Arbroath vs Caley Thistle

Just now, stan3600 said:

Heresy alert. When Henderson played in place of TOB we passed the ball out from the back and had a lot more control. Today we played too many punts upfield. It’s poor football at the best of time, but with two big lads up front who don’t head the ball it’s stupid.

This also tends to happen far, far more often when we've got 2 up top to 'aim for'. Without having a fifth man in midfield, it's far harder to have something dropping short in enough space to receive the ball, results in our wide midfielders being further inside and less of an out ball and results in quite often the only option being the long one.

14 minutes ago, SimonLichtie said:

I feel like all the things we learnt today are positive, but we still insist on doing things that disadvantage ourselves, but none of this is new.

Mikey McKenna cannot play on the right hand side in a 4-4-2, as positionally he's miles off it and offers no protection going backwards. Like our other attacking players, he suits a 4-5-1 where he can be the third midfielder and have a more free role. We had Nouble having to cover the right hand side a whole host of times in the first half where Mikey had decided to run 50 yards after the ball and leave a huge opening.

When we play a 4-4-2, we negate our best attacking options, and we end up being less of an attacking threat than when we play a 4-5-1. We've known this since 2018 FFS.

We need to stop with the insistence in taking Bobby Linn off after an hour. Our main attacking threat/ outlet not on the park when we're on the offensive and needing a goal is ridiculous.

However, as I say, none of this is new information. All the stuff we learnt today was positive, it's just extremely frustrating that in my opinion we keep making the same obvious mistakes and hinder ourselves.

Yeah McKenna Motm last week playing  that central role then gets put right side of the 4 🤷‍♂️ Absolutely mental we keep making same silly selections. But then we are a winger down cause he’s playing fullback so 

Edited by SmokeyJoe

11 minutes ago, SimonLichtie said:

I feel like all the things we learnt today are positive, but we still insist on doing things that disadvantage ourselves, but none of this is new.

Mikey McKenna cannot play on the right hand side in a 4-4-2, as positionally he's miles off it and offers no protection going backwards. Like our other attacking players, he suits a 4-5-1 where he can be the third midfielder and have a more free role. We had Nouble having to cover the right hand side a whole host of times in the first half where Mikey had decided to run 50 yards after the ball and leave a huge opening.

When we play a 4-4-2, we negate our best attacking options, and we end up being less of an attacking threat than when we play a 4-5-1. We've known this since 2018 FFS.

We need to stop with the insistence in taking Bobby Linn off after an hour. Our main attacking threat/ outlet not on the park when we're on the offensive and needing a goal is ridiculous.

However, as I say, none of this is new information. All the stuff we learnt today was positive, it's just extremely frustrating that in my opinion we keep making the same obvious mistakes and hinder ourselves.

Exact same happened start of last season in Kirkcaldy. Hilson and Donnelly upfront. McKenna right wing and Bobby never even started he came on after an hour.

Bobby Linn is a match winner, only one we have got, someone who can do something from nothing. Plus he stretches the game, carries the ball well and looks most likely to score a goal. Leave him on and let him have a lighter session Monday or something if he really needs it (don’t think he does looks fit as f**k).

23 hours ago, alternative maryhill said:

Normally love an away day in Arbroath, but I won't be heading up to this as it's my birthday and I'm being taken out for lunch by my wife. Planning to get home in time to watch the stream though. If we play anywhere near as badly as we did against Cove Rangers, I'm going to write to the club and demand that they send me one of Billy Dodds' ears as compensation for ruining my birthday. 

You seriously think the club can stretch to the carriage on one of those items?

I really think we blew a good chance of 3 points today. Caley were there for the taking. LD and Nouble up front together didn’t work and should have been changed early to get another body in midfield. We can’t afford to squander points like that.

Should never had lost today - practically nothing between the two teams.

It will take time for DC to decide on a settled starting 11 - he is still trying out different formations ( some work, some don't).

Think a draw would have been a fair result - but football does not always work that way.

50 minutes ago, The Mantis said:

You seriously think the club can stretch to the carriage on one of those items?

