Greenock Morton vs Dunfermline Athletic - Sat 31st July

2 hours ago, Toby said:

I’ve never understood why Morton have been seen as some sort of bogey team to Dunfermline in recent times- yes, we’re in a bit of a state just now, but over the last decade we’ve finished above them 6 times out of ten, including a season when we won the league and they finished below Brechin City and knocked them out the Scottish Cup a couple of times since then.

Maybe rather than “putting things right”, Dunfermline’s record against Morton is an accurate reflection of where the two clubs have been in the last ten years or so.

Not going to address most of this post as it’s a 4/10 wind-up at best but did you really try and brag about winning the League 1 title?

2 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Here, someone pat Toby on the head and tell him Morton are good at football? f**k me he needs validation bad. 

Being better than Dunfermline more often than not doesn’t quite constitute being up there with the Ajax team of the early 70s- nice try, though.

14 minutes ago, Toby said:

Being better than Dunfermline more often than not doesn’t quite constitute being up there with the Ajax team of the early 70s- nice try, though.

More often than not? Are you high? 

3 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

More often than not? Are you high? 

I missed out “in the last decade” in that post, although it’s pretty obvious from my previous ones that’s the period I’m referring to. Would you dispute that?

14 minutes ago, Toby said:

I missed out “in the last decade” in that post, although it’s pretty obvious from my previous ones that’s the period I’m referring to. Would you dispute that?

Cool, just so you know that Dunfermline are better than Morton, more often than not. 

Despite this we have a worse head to head record, this is why Morton are referred to as a bogey team, because more often than not you are worse than us, and yet we haven't beaten you as many times. 

That was pretty obvious though. 

6 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Cool, just so you know that Dunfermline are better than Morton, more often than not. 

Despite this we have a worse head to head record, this is why Morton are referred to as a bogey team, because more often than not you are worse than us, and yet we haven't beaten you as many times. 

That was pretty obvious though. 

And Morton have historically been better than Ross County. I wouldn’t however consider them a bogey team now.

And Morton have historically been better than Ross County. I wouldn’t however consider them a bogey team now.
I'd imagine cause it's rare you're in the same league as them of late as opposed to us. It's not that hard to understand.

1 minute ago, Cardle is Magic said:

I don’t think Morton have competed in the top flight in my lifetime and I’m almost 30 years old.

Absolute diddies tbh.

Whilst in the last ten years, you’ve been even worse. That must smart.

19 minutes ago, Toby said:

We are very aware how bad an era this has been for us. Nobody is trying to hide that,  the scrambling to to use the fact you've beaten us a few times during this period somehow makes morton good is the bizarre part here.

30 minutes ago, Toby said:

Well yes, however 3 times out of the past 5 years we've finished above you, which is why I'd imagine you're so keen to use 10 years as some weird yardstick. 

Any more than 10 years, hilarity at Morton, less than 10 years and it becomes apparent that we're coming out of the period where Morton could be considered a better team. 

The definition of a bogey team to me would refer to a team who regularly win league titles etc. but regularly get beaten by a “diddy” team that can’t beat anyone else, therefore this doesn’t apply in the case of Morton v Dunfermline, much as I’ve always admired The Pars and their history. It used to annoy me intensely though when Aberdeen called Morton their bogey team in the late 70’s. Morton had two incredible unbeaten runs in that period, one a year unbeaten at Cappielow and another 18 months unbeaten away from home. Despite the fact this included Celtic and Rangers who couldn’t beat us either, the Dons chose to call Us their bogey team. Gordon Strachan always said “I hate Cappielow, the ground just closes in on you”. Morton will beat The Pars on Saturday!

On 25/07/2021 at 09:00, Mr.Blue said:

Dunfermline have started well and have made some good signings. Head says 3-1 pars, heart says 1-1.

You need to have a word with your heart only wanting a draw ffs.

1 hour ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Beating clubs that think they’re bigger and better than they are like Dunfermline, Falkirk, and ‘Partick Thistle’ is very pleasant… I can’t lie.

While for us victories over Morton are not memorable in the least.

Christ. I didn’t think calling Morton our bogey team would be controversial, but here we are.

For anyone who wanted my definition, I’d say it’s any team who isn’t much bigger than your club but you have a shite record against them. For us, that’ll be anyone smaller than the old firm, hearts Hibs and Aberdeen.

Anyone outside that, we should have at least a fairly balanced record but against Morton, particularly at Cappielow in recent years, our record is honking, making them somewhat a bogey team for us.