The Ayrshire Derby (Act 1)

6 minutes ago, Jeff Venom said:

Same for me, being competitive and getting a draw would do for me at this stage, anything better a bonus.
I was there in 96 when Bobby Connor put them out the cup but our more recent visits haven't been as fruitful. Apart from 96 I can't recall seeing us win there since I started going around 1990 though I may have been too young.

And let's be honest here: Killie are the jammiest, luckiest club in Scottish football history, if luck is going to land at anyone's feet next Monday, it's going to be theirs.

Please show your workings, be very specific.

We look short of first choice strikers. Haven't had a lot of time for the raft of new signings to blend yet, but results have been generally positive so far and though I haven't seen enough of the team yet to fully feel invested in them, I am generally satisfied with the signings we've made (aforementioned lack of centre forwards notwithstanding). I don't know much about Ayr's squad as I generally struggle to memorise my own clubs players and results, so never manage to check how other teams are doing, but I'd imagine with it being a derby and the first league game it may be quite a tight game, at least in the early stages. Unless we pull a couple of goalscorers out of the bag in the coming days and then I'd be confident of a home banker.

In pre-season, I have been happy with our overall play for the most part. As other posters have mentioned, we look short upfront. I am still not convinced that Innes has enough to be one of our main strikers this year. 

In this game, I think it could go either way. We have dominated play in the last two games without being clinical enough to put teams away convincingly. I haven't followed how Ayr have been doing in pre-season apart from their first game, where most of their posters seemed irate at Hopkin. As such, I am not too sure where their strengths lie. Though some recent comments seem to suggest their defence has improved somewhat over the past few weeks.   

If we can get a striker in, I think we could get a comfortable 2-0 win. Otherwise, a tight affair with us winning is most likely.

4 hours ago, craigkillie said:

I wouldn't really say we struggled in the League Cup, we were by far the better team in all four games (as you'd expect us to be). We're definitely a body or two short in attack - if we'd had a Lafferty yesterday we'd have won about 7-1.

But you don’t have and you didn’t ! If you want to put it that way , if we had a Shankland we would have scored numerous more goals in this Premier Cup 

But you don’t have and you didn’t ! If you want to put it that way , if we had a Shankland we would have scored numerous more goals in this Premier Cup 

Well aye, but the point is that we look like a good team, and we are definitely going to strengthen in attack before the window closes. Not sure if we'll have someone in time for this game right enough.

6 hours ago, craigkillie said:

I wouldn't really say we struggled in the League Cup, we were by far the better team in all four games (as you'd expect us to be). We're definitely a body or two short in attack - if we'd had a Lafferty yesterday we'd have won about 7-1.

While you absolutely were the better team against us and did get the equaliser eventually so can take confidence from that, the caveat to this is that you didn't seem to have much idea how to open us up when we parked everyone within 35 yards of our own goal in the second half. Eventually you did find your way through as we tired, but I'm not sure every team will fade as we did and end up allowing a free header at the back post.

It wouldn't be at all surprising if Ayr set out to shitfest for a point with everyone behind the ball from the start of this game, so I'd be interested to see how Kilmarnock cope with that challenge.

36 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Well aye, but the point is that we look like a good team, and we are definitely going to strengthen in attack before the window closes. Not sure if we'll have someone in time for this game right enough.

Same here , looking forward too it , it will be a close game , we look very good defensively and also hoping to get 3 in this week 

5 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

While you absolutely were the better team against us and did get the equaliser eventually so can take confidence from that, the caveat to this is that you didn't seem to have much idea how to open us up when we parked everyone within 35 yards of our own goal in the second half. Eventually you did find your way through as we tired, but I'm not sure every team will fade as we did and end up allowing a free header at the back post.

It wouldn't be at all surprising if Ayr set out to shitfest for a point with everyone behind the ball from the start of this game, so I'd be interested to see how Kilmarnock cope with that challenge.

I do agree with you that we ran out of ideas a bit in the second half, but I think realistically if we played that game over again we'd probably win it 60-70% of the time. I appreciate that there are probably better teams than Morton in the league this season, but I was more confident about our chances after that game than I was before it in terms of how we imposed ourselves on a team at the same level as us.

I don't think there are too many goals in our team as yet, so we'll have to wait a while to hand out a pumping in this fixture - although I do fancy it'll happen in one of the games this season...

Can see Ayr getting a draw next Monday - DVD to be in their club shop in time for Christmas.

I don't think there are too many goals in our team as yet, so we'll have to wait a while to hand out a pumping in this fixture - although I do fancy it'll happen in one of the games this season...
Can see Ayr getting a draw next Monday - DVD to be in their club shop in time for Christmas.

DVD? I remember them, you still got a blockbusters in the badlands?