Motherwell v Hibernian

Someone who has played no minutes to start this one, Bevis or the Finnish boy.  Other than that get 6 or 7 of the better performers on the pitch and pad out with anyone who made two passes in the League Cup games.

A ding dong 2-2 with no need for water breaks. 

My first game of football is almost 18 months.  The first game of a new league season.  A healthy away support.  I am absolutely buzzing for kick-off in this one.

Motherwell 0-3 Hibernian...

Fitba is back, baby!

Annoyed I can’t make this, made other plans assuming it’d be home fans only on the assumption of “I’ll watch it on sky anyway”

Major FOMO now - am I right in saying Motherwell haven’t been too convincing in the same fixtures every season cup?

Hopefully we rest players against the Andorran Karate Club on Thursday to have them fresh for this.

Beautiful bars of Motherwell, we’ll meet again someday.

For those who are planning to go to the game, it's a 16:30 kick off on Sunday August 1st. Trains from Edinburgh to motherwell are going to be either limited or not running at all due to strikes.

Parking is typical for a Motherwell game. There is no Staidum parking (Apart for the school area which won't be available for most people. You should look and plan ahead before leaving as it has been nearly 1.5 years potentially for most people.

Pity this is on the Sunday.

As other have said though.  Feels like a real game. A noisy crowd of home and Away fans. This will feel like the return of Fitba.

As good as it was to be back at FP the games felt a bit flat due to a lack of atmosphere.

3-0 Motherwell. KVV hat trick

58 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

58 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Pity this is on the Sunday.

As other have said though.  Feels like a real game. A noisy crowd of home and Away fans. This will feel like the return of Fitba.

As good as it was to be back at FP the games felt a bit flat due to a lack of atmosphere.

3-0 Motherwell. KVV hat trick

I thought the atmosphere in the first half against QoS was decent, then we went 2-0 down, then we lost to Airdrie, by Saturday the team was getting nothing from the crowd until they performed.

Edited by ropy

When the bookies chalked up prices on the opening fixtures six weeks ago, I  reckoned Hibs would sign only 2 or 3 more players but 'Well would be in for 8 or 10 by opening day. I shrewdly lobbed £50 at 'Well at 19/10. They're now 23/10🤣.

For all the thrills and spills of this fixture down the years, the game I recall most clearly was the opening game of the season in 1999. Hibs unfurled the "Division #1" flag.  Being carried along by the party atmosphere, but not taken-in by the hype, I had a fiver on a "mug punter" scorecast of Dirk "Diggler" Lehmann 1st goal and a 2-2 draw. I wasn't best pleased with wee sixth year truant Stevie Nicholas nicking an equaliser in the 91st minute, but the £300-odd eased the sting slightly.

Hibs are CLEAR favourites to win this game. Based on league performance from last season and also pre season form. 

I mean beating Arsenal to our below average performances in the League Cup group stage.  We may have scraped through but the comeback v QOS apart we have been very poor. Our defence allowing lower division teams glaring opportunities does not bode well for this game. 

Alexander strategy of waiting to get players in will hopefully pay dividends for overall league performance and future years (time will tell) but at the moment we appear to have a team made up of unfit players, injured players and new players who are both not fit and yet to gain an understanding of how we play. 

They may yet surprise us and we often gone into games as the form team and lost. But I cannot see past an away win by a couple of goals. Only way to stop this from happening is if I back Hibs 🤔 Then we are at least guaranteed a point 🤞

I can’t see anything other than a Hibs win. We are still weak in central defence and in midfield and our goal threat isn’t anywhere near as good as Hibernians’.

We’ve still to make a few signings that will help us going forward.

19 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

I can’t see anything other than a Hibs win. We are still weak in central defence and in midfield and our goal threat isn’t anywhere near as good as Hibernians’.

We’ve still to make a few signings that will help us going forward.

I think it depends on what Alexander does here in so much as none of the teams that limped through the LC Group games are what I'd have said were our "best" XI (and I use "best" very loosely). It was always some mix and match to give players minutes while the 343 against Annan was a total curveball.

We've already ruled out Bevis, O'Hara and Grimshaw so does he chuck Slattery in to midfield now he's actually met his teammates? Assuming Big Juhani signs does he start? The original report from Denmark suggesting he was over here was July 15th so he'll have been here for a while if that was accurate.

Based on those who are signed (and fit) at the moment this is probably our "strongest" XI IMO:

Kelly
O'Donnell O'Connor Lamie Carroll
Slattery Donnelly Maguire
Woolery Van Veen Watt

Hibs win.

I think it depends on what Alexander does here in so much as none of the teams that limped through the LC Group games are what I'd have said were our "best" XI (and I use "best" very loosely). It was always some mix and match to give players minutes while the 343 against Annan was a total curveball.
We've already ruled out Bevis, O'Hara and Grimshaw so does he chuck Slattery in to midfield now he's actually met his teammates? Assuming Big Juhani signs does he start? The original report from Denmark suggesting he was over here was July 15th so he'll have been here for a while if that was accurate.
Based on those who are signed (and fit) at the moment this is probably our "strongest" XI IMO:
Kelly
O'Donnell O'Connor Lamie Carroll
Slattery Donnelly Maguire
Woolery Van Veen Watt
Hibs win.

That’s the team I’d go with as well.

Can’t help but feel if we were splashing the cash a couple of decent additions this summer would have been Oddofin and Tanser. Both available on pre-contracts and both with very decent SPFL stats.

Slattery will make a difference but Lamie and left back position still shaky. We should have more confidence in our international right back but we don’t.

Hibs stronger in most positions and Boyle has some of the best numbers out with the OF (recent FF digging has revealed that). McGinn and Nisbet not far behind.

We could show up on song and play like we did at Easter Road in April and I’d be more optimistic if our performances over the past month had been higher.

Hibs win but won’t be easy for them.

Edited by Kapowzer

I’m expecting a Hibs win by a couple of goals. I like the way we’re now looking at bringing in potentially better quality players but it’s certainly leaving us behind the curve early in the season.

37 minutes ago, Lyle Lanley said:

Hibs announcing no catering available tomorrow but plenty bottles of water available. 

Pretty sure it won't be bottles of water but cups which can be filled/refuelled through numerous water coolers within the stand. You should also be able to bring in drinks and snacks as long as they are not glass bottles or cans.