Arbroath vs Caley Thistle

Just now, Highland Capital said:

There was a moment in the second half where some of the younger fans were shouting at Gaston (who took it all in good humour) and the female steward pulled down her mask (:blink:) to shout "You wantin' throon ooot?!" 

There was an older, green lanyard wearing guy as well who was missing many a tooth who seemed desperate to chuck someone out.

That’ll be the older lady who was shouting at them at the start then... and baldy guy? Aye he seems to think he’s the man like loves a bit of action. They’re all the exact type of people who you’d imagine to be stewards, the hall monitors at school who got bullied and want a bit of power. Absolutely outrageous overreaction yesterday and there’s no talking to them either. Zero people skills

We really should’ve scored 2 or 3 more yesterday. Shane should’ve scored the cut back in the first half and when McAlear’s boot connected with the ball Duku looked level at worst for the disallowed goal.

We got away with it yesterday but won’t against Raith.

1 minute ago, 1320Lichtie said:

That’ll be the older lady who was shouting at them at the start then... and baldy guy? Aye he seems to think he’s the man like loves a bit of action. They’re all the exact type of people who you’d imagine to be stewards, the hall monitors at school who got bullied and want a bit of power. Absolutely outrageous overreaction yesterday and there’s no talking to them either. Zero people skills

The bald guy with the snood?  That wasn't who I was meaning but I see someone on CaleyThistleOnline says he removed a fan using a headlock!  He seemed to wander off during the second half.  The guy I was referring to had glasses and suspenders.  Seemed absolutely desperate to throw someone out from what I could see but didn't get a chance to.

2 hours ago, alternative maryhill said:

Harper looked seriously vulnerable defensively against Cove, and that, along with the need to cover for Broadfoot's lack of pace, as @Juanhourjoe mentioned, has probably played a big part in the decision to bench him, but it would be a real shame if his development ends up stagnating because Dodds either doesn't trust him or doesn't see him working in his preferred approach. Early days, so hopefully the coaches are working on the defensive side of his game and before too long we'll see him back at LB and Deas back in the centre.

The simple solution to this problem is to drop Kirk Broadfoot. Hopefully Dodds realises this quickly. 

Just now, scottbamby said:

The simple solution to this problem is to drop Kirk Broadfoot. Hopefully Dodds realises this quickly. 

Broadfoot was generally fine yesterday, but I'd definitely rather see Deas and Devine in the middle. Suspect Broadfoot will be a first pick though, having been made vice-captain and having come up from Killie without a coaching role as part of the deal (afaik). Think there's some sort of family link between him and Dodds as well, is there not? 

46 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

The bald guy with the snood?  That wasn't who I was meaning but I see someone on CaleyThistleOnline says he removed a fan using a headlock!  He seemed to wander off during the second half.  The guy I was referring to had glasses and suspenders.  Seemed absolutely desperate to throw someone out from what I could see but didn't get a chance to.

Yeah in fairness that guy was absolutely away with it. When I was queuing to get in he fell over and nearly hit the wall right in front of the stewards. Then the reason he was thrown out was because he fell over at the back of the stand after sneaking in.

20 minutes ago, scottbamby said:

I would rather that too. Dodds seems to prefer defenders to defend, and just that. Which hopefully cuts out the dropped points, when we should have held out. I can see Harper playing more on the wing this season. Or coming on at left back when we're chasing the game.

I don't see the flat back 4 suiting Carson either btw. Seems more an up and down the park player.

5 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Also on the Bobby Linn thing.... Willie Gibson at QoTS.... enough said 

I think the management team will know what is best for Bobby Linn and Arbroath....nuff said.

I can see the reason for taking off Linn in certain circumstances but not yesterday. The obvious subs for me was Hilson for Donnely with McKenna going central to give Stewart more cover and Craigan for Clark. We have been playing well the last few weeks minus a few defensive blunders. To change the formation and tactics from what was very successful the last few games seemed strange.

Nouble is starting to blow off the cobwebs and he will be a handful for defences. If we can secure a decent loan signing up top we will have a chance this season.

1 hour ago, keptie said:

I think the management team will know what is best for Bobby Linn and Arbroath....nuff said.

Well it’s definitely not the best for Arbroath taking him off in a game like yesterday’s game. Maybe it is what Bobby needs but we will never know cause every time he plays and 60 minutes comes around he’s off the park. I think he’s capable of playing longer, the guy is flying. 

1 hour ago, Hammerafc said:

I can see the reason for taking off Linn in certain circumstances but not yesterday. The obvious subs for me was Hilson for Donnely with McKenna going central to give Stewart more cover and Craigan for Clark. We have been playing well the last few weeks minus a few defensive blunders. To change the formation and tactics from what was very successful the last few games seemed strange.