I like to think that the club saw that post and that the economic realities of having to pay the carriage on the ear inspired the team to grind out the win.

Slightly surprised by how much criticism Arbroath are getting on here, given that they were the better team over the piece. There probably were too many long balls - from both teams, tbf - and the early substitution of Linn was a surprise, as he caused David Carson a lot of problems in the first half, but I thought Arbroath were generally quicker and more inventive than ICT up front, and we were hanging on pretty desperately at the end. Nouble, as a few people have mentioned, was excellent; looks like a really exciting signing.

For us, the midfield two looked like they understood their roles better than against Cove, with Allardice driving forward more and McAlear sitting, and the communication between the two looked better; Walsh caused the Arbroath defence problems, although his final ball was disappointing, as @sophia  has pointed out, and it looked like the team in general was treating him too much as our final out-ball  rather than getting McGregor involved (this improved a bit at the start of the second half, tbf); Duku worked hard throughout and Sutherland took his goal beautifully, but I'd like to have seen Sutherland and McGregor switching from time to time, to see if McGregor could drop deep and provide a better link between midfield and attack; Devine looked calm and assured, and was the most convincing of our defenders. 

Finally, I really hope that Billy Dodds is not going to make trying to defend a 1-0 lead a core strategy going forward, as we struggled with it today and just don't have players with the combination of pace, physical presence and composure to carry it off consistently; even within my cocoon of lunchtime booze, I found the last 15 minutes absolutely excruciating.     

Edited by alternative maryhill

Inverness could easily have been ahead in the first half. Scott Stewart was totally exposed at right back on several occasions. Having weathered that we should have taken the points. Young Clark is talented but maybe not ready for this level. He definitely has a crucial mistake in his play most games.
Nouble was a revelation today and well on his way to being a favourite. Like many I question the subs. Bobby should have stayed on and I don’t understand the logic of bringing Gav on at the end. Paterson could have injected some pace against a tiring defence.
A missed opportunity to make a winning start, today.

Inverness could easily have been ahead in the first half. Scott Stewart was totally exposed at right back on several occasions. Having weathered that we should have taken the points. Young Clark is talented but maybe not ready for this level. He definitely has a crucial mistake in his play most games.
Nouble was a revelation today and well on his way to being a favourite. Like many I question the subs. Bobby should have stayed on and I don’t understand the logic of bringing Gav on at the end. Paterson could have injected some pace against a tiring defence.
A missed opportunity to make a winning start, today.

I’ve not been clear why Gav has been a late substitute a few times recently. Is he supposed to create chances? Score? Shore up the defence? He just seems off the pace.

5 minutes ago, stan3600 said:

I’ve not been clear why Gav has been a late substitute a few times recently. Is he supposed to create chances? Score? Shore up the defence? He just seems off the pace.

Wouldn’t say he was off the pace but not really expecting a goal or an assist out of him when he comes on. When was his last one? He’s always always decent but not expecting him to make a big impact off the bench now 

When Linn goes off and Hilson comes on you’re looking at the rest of the subs bench asking yourself what have we actually got there to get us a goal. The Patterson things really strange for me, taking up a place in the squad and it’s early days yet but it doesn’t feel like he’s going to get much of a chance at all. 

Was really surprised Swankie was signed on, been a great player for us but he isn't a centre midfielder in the championship,
Agree Patterson is a strange one, I actually think a lot of our signings have been unusual but you got to trust the managers judgement as he got us where we are,
All today shows confirms what everyone's been saying for months, Donnelly is to hot and cold, Mckenna isn't a winger, Linn must stay on and we have absolutely zero goal threat at times

1 hour ago, alternative maryhill said:

I like to think that the club saw that post and that the economic realities of having to pay the carriage on the ear inspired the team to grind out the win.

Slightly surprised by how much criticism Arbroath are getting on here, given that they were the better team over the piece. There probably were too many long balls - from both teams, tbf - and the early substitution of Linn was a surprise, as he caused David Carson a lot of problems in the first half, but I thought Arbroath were generally quicker and more inventive than ICT up front, and we were hanging on pretty desperately at the end. Nouble, as a few people have mentioned, was excellent; looks like a really exciting signing.

