fairly successful League Cup campaign which if we had our shooting boots on we may still have been a part of?

This should be a comfortable win for QP. We've regressed since last season, have a tonne of injuries leading to no creativity in the middle of the park and our best striker appears to have thrown the towel in (yet to know whether it's football in general or if its just football at East Fife after a fall out of some sort). 2-0 Queens, all aboard the relegation express!

Despite four good games in - just one goal against Airdrie would have got us through - it’s still hard to tell. All four opponents asked different questions and after a high against Motherwell, and half a high against Airdrie, we stooped to mediocre against Annan. But I’m sure they’ll all be up for this. Biggest room for improvement is composure in front of goal. At the back, Grant has a few weeks yet but would like Kilday back in. And if we’re going two up front, though I doubt it after the first 70 at Annan, it has to be Baynham and Murray.

This is a decent opening fixture for us. A win and clean sheet would be a great start.

I have never been less enthusiastic about a start to the season than this one, and many other Fife fans feel the same. The squad is lacking in many areas and rumours of trouble behind the scenes doesn’t bode well. Queens Park should win this quite comfortably I feel sadly.

Feeling really confident going into this season. From the betfred cup performances, there is a clear change in the brand of football played with more emphasis placed on passing the ball out from the back. Hopefully everyone will have returned from isolation/injury, minus Quitongo and Grant who may still be a while from returning. 

Muir 

Doyle                  Kilday                  Fox            Robson

Gillespie              Lyon 

Moore                             Brown                   Longridge 

Murray    

I have never been less enthusiastic about a start to the season than this one, and many other Fife fans feel the same. The squad is lacking in many areas and rumours of trouble behind the scenes doesn’t bode well. Queens Park should win this quite comfortably I feel sadly.
This, pretty much sums it up. After what can only be described as a pre-season shambles, I don't think I've dreaded a season as much as this one. Haven't really kept an eye out on how QP have been doing but it couldn't be anywhere near as bad. Away win 3-0. My first match back at Bayview so going to try and at least enjoy it as much as I can.

Always been reluctant to read too much into League Cup group games. Nobody really has the measure of how good or pish anyone else is. The fact that we have a good budget and full-time squad places an expectation on us that we’ve never known at League One level. I’m not even sure I got used to us going to League Two grounds as strong favourites!

Still think we’re a few short. I expect we’ll be bringing loans in once Premiership clubs have had a look at what they’ve got and who can go out. Felt we actually played better in the games we didn’t win, than the games we did, in the group sections, so it’s tough to really know what to make of that!

If we can match the performance levels of the Airdrie and Motherwell games and add a clinical edge, it’s a game we should certainly be looking to try and win. 

Always been reluctant to read too much into League Cup group games. Nobody really has the measure of how good or pish anyone else is. The fact that we have a good budget and full-time squad places an expectation on us that we’ve never known at League One level. I’m not even sure I got used to us going to League Two grounds as strong favourites!
Still think we’re a few short. I expect we’ll be bringing loans in once Premiership clubs have had a look at what they’ve got and who can go out. Felt we actually played better in the games we didn’t win, than the games we did, in the group sections, so it’s tough to really know what to make of that!
If we can match the performance levels of the Airdrie and Motherwell games and add a clinical edge, it’s a game we should certainly be looking to try and win. 

Fife for life. My eternal optimism being tested. I watched the League cup games on Tele. Please prove me wrong but we are really really gonna struggle.

An away win without any shadow of a doubt. Sadly we are in a terrible state at the moment with a Management that has went stale and a squad severely lacking in numbers and quality. The warning signs for me were evident last season and the absolutely incredible decision to reward mediocrity with a 2 year year contract will come back to bite us. 

Edited by Rob Smith

Scoring goals has obviously been our big problem but I'd be more worried if we weren't playing decent and creating loads. 

Defensively we look OK, despite key guys being missing, but it's about time the strikers took the pressure off our defence and started tucking away the multitude of chances.

I also feel we need more of a goal threat from midfield. Brown has been excellent but he's missed a couple. Hopefully Longridge is back. We've missed him.  

4 hours ago, qpfc said:

Feeling really confident going into this season. From the betfred cup performances, there is a clear change in the brand of football played with more emphasis placed on passing the ball out from the back. Hopefully everyone will have returned from isolation/injury, minus Quitongo and Grant who may still be a while from returning. 