Nouble is starting to blow off the cobwebs and he will be a handful for defences. If we can secure a decent loan signing up top we will have a chance this season.

I know people like to hammer the lads up top, but id say id struggle to remember any service at all coming to them at all, simply hitting and hoping for the best, big Nouble can handle him self and looks like a good find, but we cant keep hitting him, and bypassing the other 10 players on the park. Little to no service at all, think people need to look at other areas of the park, forwards can only do so much with no service. Doesnt matter who plays up top they get battered, and to be fair the service is shocking. 

On 31/07/2021 at 20:23, timlichtie said:

Inverness could easily have been ahead in the first half. Scott Stewart was totally exposed at right back on several occasions. Having weathered that we should have taken the points. Young Clark is talented but maybe not ready for this level. He definitely has a crucial mistake in his play most games.
Nouble was a revelation today and well on his way to being a favourite. Like many I question the subs. Bobby should have stayed on and I don’t understand the logic of bringing Gav on at the end. Paterson could have injected some pace against a tiring defence.
A missed opportunity to make a winning start, today.

Im glad someone else seen this, that ball over the top to Tom Walsh worked time after time in the first half, strangely Tom Walsh moved over to the right after about 35 mins. If he had any end product it could have been so different. Not blaming Stewart, I know it isnt his position, but a blind man could see he was massively exposed at times, there was multiple diagonal balls over the top that left Walsh with tons of space. 

22 hours ago, Leicesterlichtie said:

As much as Donnelly has popped up with a few goals this season and watching him play on a fair few occasions now I still don't really know what his best position is. Part of that may be because we don't play to his strengths.

Play football, and you will see a player, play hit and hope then it all comes down to luck. That isnt his game, you can see he has a good touch, can pass and move, lumping a ball up in the air with little to no support isnt going to get the best out of anyone.

Last week everyone says it was his best match, this week he gets shifted position, gets no service and the fans are on his case again. Heard fans before the game questioning why he was even starting. He overran with the ball at one point and lost it, heard some fans saying get him off.

Other players making mistakes all over the park, not a word said. Think the big man will never please anyone at Arbroath.

Because hes a big guy, does not mean long balls is his strength.

When he was signed, Arbroath confirmed he was a midfielder/forward

When he played with Celtic, he was a Midfielder/No10.

Not sure he was ever a target man from the people ive spoken too.

IMO we are not using him to the best of his ability, same can be said for many others though, guess you need to fit in with how DC wants to play, and thats hard to argue with, whether we like the football being played, hes kept us up, he clearly gets results, but we need to grind them out at times and it will never be pretty.

Screenshot 2021-08-01 at 20.45.06.png

Screenshot 2021-08-01 at 20.47.06.png

Think the majority of the support really likes LD now to be fair he’s become a wee bit of a favourite I think. But certainly not a number 10 at this level. Needs to be the focal point of the attack and have the ball played into his feet. He was played out of position yesterday after playing very well upfront in the league cup. Not really fair.

Stewart was left 2 on 1 a lot and had a really good game considering. McKenna found himself coming inside a lot trying to close down players. Also impossible for a RB to be on top of a winger when they’re hugging the touch line, too much space left through the middle.

And that once again brings us right back to Bobby, he does the exact same and always finds himself as an out ball in plenty of space, when Hilson comes on out there in a 4-4-2 he comes inside. 

When Hilson come on yesterday it was basically a 4-2-4, with 4 forwards in the middle of the park, midfield completely bypassed and launched up to LD/McKenna/Hilson/Nouble. Low and Craigen were just there trying to get second balls. Low wasn’t able to get his foot on the ball the whole game. 

It was just a mess I thought, I thought we gave them a right battle but as a team I think we’re a lot better than that.

The formation yesterday for me looked different from what we've seen so far under Dodds.  It looked more like a lopsided 4-3-3 with MacGregor playing as a kind of wide right central midfielder and Walsh as part of the front three high on the left.  Thought Allardice and McAlear were decent but I really don't like MacGregor wide - he seems to be played in the centre (either deep or forward) or not at all.

Still peed off about losing that goal and at least a point and agree with points made about West making what could be costly mistakes regularly, definitely costly in this game. 

Also go along with the points made about playing players out of position especially when there doesn't seem to be any advantage gained. Surely if such a tactic is obviously not working you change it sooner rather than later.

So a poor start to the league campaign against a side that we should be capable of taking points off.  Just hope we can get something from the next game against Ayr. Don't want to have another start like we did last season in the league.