NRJFA Leagues

GNU_Linux

All North Junior games postponed this weekend ahead of the predicted gales. Perhaps some games could be played but does save the hassle on a Saturday morning and plenty time to fit games in.

Be intersting to see if Banks o Dee v East Fife goes ahead especially being on a 3G with the wind

2 hours ago, tellyboy said:

All North Junior games postponed this weekend ahead of the predicted gales. Perhaps some games could be played but does save the hassle on a Saturday morning and plenty time to fit games in.

Be intersting to see if Banks o Dee v East Fife goes ahead especially being on a 3G with the wind

Wind's supposed to drop mid afternoon so they might get away with it.

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

BOD winning 6-1 after half an hour so far. 

I recently calculated on another forum that Banks o'Dee are on course to play 65 competitive games this season... even assuming they exit to Raith and having already lost in Junior Cup R3:

26x league matches
   4x round-robin games
   2x playoff legs

5x Scottish Cup ties (currently at R4)
   4x Aberdeenshire Cup ties (winners)
   4x Aberdeenshire Shield ties (currently at SFs)

3x Scottish Junior Cup ties (lost in R3)
   6x North & Tayside Junior Cup ties (currently at R3)
   5x North Junior Cup ties (currently at QFs)
   6x North Junior League Cup ties (currently at QFs)

Tonight is #31 so they could yet still be shy of halfway.

For context the Scottish (and indeed European) record at top-tier level is only slightly higher at 70 games.

Auchinleck are also on course for 65 assuming they lose to Hearts, but at least that includes 38 league matches and involves reaching all cup finals.

Aye the what was previously the North Juniors have a ridiculous amount of cups. I think BOD played 5 or 6 cup games in a row recently.  They won 11-1 tonight. 

25 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Most of the cups in the North are just the same teams playing each other as in the Leagues which seems a bit boring. They should mix it up a bit and we'd all get a few new away days.

Best bet might be the attempt at a national non-league cup, as I don't see a revival of the North Challenge Cup happening since the North Region & Midlands stayed Junior. 

North being in a bit of sweet spot for some diversity: Junior, Inter-League with Midlands, access to the Aberdeenshire for most of them, and SFA membership to seek. 

At least the Aberdeenshire competitions look like adding the odd club for now. 

1 minute ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Best bet might be the attempt at a national non-league cup, as I don't see a revival of the North Challenge Cup happening since the North Region & Midlands stayed Junior. 

North being in a bit of sweet spot for some diversity: Junior, Inter-League with Midlands, access to the Aberdeenshire for most of them, and SFA membership to seek. 

At least the Aberdeenshire competitions look like adding the odd club for now. 

The North Cup gets the odd NCL club in it, not sure if there aren't many takers or if the guest list is very tight. Golspie were in the draw this year but they dropped out for unknown reasons. Halkirk were in it recently. Still looking for an away tie in Orkney.

6 hours ago, welshbairn said:

The North Cup gets the odd NCL club in it, not sure if there aren't many takers or if the guest list is very tight. Golspie were in the draw this year but they dropped out for unknown reasons. Halkirk were in it recently. Still looking for an away tie in Orkney.

I figured with the North of Scotland FA that NCL clubs have had the chance to be part of it if they wanted. Whereas there has been the growing trend in the Aberdeenshire & District FA with Dyce, Stonehaven, and Hermes joining the last couple of years. Joining the mix of Banks O'Dee and Aberdeen University. 

If Bridge of Don Thistle are as ambitious as some make out, do they and the likes of Culter try and keep up with the Joneses as it were.

13 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

A few North clubs hoping to see the back of BoD after this season! 

Will definitely be more competitive when they do get promoted. Have no idea how good East Craigie in the ML are.

16 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Will definitely be more competitive when they do get promoted. Have no idea how good East Craigie in the ML are.

East Craigie currently not licensed & nothing to suggest they are pursuing it at this time. Of the teams in contention for the title Lochee United are the only one known to be pursuing licensing.

18 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

I don't think East Craigie are doing anything to get licensed, no floodlights or covered stand. Ah, missed @GNU_Linux posting the same.

Anyone know what happens if they win and a licensed club is second? No club in the playoffs?

Just now, welshbairn said:

I don't think East Craigie are doing anything to get licensed, no floodlights or covered stand. Ah, missed @GNU_Linux posting the same.

Anyone know what happens if they win and a licensed club is second? No club in the playoffs?

I believe if there is only one licensed champion the tier 6 champions would still play their games against each other. 

Regardless of the result the one licensed champion would playoff against bottom of the HL. 

18 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

I believe if there is only one licensed champion the tier 6 champions would still play their games against each other. 

Regardless of the result the one licensed champion would playoff against bottom of the HL. 

They should make a Cup for it in it's own right, otherwise it will be a bit of a farce if Golspie don't win either. Champions of the North Cup or something.

Edited by welshbairn

33 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

They should make a Cup for it in it's own right, otherwise it will be a bit of a farce if Golspie don't win either. Champions of the North Cup or something.

I wouldn't mind a bit of a farce, since it would hopefully create some debate over changing the playoff format. The main thing the Highland area needs though is some depth of licenced clubs.

The East Region handbook can be found in here which has the Highland Pyramid Playoff rules in it. https://www.scottishjuniorfa.com/scottish-junior-fa/resources/constitution-and-rules/

Section III deals with the eligibility of the clubs.

image.png.95932bee718c4442b44d49d15ea8ed6f.png

image.png.04a91ef0d661515429542d86b2b880cd.png

Fortunately there is a liaison group, as I suppose they could scrap the play-off if only BOD are eligible - especially if there's fixture congestion - as it seems a bit pointless for the three winners to play each other with no reward.