Greenock Morton vs Dunfermline Athletic - Sat 31st July

4 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

Why are we persisting with an on loan youngster from Utd instead of big Vytas? He'd have eaten Ugwu up like jelly today. Instead Gozie absolutely tortures the young clown. 

I liked Dorrans second half, that was decent. But this set up is needing changed sometimes when it's not working. Sometimes you just want to see Thomas out wide and getting crosses into the box instead of him being so central. 

Graham was brought in to play on the left side of the defence, his competition is Breen not Gaspuitis who wouldnt have done any better against Ugwu if he couldnt cope with Jack Hamilton last season against Arbroath and got hooked as a result.

3 hours ago, Chubbychops said:

You can see glimpses of the quality we have, but we need to find a way of blending it together.

Dorrans looks class at times but having Thomas alongside him is not good. Thomas is a winger. We need to stop try to put square pegs in circular holes. Comrie is a right back not a centre half, he is way better that McDonald too.

Macdonald is a better option as a wing back than Comrie in my opinion, Comrie adds more pace at the back playing in the middle than the other options. they could have played any other system today, too many individuals not turning up was the bigger problem, both on and off the ball. 

4 hours ago, DAFC. said:

I’ve heard from someone close to the club Vytas hasn’t settled and will be offski.

Play like that against Sevco and it could be double figures. I think Grant expected us just to turn up today and be this free flowing team and score plenty goals. Reality check.

some fans did, Grant wont have if you ask me. teams/players have an off day, it happens, if it continues to happen then its a problem.

Edited by The Great Cornholio

8 hours ago, DAFC. said:

Quite surprised to see Watson and Dorrans starting. If we can’t smash Morton at Cappielow with this squad, we never will.

IMG_7739.jpg

You took the words out my mouth.

In reality lucky to survive the first half, got a couple of gifts before we grabbed our delicious leveller 

Yes you seem to be our bitches but heaven knows why!!!!

2 hours ago, The Great Cornholio said:

Macdonald is a better option as a wing back than Comrie in my opinion, Comrie adds more pace at the back playing in the middle than the other options.

I think McDonald lacks pace as an attacking full back and Comrie lacks strength as a centre back. The back three have been leaking poor goals even against weaker opposition and I think it will get even worse against better teams than Morton. Twice we left Morton players unmarked in the box and fortunately we didn't get punished. That's on top of the shocking penalty we gave away. I think a flat back four will be easier to organise. Get width from the likes of Thomas and Kennedy and take one of the the three strikers out. Fantasy football playing with three strikers. 

Edited by Chubbychops

First half we were excellent although Dunfermline always looked handy going forward. Big Ugwu was class today and ripped the defence to shreds. Oliver and Lithgow stand outs too. In the end a draw was a fair result as the pars improved second half.

Promising start for us. Ideally I'd like to see another centre mid, winger, striker and a centre half come in at the very least.  Also someone who can hit a dead ball would be nice!

2 minutes ago, Chubbychops said:

I think McDonald lacks pace as an attacking full back and Comrie lacks strength as a centre back. The back three have been leaking poor goals even against weaker opposition and I think it will get even worse against better teams than Morton. Twice we left Morton players unmarked in the box and fortunately we didn't get punished. That's on top of the shocking penalty we gave away. I think a flat back four will be better to organise. Get width from the likes of Thomas and Kennedy and take one of the the three stiker out. Fantasy football playing with three strikers against championship sides imo.

I’m not sure what goals we can put down to comrie playing at RCB.  

Stenny,  MacDonald trying to take a player on one on one after comrie had gone past him. 

Dumbarton,  2 today, Patrick’s first-  Graham mostly at fault, More than  enough for him to get dropped.

St mirren, Patrick’s 2nd ,  no real individual mistakes,  more not clearing our box as a team.

yes on the first one today, can only guess he was trying to head it back towards Mehmet? but the second is harsh and probably Partick too,  i wouldnt drop him just yet but if there are another couple of costly mistakes then its up to Breen to show in training he is ready to take the spot.

the three strikers can work if any of them perform, none of them did today. going 442 is always the answer whenever a side doesnt play it but i dont think Grant will change from 343/3421/352 for a while yet.