For us, the midfield two looked like they understood their roles better than against Cove, with Allardice driving forward more and McAlear sitting, and the communication between the two looked better; Walsh caused the Arbroath defence problems, although his final ball was disappointing, as @sophia  has pointed out, and it looked like the team in general was treating him too much as our final out-ball  rather than getting McGregor involved (this improved a bit at the start of the second half, tbf); Duku worked hard throughout and Sutherland took his goal beautifully, but I'd like to have seen Sutherland and McGregor switching from time to time, to see if McGregor could drop deep and provide a better link between midfield and attack; Devine looked calm and assured, and was the most convincing of our defenders. 

Finally, I really hope that Billy Dodds is not going to make trying to defend a 1-0 lead a core strategy going forward, as we struggled with it today and just don't have players with the combination of pace, physical presence and composure to carry it off consistently; even within my cocoon of lunchtime booze, I found the last 15 minutes absolutely excruciating.     

Must admit i'm a bit surprised at the stick Arbroath are getting also, you'd think we had got a pumping the way some are going on i like you thought we were as good as if not better than Inverness overall just need someone to hit the net we always want one more touch before shooting.

Did not think TOB looked 100% fit. 2nd half was great for us after a poor first when we should have gone behind. Alas a mistake by a very promising loan youngster (we get no sell fee for helping him become a better player), referee and assistants missing sending off offence and we failed to take good chances. Thought Bobby had done all he could when he was subbied and alas Gav is not the answer when pushing for a last minute equaliser.
Great to be at a fitba match after 18 months especially before the winds and rains come. Gayfield is looking excellent and praise must go to the Board for this.
Come on the Lichties

15 minutes ago, keptie said:

Must admit i'm a bit surprised at the stick Arbroath are getting also, you'd think we had got a pumping the way some are going on i like you thought we were as good as if not better than Inverness overall just need someone to hit the net we always want one more touch before shooting.

Personally just frustrated, feel like we hampered ourselves before a ball was kicked and then never sorted it out the whole 90. Also the lack of options going forward is annoying at the moment. Can not fault players attitudes or effort or commitment they all put 100 percent in and we caused them a lot of problems. Also I have faith in DC to sort out the signings we need but it’ll just take time. Also the way we lost that goal. Frustrating day that

Edited by 1320Lichtie

5 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Personally just frustrated, feel like we hampered ourselves before a ball was kicked and then never sorted it out the whole 90. Also the lack of options going forward is annoying at the moment. Can not fault players attitudes or effort or commitment they all put 100 percent in and we caused them a lot of problems. Also I have faith in DC to sort out the signings we need but it’ll just take time. Frustrating day that

Yeah it was frustrating but  we didn't play badly. As for Bobby Linn coming off early in a lot of games what is he now 36 he has a lot of explosive running in the way he plays and you can't just ignore his age so DC will know he is very liable to get injured more now that's why he gets taken off early in some games. 70 minutes of Bobby or an injured Bobby?

24 minutes ago, keptie said:

Yeah it was frustrating but  we didn't play badly. As for Bobby Linn coming off early in a lot of games what is he now 36 he has a lot of explosive running in the way he plays and you can't just ignore his age so DC will know he is very liable to get injured more now that's why he gets taken off early in some games. 70 minutes of Bobby or an injured Bobby?

No really arsed if he’s 36 or not he looks as fit as he’s ever been. And it’s not just some games either it feels like it’s near enough every game, without looking. Just give him lighter sessions or something if he needs it but I seriously doubt it, there was a thing in the paper a month or so ago and he trains every night near enough.

2 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

No really arsed if he’s 36 or not he looks as fit as he’s ever been. And it’s not just some games either it feels like it’s near enough every game, without looking. Just give him lighter sessions or something if he needs it but I seriously doubt it, there was a thing in the paper a month or so ago and he trains every night near enough.

DC clearly has no idea what he's doing then.