Muir 

Murray    

Agree with that selection (considering those available or close to it). Expect Biggar to start though. Lyon is definitely preferred to Davidson in the middle. Kilday is better than Morison. I'm fearful that McHugh will get more minutes this year than Baynham which is a shame, need to see how it plays out.  

QP win 1-0 with a bunch of sitters missed. 

Hoping to get a boost when the team sheet is posted if we have a few players back. Noticed Lee Kilday, Louis Longridge and Darren Lyon in the training photos from Friday which was good and I gather Will Baynham was back in training yesterday. 

Didn’t see Charlie Fox in the photos but wouldn’t be surprised if he was doing some sort of tailored fitness plan given he was late joining the squad and wasn’t expected to have had to play the full 90 against Airdrie.

As long as we don’t have any last minute Covid isolations then I am fairly confident 

12 hours ago, qpfc said:

Muir 

Murray    

8 hours ago, QPSpider1867 said:

Agree with that selection (considering those available or close to it). Expect Biggar to start though. Lyon is definitely preferred to Davidson in the middle. Kilday is better than Morison. I'm fearful that McHugh will get more minutes this year than Baynham which is a shame, need to see how it plays out.  

QP win 1-0 with a bunch of sitters missed. 

Well, it should be a QP win, however I can't be alone in worrying that everyone (& their dugs) assume we will stroll this.

To stroll games you need to put the ball in the net & that has not happened too often so far this season. 

I agree with both the above posters: that line up looks decent but I do think Biggar deserves a chance - he's looked good so far & I'm sure I heard somewhere we're supposed to be all about developing players...

I'd also like to see Baynham being given a run in the team to see if he is the real deal.

However if we pop Baynham & Biggar in, its hard to know who to leave out.

So, given the defence has looked pretty solid, Wullie is hard to beat, & surely someone will trickle one in via a deflection I'll go for a nervy 1-0 to the Spiders.

After a quite dismal first half l, I guess a point isn’t such a bad result.

Second half we had loads of the ball but little cutting edge. I really think we need to strengthen in the wide areas. Although Calumn Biggar did well to win the corner for the goal, it is still not the best position for him.I was also quite disappointed in Lewis Moore’s performance today. Several times he was in a great position but either the decision making or execution was really poor. Hopefully Louis Longridge gets back to full fitness soon.

Charlie Fox was a bit ropey in the first half but was excellent in the second. Think he will be a real asset once he gets up to full fitness.

Grant Gillespie was really good, particularly in the second half but I’m not yet sure if Jake Davidson is the right man to play alongside him. The guy on loan from Rangers seems to play that position so a bit of competition in there now with Darren Lyon also back.

We are still suffering from injuries. Longridge, Kilday and Baynham are big misses considering the long term injuries to two key players. How we miss Jai at the moment. I have no issue with trying to develop youth and we have some very promising talent but they are not yet ready to be pitched into League 1 and be expected to compete with the experience they will come up against. Our squad is not what I expected for this league but heh ho. We did draw our first game last season and won the league at a canter so maybe this is an omen.

Gutsy performance from the boys this afternoon. Despite having not too much in reserve on the bench I thought we put in a terrific shift. 

Special plaudits to Danny Denholm, Ross Dunlop, Pat Slattery, Scott Mercer and Shaun Brown. Hopefully Stewart Murdoch and Aaron Dunsmore will be ready for action next week. 

Queens clearly had an advantage in the quality of player with Brown miles ahead of anyone else on the pitch.SimonMurray did not impress.

The East Fife players gave absolutely everything effort wise but even allowing for the injuries ,the club badly need some quality signings.

Sure  Everyone at the club knows that.

25 minutes ago, Cosmic Joe said:

Gutsy performance from the boys this afternoon. Despite having not too much in reserve on the bench I thought we put in a terrific shift. 

Special plaudits to Danny Denholm, Ross Dunlop, Pat Slattery, Scott Mercer and Shaun Brown. Hopefully Stewart Murdoch and Aaron Dunsmore will be ready for action next week. 

I see you didn’t mention Davidson amongst the injured. Anyone know what is wrong with him???
ps team battled away very well today and got a hard earned point but they can’t keep this up week in week out. Need quality additions to the squad asap