19 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

I’m not sure what goals we can put down to comrie playing at RCB.  

Not saying he been responsible for goals, more that I prefer him as a right back. A better wing back option than McDonald. I also think a flat back four would be better than the back three.I would prefer wingers than wing backs and drop one of the strikers.

16 minutes ago, Chubbychops said:

Not saying he been responsible for goals, more that I prefer him as a right back. A better wing back option than McDonald. I also think a flat back four would be better than the back three.I would prefer wingers than wing backs and drop one of the strikers.

A move to a back 4 certainly offers some benefits.  

If we do stick with the current system I’m not sure there’s another option until Martin gets fit for RCB.  Breen and Graham are there to compete for LCB and I think Watson and Vytas are going to play in the middle of the 3. But until Martin gets fit I don’t think we have a right footed player who can do what grant wants from the wider center backs.

Edited by parsforlife

4 hours ago, The Great Cornholio said:

Some fans did, Grant wont have if you ask me. teams/players have an off day, it happens, if it continues to happen then its a problem.

Not quite sure what Dunfermline have achieved yet for that performance to be dismissed as an "off day". Given the way the team was set up, I'd expect the pattern of that game to happen quite often this season tbh. If Grant could get the most from the squad at his disposal than Alloa wouldn't have sank without a serious struggle last season.

Edited by vikingTON

18 minutes ago, virginton said:

Not quite sure what Dunfermline have achieved yet for that performance to be dismissed as an "off day". Given the way the team was set up, I'd expect the pattern of that game to happen quite often this season tbh. If Grant could get the most from the squad at his disposal than Alloa wouldn't have sank without a serious struggle last season.

I posted this after the 5-1 win over Dumbarton:

Not sure how reliable this squad and system will be against better sides - the middle of the park is still alarmingly flimsy

Yesterday’s game seemed to back up that concern. A lot of Pars fans have hit out at the defending but I don’t think they’d have as much to do if passing was more accurate and midfield wasn’t largely non-existent.

I think the system Grant wants to play is quite aggressive and only works if your team is extremely fit and very clinical in front of goal. I’m not sure what his back-up plan is or if he even has one. We’ll need to wait and see.

Edited by Cardle is Magic

What is clear is that he has to change that tactic for the league. It’s alright in (what is essentially) pre season cup games against part-timers, but your going to get found out big style in the league. No matter how weak Morton’s squad is, they got the tactics spot on and Graham made Ugwu look like prime Zidane with the high balls up to him.

Grant is going to need to drop one of the strikers for a midfielder and Graham also needs dropped. Comrie is not a centre half and, as much as MacDonald doesn’t deserve to be dropped, it doesn’t help the team overall by fudging your best defender at centre half because we didn’t have anyone else pre-season. Unfortunately that means MacDonald needs to make way. Gaspuitis would have thrived in that game yesterday. You need centre halves that are no-nonsense like him and get right through strikers akin to Ugwu.

Would prefer to see a back 3 of Watson, Vytas and Breen. Edwards and Comrie as the wing backs. Won’t happen though.

Much more interesting - and enjoyable - game than I was expecting, largely because we got the set-up and approach right in the first half… and a ridiculous, arrogant team selection from the away manager.

Hynes consistently going high to make it a 3-4-3 in possession, with Ugwu excellent and Oliver playing free against a midfield two of, eh, Thomas and Dorrans… ridiculous.

Dunfermline clocked what was happening second half and we ended up almost in a 4-4-2, with both Oliver and Ugwu less effective and Hynes and McGregor coming under pressure. I suppose Grant should get some credit for adjusting, but he caused it in the first place.

That meant that we could carry Muirhead’s ineffectiveness in the first half, but we looked as though we were a man down after the equaliser.

Fair play for rescuing a point in the end… now please sign some players.