Motherwell v Hibernian

Guid game, a draw would have been fair but if any team were to win Hibs probably just shaded it on the second half.

Ref was atrocious both ways but we’re always that little bit less streetwise when it comes to it.

KVV is excellent value and will get many yellow cards this year.

Limited evidence so far but from what I've seen we seem to have more of a plan in attack than last season.

Couldn't really say what the plan was last season, some great passages of play without anything happening, or rather spawny periods where we ended up with a goal for some reason - multiplied by 40 games or so. For whatever reason I never really felt Newell and Irvine combined, and Gogic is fairly hit and miss with his contributions at either end of the pitch.

Magennis in for Irvine seems to be working well thus far, and that little passage of playing involving Doyle-Hayes before the penalty is what I've dreamt of watching at Hibs for a long time. Heard Campbell coming in with a couple of goals for Edinburgh City on Open All Mics last season so good to see him back too. Thought he was a defensive midfielder but seemingly can play on the wings too, good to have that versatility and it seems Ross has a good bit of faith in him.

Up front I thought they all played well, Nisbet in particular for his involvement in the goals. Had thought we'd been playing better with two wingers and Nisbet so was surprised to see Doidge on, but to see him get his goal on the first day was delightful.

All in all I've clearly enjoyed myself, and took great enjoyment in seeing Ross beaming away with the players and the fans at the end of the game. Disappointed to see Doig probably leaving today but Louis was solid today and we're clearly getting a decent deal if Mathie's previous comments about what it will take to make us sell are anything to go by. Exciting to see if this has any influence on what we do with the rest of our window, and rather hope that its the last of our outgoings too for that matter.  

Edited by Chefki Kuqi

Throughly enjoyable game of fitba, that. Had everything for my first game back in 18 months apart from the ideal result. 

Hibs are a very good side, and following the recent Airdrie debacle, we matched them for most of that game. We'll be alright this season. 

As i said earlier, Slattery will be an excellent player when fully up to speed. Another midfielder will be excellent alongside him and Donnelly. 

Plenty has been said about van Veen already. Looks to be an excellent addition and looking forward to his many tricks, goals and red cards this season. Disappointed in Woolery today, heightened by his piss poor effort when through on goal at 2-2. 

All in all, a great afternoon. Great Hibs support through and a good home crowd.  The seethe from those around me after it went 3-2 and the Hibs goalie wasting time, Cerny-esq (when Kelly was doing it at every available opportunity when we were ahead), was brilliant! :lol: it's great to be home. 

A great advert for the cinch. Scottish Football is unrivalled. 

We went out for a late lunch so this was the perfect match for the neutral after roast lamb, a carafe of Chateau le Pub and a large dram.

Hibs worth the win but by Christ they were hard work at times.  My tipping them for second place may be optimistic if they can;t sort out that defence.

M'well were schizoid.  Sometimes playing some tidy football and then having passages of blood and snotters hoofball.  Being shite at the back didn't help them.

Over all?  An enjoyable 90 minutes and a 6 for Hibs and a 5 for M'well.  For reference, I gave us a 7 yesterday.

4 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

We went out for a late lunch so this was the perfect match for the neutral after roast lamb, a carafe of Chateau le Pub and a large dram.

Hibs worth the win but by Christ they were hard work at times.  My tipping them for second place may be optimistic if they can;t sort out that defence.

M'well were schizoid.  Sometimes playing some tidy football and then having passages of blood and snotters hoofball.  Being shite at the back didn't help them.

Over all?  An enjoyable 90 minutes and a 6 for Hibs and a 5 for M'well.  For reference, I gave us a 7 yesterday.

hqdefault.jpg

That was a brilliant game to watch. Frustrating as f**k at both Well goals, especially the second one, but we came good in the end. I enjoyed the fact that both teams were attacking, proper end to end stuff and there was always the chance of another goal. 
van Veen was deserved man of the match - he was a constant problem for our defence, I was very impressed with him. From a Hibs point of view, Magennis looked like the player I’ve been hoping he’ll turn out to be, and Nisbet was superb. 

