Greenock Morton vs Dunfermline Athletic - Sat 31st July

With another promising League Cup group stage behind us, it’s almost time for the real stuff to begin.

Peter Grant has made it very clear that he wants Pars to challenge for the title while I’m sure Morton would be happy to stay away from danger, after surviving the play-offs last season.

We’re probably not allowed in but not sure I can stomach any more streams.

Tough start to the league for us. Gus has us trying to play football and which is a welcome sight after hopkin's pish. He's also giving youth a chance which is a real positive but we must add to the squad before this game. Defence and GK has been solid enough although McLean may be out as he was stretchered off yesterday but ledger is more than capable. In midfield I'd like to see reinforcements.... Jacobs is a starter but Lyons and Blues aren't convincing me at the moment. Up top muirhead frustrates the life out of me but scored two yesterday and I really like big Ugwu who puts a shift in and is proving a handful. I'd like to see Gary Oliver start too as he was excellent against Killie and did well yesterday too. 

The younger players like mcgarrity, McGregor etc have done well but I do feel we more competition on the team. Hopefully we bring in a few quality additions this week. As of now I'd go with:

Hamilton

Hynes ledger Lithgow strapp 

Lyon Jacobs Blues 

Oliver

Ugwu muirhead 

Definitely like to see a new player in that midfield at the very least but expect 3/4 to come in.

Dunfermline have started well and have made some good signings. Head says 3-1 pars, heart says 1-1.

We are definitely short in attacking options. We are strong in defence, albeit McLean will most likely be out.

We MUST add to our squad next week and it MUST be quality.

Right now as things stand I'd go for 0-0. 

It’ll suit us if Morton come and have a go, there’s a lot of pace and energy with our wingbacks and 3 forwards, and a bit of creativity from Thomas in the middle. Our wingbacks will cause teams problems this season, and it suits them to get a bit of space in between fullbacks and centre halves. I think teams will get more joy from sitting and deep and limiting our options.

Can’t be arsed with a stream again so there’s little chance that I’ll see it.

11 hours ago, Cardle is Magic said:

We’re probably not allowed in but not sure I can stomach any more streams.

Our own season ticket holders don't even know how they're supposed to get into the game yet or what hoops they're going to need to jump through so that's a fair assumption.

0-0 unless we sign a goalscorer.

4 minutes ago, #Gary said:

Our own season ticket holders don't even know how they're supposed to get into the game yet or what hoops they're going to need to jump through so that's a fair assumption.

0-0 unless we sign a goalscorer.

Read your conditions for the Clyde game.  Utterly insane,  way beyond what any other club I’ve seen require.

Edited by parsforlife

Our record down there is fucking hoaching and it’s about time it was put right, but as usual, we’ll no doubt f*ck it up and lose a last minute goal to Ugwu, Muirhead, or some other jobber.

I think we’ll stick with the tried and tested for now. I don’t think we’ll see Breen start and Comrie going out to RWB just yet. Most likely be the same team that rattled Stenny, unless Watson is fit he should come in for Gaspuitiš

37 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Read your conditions for the Clyde game.  Utterly insane,  way beyond what any other club I’ve seen require.

When I was in picking up my ticket for the Clyde game, the guy in the ticket office was bemoaning the hoops they were having to jump through, so I reckon that's what the local Council has imposed on us, as opposed to what the club have decided to do.

Yesterday throughout the game, stewards were consistently going around and telling people to put their masks on in the cowshed. Seemed rather overkill when it doesn't appear that other clubs/stadiums are enforcing things quite are stringently.

Anyway, onto the game. We look decent defensively once again, but mirroring last season, we look like we'll struggle to create much. Creativity in the middle of the park and some pace in the wide areas is definitely required if we're to have any sort of success this season.

Reckon we might lose this one. The squad just isn't strong enough at this stage, and Dunfermline are looking decent.

We’re clearly behind in our preparation and I fancy Dunfermline to finish 2nd over the piece (and maybe even win it if the Kilmarnock re-jig hits problems, which it might very well do)… but would anybody be surprised if this finishes 1-1?

Morton supporters would certainly take it… and the goal going in off Bonnie Prince Robbie’s arse would make it feel like a victory.

Last 10 league games between us at Cappielow:

Morton 0-0 Pars

Morton 3-2 Pars

Morton 1-1 Pars

Morton 0-0 Pars

Morton 1-1 Pars

Morton 2-1 Pars

Morton 3-2 Pars

Morton 0-1 Pars

Morton 2-1 Pars

Morton 2-0 Pars

We’ve won twice at Cappielow in the league since winning promotion to the SPL there in April 2011. 3 points would therefore be a very welcome start to the new season.

Edited by Cardle is Magic

I’ve never understood why Morton have been seen as some sort of bogey team to Dunfermline in recent times- yes, we’re in a bit of a state just now, but over the last decade we’ve finished above them 6 times out of ten, including a season when we won the league and they finished below Brechin City and knocked them out the Scottish Cup a couple of times since then.

Maybe rather than “putting things right”, Dunfermline’s record against Morton is an accurate reflection of where the two clubs have been in the last ten years or so.

I’ve never understood why Morton have been seen as some sort of bogey team to Dunfermline in recent times- yes, we’re in a bit of a state just now, but over the last decade we’ve finished above them 6 times out of ten, including a season when we won the league and they finished below Brechin City and knocked them out the Scottish Cup a couple of times since then.
Maybe rather than “putting things right”, Dunfermline’s record against Morton is an accurate reflection of where the two clubs have been in the last ten years or so.
I'd disagree. Over the last 10 years we've been much the same tbh but the record at Cappielow is very lopsided, therefore its viewed as a bit of a bogey team/visit for us. Dont see what's difficult to understand about that.

8 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:
38 minutes ago, Toby said:

I'd disagree. Over the last 10 years we've been much the same tbh but the record at Cappielow is very lopsided, therefore its viewed as a bit of a bogey team/visit for us. Dont see what's difficult to understand about that.

We finished above you five years in a row, have knocked you out the cup a couple of times,  skelped you 4-1 and 4-0 at East End Park and taken 12 points from 12 against you over the course of a season in that time.

We’ve been better than you, don’t see what’s difficult to understand about that.

We finished above you five years in a row, have knocked you out the cup a couple of times,  skelped you 4-1 and 4-0 at East End Park and taken 12 points from 12 against you over the course of a season in that time.
We’ve been better than you, don’t see what’s difficult to understand about that.
But even in the seasons where we've finished above you, our results against Morton have been poor. Bogey team. Dont see how that's difficult to understand.

19 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:
49 minutes ago, Toby said:

But even in the seasons where we've finished above you, our results against Morton have been poor. Bogey team. Dont see how that's difficult to understand.

They’ve not really though- in the most recent season you won one, lost one (at East End Park) and drew one, going out the cup to us.  The season prior to that, your league record against us was similar. Matching an established Championship team across the head to heads can hardly be considered as a “poor” record.

The seasons you’ve struggled against us we’ve been better than- it’s really not that difficult to get your head around.