Greenock Morton vs Dunfermline Athletic - Sat 31st July

59 minutes ago, virginton said:

Unless your surname starts between A-L, who have to traipse in before 2:15, sip on their wee Capri-Suns and bounce to 'Live is Life' on an endless loop until kick-off.

@Dunning1874

1253606552_tenor(8).gif.d73c4d3dcc7daab04887ea241b1bf632.gif

I can confirm that I will be drinking massive, massive quantities of capri-sun.

1 hour ago, virginton said:

While the squad is a total nick/non-essential, the first XI doesn't actually look worse than what we had at the end of last season when we were drawing literally every game at this level. If not 'much better' for losing McGinty and his one-man sabotage act in the middle of the defence every week. 

I think we might get a draw from this one. If Grant has his team giving up as much space as his Alloa sides did every week then Dunfermline will be far from invulnerable. 

2-2

Yeah, didn’t want to tempt fate by overdoing it, but I agree: Lithgow is a stratospheric upgrade on McGinty, Ugwu much better than Orsi…

Blues for McGinn, on the other hand… and we’ve got nothing but boys off the bench, in a game where I expect the starting 11 will be required to put in a real shift.

Yeah, the starting XI is stronger in defence and at centre forward, weaker everywhere else.

Taking the squad as a whole:

McAdams out, Hamilton in - downgrade, although Hamilton has played well in the League Cup

Fjortoft & McGinty out, Lithgow in - upgrade, despite everything. Even if you want to do a one to one comparison here, Lithgow > Fjortoft and genuinely not having a player > McGinty. Another signing still needed though.

McGinn and Colville out, no one in - we're hugely weaker in central midfield, although Colville hadn't been getting a game anyway. Signings needed urgently.

Nesbitt, McGuffie (and Johnson if he counts) out, Russell in - just having to guess this is where Russell will be used and further guesswork on how good he is, but if he's at the same level as when he left us then probably downgrade. Another signing needed.

Orsi and Salkeld out, Ugwu in - upgrade, but another signing needed.

5 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

Orsi and Salkeld out, Ugwu in - upgrade, but another signing needed.

Ugwu's a strange one. Some of us think he should have been kept because we've left ourselves with midget forwards but no one will miss him otherwise. He's good at holding and bringing others into play, ruffles defenders and scores the odd goal. He's missed more sitters than he's scored. He might come good for you guys tho .

PS - he's well remembered for scoring a cracker against Dunfermline in the play-offs - Here's hoping for a repitiion :)

Edited by Raith_Raver

1 minute ago, Raith_Raver said:

Ugwu's a strange one. Some of us think he should have been kept because we've left ourselves with midget forwards but no one will miss him otherwise. He's good at holding and bringing others into play, ruffles defenders and scores the odd goal. He's missed more sitters than he's scored. He might come good for you guys tho .

None of that prevents the previous statement being true though  Orsi and Salkeld are horse 

Pars starting line-up

29 Deniz Mehmet 2 Aaron Comrie 44 Paul Watson 5 Ross Graham 6 Kyle Macdonald 17 Graham Dorrans 23 Dom Thomas (c) 3 Josh Edwards 7 Kevin O’Hara 10 Nikolay Todorov 9 Craig Wighton

Dunfermline Subs:- 8 Kai Kennedy 12 Rhys Breen 13 Vytas Gašpuitis 16 Dan Pybus 18 Paul Allan 44 Reece Cole 1 Owain Fôn Williams (GK)

Mehmet takes keeper spot. Kennedy on bench. Dorrans starts in place of Cole.

5 minutes ago, DAFC. said:

Quite surprised to see Watson and Dorrans starting. If we can’t smash Morton at Cappielow with this squad, we never will.

IMG_7739.jpg

Without knowing anything about how you have set up in the league cup, isn’t that central midfield ridiculously open... I’m assuming it’s only Dorrans sitting deeper, and even at that he’s hardly a defensive, break up the play style midfielder. 

Without knowing anything about how you have set up in the league cup, isn’t that central midfield ridiculously open... I’m assuming it’s only Dorrans sitting deeper, and even at that he’s hardly a defensive, break up the play style midfielder. 

The style we play give people like O’Hara to plug any potential holes in midfield. They look like they know what to do well, but I’m never confident of an away day at Cappielow.