We looked a bit better than I expected today and competed well for the most part, in a really enjoyable high tempo game.

Woolery, a few decent runs apart disappointed a bit, no more so than his piss poor effort in the 1 v 1.

Amaluzor, when he came on, did a lot of running about, but most of it seemed to be away from the general direction of play . He hit the byeline once and put in a decent ball, but seemed to be trying to hide in plain sight and avoid taking the ball. This years Seedorf I think.

Hibs look a very decent side, their keeper apart. Boy looks a massive downgrade from Marciano or the likes.

For us, Big Kev is going to be da top boi obvs.

10 minutes ago, 'WellDel said:

Marciano or the likes.

"The likes"? 🤣.

Some of the flak thrown at Hibs goalies down the years has been unjustified but I'm coming up to pensionable age and the only decent ones we've had have been Rough, Burridge & Leighton, who'd played about 2,000 1st team games between them when they joined... and "The Goalie", who was on another planet, but describing him as "decent" could provoke a reaction😒.

Anyhoooo... 

Rijeka (2 wins from 2) about to kickoff at Dinamo Zagreb, who somehow contrived to lose 2-0 to Slaven Belupo in their opening home game. 

9/20 Dinamo, 13/2 Rijeka, 10/3 draw.

I can't believe I'm sad enough to watch this.

Firstly - I fucking *loved* being back at a real game - LC groups are shite really but today was proper. We've been lucky to get the nod for 6.5k from NLC but it made it a great atmosphere.

My biggest fear going into this was that playing Hibs was too early a test for us as we try to get up to speed and so it ultimately proved as they just about deserved the win. That said, until Slattery tired, our midfield 3 competed well (which was a bonus I wasn't expecting today) and we looked decent going forward. The goals we lost were all disappointing in different ways but told of a bit of a soft centre, which was always going to be an issue against a really good attacking team.

If we can get some minutes in the legs of Donnelly and Slattery, we have the basis of a good midfield there, hopefully another addition to come in there - and getting Ojala up to speed and into the heart of the defence is a priority.

Van Veen was just fucking excellent - he raised his game way above what we've seen so far and will be total box office for us - my type of player. He was totally burst at the end - it's a pity that Woolery didn't hit the heights today as that little reverse pass by KVV to put him in was <chef's kiss>.

Is it possible to be quite content after losing despite being ahead twice? Yes, yes it is.

2 hours ago, Desp said:

Throughly enjoyable game of fitba, that. Had everything for my first game back in 18 months apart from the ideal result. 

Hibs are a very good side, and following the recent Airdrie debacle, we matched them for most of that game. We'll be alright this season. 

As i said earlier, Slattery will be an excellent player when fully up to speed. Another midfielder will be excellent alongside him and Donnelly. 

Plenty has been said about van Veen already. Looks to be an excellent addition and looking forward to his many tricks, goals and red cards this season. Disappointed in Woolery today, heightened by his piss poor effort when through on goal at 2-2. 

All in all, a great afternoon. Great Hibs support through and a good home crowd.  The seethe from those around me after it went 3-2 and the Hibs goalie wasting time, Cerny-esq (when Kelly was doing it at every available opportunity when we were ahead), was brilliant! :lol: it's great to be home. 

A great advert for the cinch. Scottish Football is unrivalled. 

Agree with pretty much all of that. Hibs will have another very good season and I also think we will do ok. A really good game of football with plenty of quality which is sadly often missing in the top flight of Scottish football. I though over the 90 minutes Hibs just shaded it but a draw would not have been a travesty by any means. Van Veen is an instant crowd favourite ( it won’t be dull watching him for sure) but I’ve massive hope for Slattery who could well go on to be the next player moving on for big money, he ran out of steam but you could see very early on he’s got real technical ability.

3 hours ago, Leith Green said:

According to Sky today, since Ross started the only teams to take more points are Rangers and Celtic.

Other sides need to up their game - Sheep and Jambos specifically - to stop us being 3rd. 

Was this factoid not about Alexander?