NRJFA Leagues

GNU_Linux

Just now, LongTimeLurker said:

Are you sure about that? There are 14 teams so there are 26 games overall and Culter can still reach 61 point while BoD currently have 49 unless I am missing something.

Oh shite, I must've confused myself with the "4" in 14 and thought they only had 4 games left. :oops

That was a worrying result for BoD against their apparent equvalent in the Midland League.  A Raith Rovers hangover?  Or are East Cragie basically a HL winning quality outfit? 

17 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

That was a worrying result for BoD against their apparent equvalent in the Midland League.  A Raith Rovers hangover?  Or are East Cragie basically a HL winning quality outfit? 

They got knocked out of the Junior Cup by Lochee United as well. If in the unlikely event of them failing to beat Fort 2.0/bottom HL side, they could struggle to make the play off next year with a couple of Midland clubs at least heading for licencing.

12 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

They got knocked out of the Junior Cup by Lochee United as well. If in the unlikely event of them failing to beat Fort 2.0/bottom HL side, they could struggle to make the play off next year with a couple of Midland clubs at least heading for licencing.

Yep, albeit it a 1 goal defeat away from home.  Can we assume East Craigie won't be licenced in time and it'll be BOD v FW? I can't see Golspie winning the North Caley to make it a play off.

1 minute ago, TheScarf said:

Yep, albeit it a 1 goal defeat away from home.  Can we assume East Craigie won't be licenced in time and it'll be BOD v FW? I can't see Golspie winning the North Caley to make it a play off.

Apparently East Craigie have zero chance of getting licensed and they're making no efforts to improve their ground. The only real doubt is whether Fort's new recruits allow them to leapfrog Strathspey Thistle or Turriff, they've got an easier run of fixtures coming up so we should know for sure by the end of this month.

4 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Probably not on the last bit but the top couple of Tayside clubs (usually Lochee United, Carnoustie Panmure or Tayport going further back and more recently Broughty Athletic) were always solid east superleague quality and well ahead of the north region in terms of SJC performance so a few HL clubs may be in for a rude awakening over the next few years where the playoff is concerned.

Dundee area junior clubs pioneered floodlight use and tend to have properly enclosed grounds so licensing is easier to do for them than their counterparts in and around Aberdeen. East Craigie are having an unusually good season and may struggle to keep their team together as they have historically been one of the smaller clubs.

BoD have barely laid a glove on Dundee teams the past few years. However, its inconceivable they don't go up this year.

Even if they didn't there won't be an infinite conveyor belt of good Dundee teams. 

There's 4 big clubs but really only ever a max of 2 who are any good at any one time. 

East Craigie is one of these rare things in football these days where a small team don't break the bank but just recruit well and it clicks.

10 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

BoD have barely laid a glove on Dundee teams the past few years. However, its inconceivable they don't go up this year.

Even if they didn't there won't be an infinite conveyor belt of good Dundee teams. 

There's 4 big clubs but really only ever a max of 2 who are any good at any one time. 

East Craigie is one of these rare things in football these days where a small team don't break the bank but just recruit well and it clicks.

Indeed, with East Craigie looking odd on to win the Midland, this is the best chance they'll have for a while.

I wonder if there's a bit of the big fish syndrome with BO'D against the Dundee teams. They're streets ahead of the opposition week to week in the league so when they play against clubs of a similar stature they just aren't used to controlling the play. The midlands league has quite a disparity in quality but there's about a half dozen(?) or so teams that are able to take points off one another at the top. 

20 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

I wonder if there's a bit of the big fish syndrome with BO'D against the Dundee teams. They're streets ahead of the opposition week to week in the league so when they play against clubs of a similar stature they just aren't used to controlling the play. The midlands league has quite a disparity in quality but there's about a half dozen(?) or so teams that are able to take points off one another at the top. 

That's definitely the case, however BoD have proven time and again that they can also absolutely leather 95% of the Highland League too.  My parents live in the same street as a Nairn County player who was playing when BoD hounded them in the Scottish Cup earlier in the season and he told them they were 'ridiculous' and 'how are they not in the Highland League'.

I guess it proves a lot of the ML would leather the HL teams too.  This is why the pyramid is fucking brilliant, the cream will rise, eventually, probably no where near as fast as we would all like, given there's laughably no automatic relegation from League 2 or the HL.

BoD will take there place in the HL next season and like Brechin will give it a shot in the arm......

As a supporter of a HL club who is likely to suffer at their hands I welcome the challenge regardless,hopefully they dont have the toonser big I am attitude that Cove had.........

Banks O'Dee vs Nairn was one of the most one sided games I've ever seen in the flesh. I think they could have easily had double figures if they fancied it.

Nairn are normally beaten fairly comfortably when they face the top HL teams (see tomorrow vs Buckie) but BoD seemed on another level to the likes of Fraserburgh and Brora.

I see Banks of Dee are playing St Ninian in a cup tie tomorrow. That'll be another double digit score.

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

My parents live in the same street as a Nairn County player who was playing when BoD hounded them in the Scottish Cup earlier in the season and he told them they were 'ridiculous' and 'how are they not in the Highland League'.

They were offered a place when Cove were promoted and declined it, saying that the summer wasn't long enough to organise coach travel for away games.

Just now, welshbairn said:

They were offered a place when Cove were promoted and declined it, saying that the summer wasn't long enough to organise coach travel for away games.

The heck?

17 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Didn't they take the huff with the HL after Formartine, Turriff and Strathspey all got elected ahead of them?

Aye, there are arguments about why but my memory of it was that they didn't get their paper work done on time and thought they would cruise in without making a pitch.

5 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Aye, there are arguments about why but my memory of it was that they didn't get their paper work done on time and thought they would cruise in without making a pitch.

Haven't both these explanations... that they hadn't applied properly, and they didn't do a Powerpoint presentation before the vote... been shown to be myths?

At the time all the hullabaloo was that Formartine and Turiff got preferred to BoD because they weren't as strong.

(There was a gentleman's agreement to admit 1x North club: so Strathspey were already stick-ons).

BoD already had stand and lights... others didn't. BoD already entered Aberdeenshire Cup + Shield (indeed finalists that season) and U20s... others didn't. BoD had humped several HL sides in Scottish Cup. Yet with 4 clubs going for 3 places BoD came 4th.

League records were:

Banks o'Dee
2006-07     3rd in North Junior Superleague
2007-08     champions of North Junior Superleague
2008-09     champions of North Junior Superleague

Turriff
2006-07     5th in North Junior Superleague
2007-08     7th in North Junior Superleague
2008-09     12th in North Junior Superleague

Formartine
2006-07     7th in North Junior Superleague
2007-08     13th in North Junior Superleague = relegated